Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

That happened to me the other day, I posted then the OP deleted the post and mine was out of place.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

^^
OPs screwing stuff up like a PO really PMO, IMHO.
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

mfemenel wrote:
Man, how do people find these "in the woods" busses. I'd love to get my hands on another bus and bring it back from the dead. I always get the impression around here (NC) things are pretty picked clean.

It was really random for me. I was in Petco buying cat, dog, snake, and fish food when a lady in the grooming room smiled at me and waved. Now, this ol' girl was NO spring chicken, and certainly could have been mistaken for a human Mastiff with how much hair she was covered in! Im 6'2" 210lbs and she had to have been 6'5" at least! She walked up, shook my hand and said her name was Candy. ...no profession in stripping at any time... She pointed to my arm and said "I used to have one of those! A bus, just like that one back in the 70's when I was married." We talked a bit more and it turned out that it wasnt a split window bus like my forearm tattoo, but it WAS a VW! She mentioned "you can have it if you can get to it, its not in my name or my ex husbands name." After talking through the family member's to get the land owners number, I made a deal to get it, and 5 other forgotten VW's from this guys forest. He also bought a few guns from me! (from my gun business) So I got a bunch of free rigs AND made a nice big profit.

What got it for me was a fanatic tattoo that sparked a great conversation and being polite! After the first trip to go see the bus, his new wife invited me to stay for dinner to meet her daughter! I had an 8hr drive back home to put together a truck and trailer so no hanky panky for me that night, just some freshly baked cookies for the trip home. I love country folk!
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rocky2020
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Champagne Anyone? Just found a beautiful CE-1 Reply with quote

Being more of a split bus fan,i don't pay much attention to bays,especially late bays.

I've just bought a very original 1977 CE -1, bought new in Portland Oregon,the original owner gave me the owners manual and some misc paperwork

They said that at 75000 miles had dealer rebuild engine with new heads (hydraulic valves)

It was running fine when it was rebuilt.

Now,there is 55k on engine, so the bus has about 130,000 total miles

Although there is no rust,it has its imperfections,sliding door mechanism needs love,missing middle seat.... ridiculous Acura seats in front.

I have replaced fuel lines up top and plan to do the fuel filter and lines under the bus asap.

From what I've read on the samba,these are quite rare,

Runs and drives excellent,wow! It's like a modern vehicle

This bus also has factory AC

Any info or comments appreciated,thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Champagne Anyone? Just found a beautiful CE-1 Reply with quote

joel4 wrote:
Being more of a split bus fan,i don't pay much attention to bays,especially late bays.

I've just bought a very original 1977 CE -1, bought new in Portland Oregon,the original owner gave me the owners manual and some misc paperwork

They said that at 75000 miles had dealer rebuild engine with new heads (hydraulic valves)

It was running fine when it was rebuilt.

Now,there is 55k on engine, so the bus has about 130,000 total miles

Although there is no rust,it has its imperfections,sliding door mechanism needs love,missing middle seat.... ridiculous Acura seats in front.

I have replaced fuel lines up top and plan to do the fuel filter and lines under the bus asap.

From what I've read on the samba,these are quite rare,

Runs and drives excellent,wow! It's like a modern vehicle

This bus also has factory AC

Any info or comments appreciated,thanks!

NICE. A lot more modern than a splitty. I guy needs some of each. I had a 78 CE II and they shared some features, like the bumpers. Quite rare to see an original one. Does yours have a clock in the dash? Sunroof?
WRT the slider door: Every one I have found the U-link at the rear of the slider has rusted tight in its bearings, so the rear of the door won't go in and out properly. (The main latching mechanism is at the REAR of the door so that makes this malfunction even worse.)
Fixing might be possible using penetrating oil at both ends and working it back and forth continuously if you can get it to move at all. Finish with real oil on both ends.
But more than likely you have to take off the door and sometimes use head to free up the u- link in the bearings (bushings). Sometimes those parts are ruined from continual forcing when the link is stuck.
Incidentally, reading the owner's manual thoroughly you will find directions to LUBE this link periodically. My guess 95% have never been oiled. About the only place other than the 5 zerks on the front suspension they tell you to lube.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

joel4,

Would you mind posting the last 6 of your vin, and your build date (on the silver sticker on your driver's door jamb)?

We are compiling a list of known surviving champagnes, and the 77's info is pretty short.

The Definitive Champagne Information Thread
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rocky2020
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Build date is 02/77.

I'll get back to you with last six
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
joel4,

Would you mind posting the last 6 of your vin, and your build date (on the silver sticker on your driver's door jamb)?

We are compiling a list of known surviving champagnes, and the 77's info is pretty short.

The Definitive Champagne Information Thread

Buddy of mine Curt has one in MA, I don’t know if he has “registered” with you gents yet or not!
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

So today I learned of a man selling two Westfalias about half an hour from me. One is 72, given picture, the other a 74/75 (no photo yet!).
Guy is asking $1200 for the pair, overall condition isn’t known, I’m suppose to take a look at them Friday evening. Both a missing engines and transmissions.

What are rollers worth???

I don’t have need for both, would keep the better of the two and find a good, respectable home for the other. The man got them from a local scrap yard that closed 5 years back, so I believe his money in them is minimal.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Is the 74/75 a Westy? Guessing no titles if they are from an old scrap yard.
Even if it's not and not titles $1200 is certainly a fair price.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Bala,
You are correct. No titles. Both pop top Westfalias.
I really hoping there are not eaten up with cancerous rust.
Sam

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Much of the value lies in the interior condition and complete-ness. If everything is there, and just needs cleaning to be usable, that would definitely make them worth the ask.

Also, not having titles is an issue. How is it getting new titles in the state of Arkansas?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Well I did a bonded title on a 77 Yamaha xs360, to say it was a pain in the ass to spend $100 is an understatement.
As for an abandoned vehicle title, I’m not quite sure but this would be the route I think I would take. Less stipulations and quicker ownership, if my memory serves me correctly.
I received a couple other photos of the 75 today, not very informative images, but photos nonetheless.
Here its is, kinda...

The 72 has a bad front floor pan, the 75 front pan is good, dog legs are shotty or so the guy says. Again he says the 75 is nicer of the two. IDK, possibly a $1000 for a pair of Westfalia rollers, doesn’t sound too bad. Now where I’d keep them, a completely different story.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

I'd get the vin#'s to verify they are not stolen. There's several sites you can check for this.

For $1k for both? Oh hell ya, you need to grab them. If they're too rotted to make it worth it to fix them, there's thousands in parts on both of them if you parted them out.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Going to look them over tomorrow evening. The lady is furious.
I'm praying one day, and one day soon, she'll catch the bug.
I'm thinking about distracting her with a puppy.
Sam

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
The lady is furious.

HAHAHA!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I'd get the vin#'s to verify they are not stolen. There's several sites you can check for this.

For $1k for both? Oh hell ya, you need to grab them. If they're too rotted to make it worth it to fix them, there's thousands in parts on both of them if you parted them out.

Hell yeah, make a hole! Find a place. Get it, clean it and sell it off to someone who has half the drive you do on yours - and it may live. Wink Besides you may find a spare tire pump in it Twisted Evil

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Oh, nice. Those are, arousing?! Laughing
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3WCvULMRUq8
I'm eager to look them over, time will tell tomorrow. And those are definitely my type of bag, baby.
Sam

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Hell yeah, make a hole! Find a place. Get it, clean it and sell it off to someone who has half the drive you do on yours - and it may live. Wink Besides you may find a spare tire pump in it Twisted Evil

Getting one or both running/ driving would make them worth 4 times as much.
BTW, Jason, ur a tool box snob.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Going to look them over tomorrow evening. The lady is furious.
I'm praying one day, and one day soon, she'll catch the bug.
Sam

Joke of the day...

"You know why divorces are so expensive? Cause it's worth it"... Laughing

Women understand money. Let's her know about the potential ROI you may achieve and the nice gift you'll buy her with those proceeds!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 67 of 100

Jump to: