Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning Speedometer
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Cleaning Speedometer Reply with quote

I was thinking I'd posted this before, but didn't see the topic in a quick search, so maybe not...

My speedo is very dirty/dusty as is most of the Thing. There is/was a very fine dust throughout most of the car that I've been working out of it over time.

Additionally, the odometer doesn't work. I suspect a cracked gear as I've found in many threads. Lights don't work either.

Needle bounces a little at low speeds but that doesn't bother me too much. The speed readout does seem to be somewhat accurate, though.

I would like to pull it and clean/fix it up a bit.

I'm not scared at all of fixing the odometer or lights, but I am concerned about cleaning it.

I believe the dust is both on the inside of the glass and on the face itself.

I would like to hear your thoughts and ideas on how to clean the dust from the face without damaging the paint or other delecate parts inside.

I'm thinking electrical contact cleaner which is supposed to not hurt plastic bits and such, and because of this seems like it would be a little more gentle. As I type this, I think I do have a broken fuel gauge I could use to test the paint's ability to withstand this cleaner.

My main concern is that I will still probably have some residue from the cleaner when I'm done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Speedometer Reply with quote

I'd maybe start with canned air. I bet that would get you most of the way there. Then I'd start in with a q-tip slightly moistened with water.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Speedometer Reply with quote

You can take the outer ring off by bending the edges that roll around the housing lip. This can be bent back when done. The glass is plastic and can be buffed with plastic cleaner made for cycle helmets, rear conv. glass etc. The outer ring can be painted while you have it off. Color should be semi gloss black.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Speedometer Reply with quote

I've opened up a few speedos to clean in the past. The metal outer ring that holds the glass/plastic in place can be pried back little by little until it can be removed. The secret is to take your time. Do it in stages. If you try to get it off in one 'sitting' you'll get frustrated and ruin it. You'll need to do it carefully so that it can be re-installed.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Speedometer Reply with quote

just in case anyone needs this

I got new odometer gears from this place.

http://www.odometergears.com/faq.php

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Speedometer Reply with quote

http://laudeman.com/bug_speedo.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: