Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting ready for the long haul
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

I am in the middle of getting my buggy ready for a trip to Big Bear Lake for the Manx Club Meet this July.

So far my Wife is on board for going along and we are now planning to take at least 10 days to do the round trip.
It will be over 1300 miles one way and we plan on going from NW. Washington State through the high desert of Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon and on through Reno, Nevada and Carson City.
We plan on checking out Bodie, Ca. and also stopping at Lone Pine, Ca. to hopefully see Mt. Whitney, the highest place in the Continental U.S. and also BadWater in Death Valley at the lowest pace in the Continental U.S..
From there it is an easy run to Big Bear Lake.

Since my Wife insisted that a rollbar was needed to support a top for shade and rain protection.... it has been at the forefront of my winter upgrades.

Here is my new rollcage.

Still at the builder...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

At home on the floor getting prepped for paint.

Painted with a rattle can for this year at least...

Reinstalled into the buggy...

This was one of the most expensive upgrades I have done to my buggy in one shot except maybe the engine running a close second.

Next was a top for shade mostly, but also for some rain protection. We decided to use some Denim type material as a test run but it might end up being the real deal if it turns out nice enough.

I picked up a "Bestop" C channel and mounted it on the windshield by drilling some holes with a #29 drill bit and then tapping it with an 8-32 tap.
I used some 3/4X 8-32 stainless screws to hold it on after cutting the two pieces to the correct length. I also picked up some material to sew into the top that fits into the C channel.

Here is the C channel mounted....

Next was cutting the material to shape and checking the fit.

We still have along way to go but it should be an experience to remember.

We have done a couple 750-900 mile multi day drives in the last couple years but nothing more than a 4 day outing.

I'm not too concerned about the buggy making the trip since it has been a reliable ride for many years now.

I have EFI and a turbo so I don't think I'll have any trouble keeping up with traffic..... Cool Cool Laughing

I'll update this once we get the top a little farther along.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Nice job, should be a great trip.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

If you like high desert and old ghost towns, you will love Bodie, figure on spending better part of day there and lots of walking....

We were there last fall and its a great place to just visit and wonder what life was like in its boom times...

We are just on west side of the Sierras from it...

Suggest if you have not been there and can work in a extra day or so, you might want to consider Yosemite Valley

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Mon May 16, 2016 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Just a curiosity question....
Would it not have been easier to reverse the windshield frame to put the groove in front?
As well as eliminating the screwed on strip on top of the frame, the front of the doors would be easier to seal.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Just a curiosity question....
Would it not have been easier to reverse the windshield frame to put the groove in front?
As well as eliminating the screwed on strip on top of the frame, the front of the doors would be easier to seal.

Doors??? What doors????? Laughing

No doors will ever go on this buggy.... It is open air all the way.

Cocerning the windshield.... Whoever installed it and cut the dash off the hood put the frame in a vise and bent the bottom to give the windshield its rake.
Turning it 180 degrees was a whole new can of worms that I didn't want to tackle back when I built the buggy 12-14 years ago.
This top is only for the trip to keep my Wife happy.
I doubt I would ever use it beyond that.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
If you like high desert and old ghost towns, you will love Bodie, figure on spending better part of day there and lots of walking....

We were there last fall and its a great place to just visit and wonder what life was like in its boom times...

We are just on west side of the Sierras for it...

Suggest if you have not been there and can work in a extra day or so, you might want to consider Yosemite Valley

Dale

Thanks for the info Dale!!!
We are probably leaving on the 1st of July so we will have seven days to get down there.
I will check out Yosemite also to see if we can swing a visit there.
Maybe trade that for Badwater since traveling into a hot desert by ourselves might not be too wise whereas Yosemite might be a better choice.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Having left Big Bear twice and ran through the Mojave Desert both trips, and last year through Death Valley, hydration is super important. In "14, the temperature went to 131* F in the Mojave. France and Vincent had Ice Vests, we had Frog Toggs to help keep us cool.

In '15 it was unseasonably cool. Only got to 100*F in the Mojave and 107*F in Death Valley, so we were lucky. But no fooling, it is a health threat to be taken seriously. Not caffeinated beverages during that area, just sports drinks and water.

Both trips we averaged close to a 1/2 gallon per hour intake.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Having left Big Bear twice and ran through the Mojave Desert both trips, and last year through Death Valley, hydration is super important. In "14, the temperature went to 131* F in the Mojave. France and Vincent had Ice Vests, we had Frog Toggs to help keep us cool.

In '15 it was unseasonably cool. Only got to 100*F in the Mojave and 107*F in Death Valley, so we were lucky. But no fooling, it is a health threat to be taken seriously. Not caffeinated beverages during that area, just sports drinks and water.

Both trips we averaged close to a 1/2 gallon per hour intake.

Thanks for the info Joe,

I was thinking of staying in Lone Pine, Ca. for a night and going to Badwater early in the morning like 6:30-7:00 am and hopefully be out again by 10:30-11:00 am. We would then drive up to Mt. Whitney just 12 miles west of Lone Pine to be at the highest point in the afternoon.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Last edited by clonebug on Tue May 17, 2016 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

YEP... In desert figure what amount of hydration you may need, and double it... And desert is so dry you don't feel the perspiration becasue it drys so fast you don't realize how much fluid your body is dumping trying to stay cool... Another thing if you are going to be in desert more than a day or so is consider salt tablets...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Jealous.
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

If you are going through Reno down 395 (now 580), if you have never been before, a nice stop would be Virginia City. Just a 20 minute drive off the freeway. Fun old town. Lots of walking, with shops, beer stops, and eateries. If you are into history, then you'll enjoy the sites. Not to sound gruesome, but check out the cemetery.
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

One other tip for surviving the desert is to insulate the floor of the buggy. It is amazing how much road heat can come through the floor. Also bring towels to soak & put around your necks and spray bottles to keep wet for evaporation to stay cool. We speak from experience. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

CB - " Denim type material" ..if that is cotton or a blend from a Fabric Store ..put it in the dumpster. It will turn in to a flag in short order. Talk to a local 'trim shop'. It will save you time and grief.

Jim
Manx #2614
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
CB - " Denim type material" ..if that is cotton or a blend from a Fabric Store ..put it in the dumpster. It will turn in to a flag in short order. Talk to a local 'trim shop'. It will save you time and grief.

Jim

This material was picked because it was cheap and we wanted to test it on something cheap. At $9.00 per yd. it fit the bill.

It seems thick enough to go as a top although it is not waterproof. We don't expect to run into much rain so therefore it is mostly going to be installed as a sun shield.
It only needs to last for about 12 days of which we might need to install it for a couple days for shade otherwise we will be running without a top to enjoy the view and the sun.

I could be wrong so opinions will be appreciated.

If the pattern works well we can make one out of vinyl material to make it more permanent.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Update,

The top has been farmed out to a real upholsterer since the guy that built my rear seats quoted me a price I couldn't resist....

I picked up some new rear tires, got them mounted, polished the wheels a bit.......white letters out since if you got em you flaunt em.... Wink

Replaced the left rear axle seal that was weeping oil, installed my new Hella rear taillights and installed a few cup holders on the rollbar.

Time marches on and our travel date is two weeks away.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Still jealous! You back for the Burger Meet? Are those cup holders the rollbar clamp style?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Still jealous! You back for the Burger Meet? Are those cup holders the rollbar clamp style?

I'll be back the 12th of July and I plan on making the Burger Meet this year since I had to work late last year.

One set is a baby stroller cup holder that my Wife modified because the velcro strap were sewn on at an angle. She resowed them straight.

The others are Jeep cup holders with double velcro straps but the straps are a little long so I went around my rollbar twice........they work so good enough.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Buggy looks great and ready to go. Pm me with when you think you might pass thru Seattle and maybe it can work out that I tag along for a bit.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Mounted my little Mobius Video camera for capturing the traveling experience.

1080P with CD quality sound in a very small and light package.

I have a hose clamp on the front bar too if I want to move it close to the windshield.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Buggy looks great and ready to go. Pm me with when you think you might pass thru Seattle and maybe it can work out that I tag along for a bit.

I'll try but we are going to be on a mission to get back since I have basically 2 1/2 days to get back home.
We might go back the way we came and go through Eastern Washington to Highway 2 but possibly I-90 for the speed if time is short and weather cooperates.
I dread having to take I-5 all the way back with the traffic snarls every morning and evening.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: