Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for Dads car.
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenb356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Looking for Dads car. Reply with quote

Evening Gents. My name is Mike and as the title states I'm looking for my Dads old 356. I will post up some identifying info when I get home from work. Hopefully maybe someone here will have an idea of where to begin the search or even have the car.

If I remember the history correctly he was stationed in Germany after Vietnam in the late 60s. He brought the car back with him and had it for a couple years after I was born till he sold it around 1974. He sold it because it needed some work and he was raising a young family and didnt have the space or funds to treat it as needed.

I know for years he was interested in finding the car but I dont know if he ever did. Sometime around 1990 we thought we found it at a car show in PA but werent able to get in touch with the owner. So here it is 2016, and my Dad has been gone for almost two years. I was going through some of his things a few months ago and found a copy of the registration tucked away in an old insurance envelope.

Im hoping with a little luck and a prayer that maybe I can find the car. If nothing else just to see where it ended up, maybe get to see it in person or if the gods are smiling on me maybe get a chance to buy back a part of our family history.
scat53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dads car. Reply with quote

See if you can get model year/ chassis number and I'm sure the guys on here or at the Porsche Registry can help

Good luck
Glenb356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dads car. Reply with quote

Hey Scat thanks for the reply. I meant to post last night but got in late and went to bed. The car is a 1962 model, convertible. The serial number is 155520. I believe he brought the car back to the states from Germany but I could be wrong on that. I saw the registry but was hesitant to spend $45 if I'm not going to get anywhere. For all I know the car has been recycled into soup cans. I plan on going that route if necessary but thought i would try this first.
captcory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dads car. Reply with quote

I typed your vin into the 356registry site and this is what I got.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tom coughlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dads car. Reply with quote

Glen: If you are serious about wanting to replace his car let me suggest that you search for a similar Cabriolet in the color and condition you want and buy it. If you have checked prices lately I guess you know that you have to plan on spending over $150,000. Finding a good one at the right price is hard enough, never mind the exact chassis number. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenb356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dads car. Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.
For the record Im Mike, Glen was my Dad. More than anything Id just like to find out what happened to it maybe get a picture of it to put on the wall. Id love to be able to buy it back but thats not my main goal really I dont know if I want to spend $100k+ on a car. Plus maybe the owner would like to know how it got here.
Its one of the few things i remember about being a little kid. I was 2 or 3 when he sold it but I remember climbing in the car and standing behind the wheel making car noises. Kinda silly I know but I think every car guy can remember doing it. If anybody knew of the car or the current owner my email address is my user name at gmail feel free to give it to them. Also if someone does have info I can unequivocally ID who I am prior so they dont have to worry about a scam or anything.

Captncory, does the 356 registry have a listing of who owns what cars? I know its a long shot and would probably only include those that register but its better than nothing.
tom coughlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dads car. Reply with quote

The database above is what they have and since that vin is not in the database, they don't have "eyes" on it.
It is possible that a member owns the car and would appreciate contacting you. I will post a message for you. Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenb356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dads car. Reply with quote

Thanks Tom very much appreciated!
Glenb356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dads car. Reply with quote

Tom thanks for the email. I sent a reply with my phone number but it looks like it may have gotten bounced. Could you let me know if you recieved it?[/b]
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dads car. Reply with quote

captcory wrote:
I typed your vin into the 356registry site and this is what I got.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but if anyone with access to that registry information would look and see if my old 356 is listed I would appreciate it. I often wonder what happened to the old girl.

1960 T5 B 109750
tallman206
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dads car. Reply with quote

Date of Report: October 1st, 1997

VIN: 109750
Color: silver/black/carpet
Owner: RSL MOTORSPORTS, OH, 514/478-3003
Source: Oct 97, driver, for sale (EXCELLENCE)
Condition: driver
1973 VW Type 181 with 616/33-6 powerplant
1962 356B-T6 Cabriolet Rustbucket
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dads car. Reply with quote

tallman206 wrote:
Date of Report: October 1st, 1997

VIN: 109750
Color: silver/black/carpet
Owner: RSL MOTORSPORTS, OH, 514/478-3003
Source: Oct 97, driver, for sale (EXCELLENCE)
Condition: driver

Thanks.

That would be about 4 years after I sold it, but that's almost 20 years ago at this point. Wonder where it is now . . . .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: