Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing the body from the pan
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim H.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Removing the body from the pan Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to remove the body-frame from the floor/chassis on a Bug? I have a nice '56 Bug on a '63 pan, and I was thinking of replacing the chassis with a (don't cringe too much) '69 Autostick pan. I've heard that 4 strong dudes can lift up the body of a Bug. But if I can't find 3 others, what other (cheap) options are available to do this? I really don't want to sell my '56 Oval, but I just acquired the '69 autostick for daily driving. Thanx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Removing the body from the pan Reply with quote

While I've removed them with 4 people (the more hands the merrier obviously especially in case of sudden mishaps)

With a gutted body, usually it's just me and my son and just the two of us can very easily pick ours up from the front & rear rear apron corners (rubber gloves will help grip the corners greatly) and simply move it a few small steps to the side & set on horses waiting in place... And while we can do it with the motor in place it is much easier if the motor is out... We've done 6 over the years and have never had a mishap ever...

And you can also pull them off solo as well here is a pretty good documented method...

Link

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing the body from the pan Reply with quote

... very doable... even by one strong guy, one weak guy and 2 overweight guys... back in the day, my wife and used to lift bug bodies off pans... too old now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lifting a body solo... is the way I have don it for the last few years... allow the pan to rest on the ground and jack the body up, high enough to pull the pan away from my old Iceland green '55 body... removing the tires makes the car lower and less jacking up... about 6 hours, for me... is a lot of fun... and just slide the new tire-less pan back under there and lower the body... pretty simple.

... same method used here on my '60 Euro...

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing the body from the pan Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the rear body mounts will need to be modified for the body to fit on the pan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: