Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ragtop question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71BayinOkc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Ragtop question Reply with quote

I'm looking for some input from people with more experience with ragtop assembly's than me. I have a '55 with a grafted 2 fold clip in it (all 4 round corners). My top needs to be replaced and I as wondering if a round corner front, square corner rear top from a '56 would fit on my assembly since they were both 2 fold? Were there any differences in the dimensions or the way they mounted? I know my car would have had a 3 fold being a '55 but I figured a square corner rear would be closer to correct than the 4 round. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-------------------------------------------------------
1963 Beetle Rag
1955 Oval Rag (SOLD)
1963 Single Cab (SOLD)
1963 Beetle (SOLD)
1971 Bay window (SOLD)
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop question Reply with quote

Nope..

A cover for a two fold with square rear corners, early '56, will not fit an all four round corner, '57 & later, roof... And using a 3 fold is out of the question, 4 square corners, 8 inches longer and pocket slits for the ribs would all be in the wrong place down the sides and so on...

Only a '57 & up 2 fold replacement cover with all 4 corners will fit...

And yeah you could find an early rear square tensioner but the work to fit it wouldn't be worth the effort... First, you'd have to fill & grind the original 9 holes in your roof and then drill 11 new holes, not to mention placing them correctly and then welding in new captive nuts to the underside as well... so essentially an entire new paint job would ensue... Laughing
71BayinOkc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop question Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Onebadbug. I'm actually pulling glass and getting it ready for paint this weekend. Planning on replacing the top as well that's why I was asking. Looks like I'll be purchasing a 4 round corner top.

Thanks again.

1963 Beetle Rag
1955 Oval Rag (SOLD)
1963 Single Cab (SOLD)
1963 Beetle (SOLD)
1971 Bay window (SOLD)
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop question Reply with quote

Please post your VIN. Just because you have a '55, doesn't necessarily make it a 'true' '55 model. If it was built Aug 1955 - Dec '55, it's actually a '56 model

If you feel uncomfortable posting VIN, how about some detailed shots of the sunroof opening, especially the area where the rear tack strip mounts
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
71BayinOkc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop question Reply with quote

Quote:
Please post your VIN. Just because you have a '55, doesn't necessarily make it a 'true' '55 model. If it was built Aug 1955 - Dec '55, it's actually a '56 model

It's a May '55, I have the Birth Certificate

1963 Beetle Rag
1955 Oval Rag (SOLD)
1963 Single Cab (SOLD)
1963 Beetle (SOLD)
1971 Bay window (SOLD)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: