Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it ok to test drive/tow Manx without engine cage on?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oregonguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Is it ok to test drive/tow Manx without engine cage on? Reply with quote

My skid plate goes all the way to the front of the car, and the section where you're supposed to be able to unbolt the plate under the tranny is welded on. I'm taking the entire cage off, so I can replace the tranny ground strap, and I'm going to clean off years of oil and dirt (it's pretty nasty). I have something going on with one of my valve adjustments, I'll post a pic of that too, but I have to tow it to a shop today maybe. Also, any special care I need to take when removing the cage, besides not stripping/bending anything? My cage is attached to my rear suspension.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The first pic is where the cage is attached. The 2nd is my valve adjustment. I can't seem to get feeler gauges all the way threw it, it's like it's crooked, and all the other valves aren't.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Is it ok to test drive/tow Manx without engine cage on? Reply with quote

Where do those 2 cables that are bolted to the frame just ahead of your shock mount go to? They look like grounds to me.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok to test drive/tow Manx without engine cage on? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Where do those 2 cables that are bolted to the frame just ahead of your shock mount go to? They look like grounds to me.

Good catch.... I agree...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok to test drive/tow Manx without engine cage on? Reply with quote

Buggy engine cages don't usually provide any suport to the drivetrain/suspension components. Like on your buggy, sometime they support a skid plate. As long as the shock and rear transmission mount bolts are properly reinstalled, there shouldn't be any problem towing or driving it(as long as the valve issue is fixed first)

If the engine cage is attached underneath by the large bolts in the end of the frame horns, once they are removed, to get the bolts to line back up with the holes, you'll probably need a floor jack to support the weight of the engine and trans.
Oregonguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok to test drive/tow Manx without engine cage on? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Dale

They are grounds from battery and starter. Why does that matter?
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok to test drive/tow Manx without engine cage on? Reply with quote

There is definitely something wrong with that rocker in your 2nd pic. And yes, it's fine to drive or tow it w/o the cage. Your welcome!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok to test drive/tow Manx without engine cage on? Reply with quote

Oregonguy wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Dale

Well, if one of them goes to the battery and the other goes to the starter, your starter is grounded ... don't need an engine ground strap.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Oregonguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok to test drive/tow Manx without engine cage on? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Oregonguy wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Dale

Well, if one of them goes to the battery and the other goes to the starter, your starter is grounded ... don't need an engine ground strap.

Gotcha, very nice to know, I took it off anyways to clean the undercarriage anyways, haven't done it yet, but is it ok to pressure wash under the car on the Tranny and bottom of engine? It's got about half an inch of grime and sand all over the entire undercarriage and I have an oil leak and not sure from where.....
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is it ok to test drive/tow Manx without engine cage on? Reply with quote

Oregonguy wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
Oregonguy wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Dale

Gotcha, very nice to know, I took it off anyways to clean the undercarriage anyways, haven't done it yet, but is it ok to pressure wash under the car on the Tranny and bottom of engine? It's got about half an inch of grime and sand all over the entire undercarriage and I have an oil leak and not sure from where.....

Pressure wash is nasty job, but will not harm buggy any...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: