Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
OK guys.. heres my know problem.. If you own a bus.. it seems like it changes ever time you improve on one thing.. something else pops up.. I installed a 3:44 R&P tranny in my RGB bus andit goes way to fast for Bias ply tires.. 70-75 MPH with firestone 670-15 bias ply tires is a scary ride.. Florida roads are crowned really bad for rain run off and the bus pulls from side to side every time there is an imperfection in the road.. and at 75MPH its a white knuckle ride!! i want to relax and cruise my bus with out worries of flipping over.. Haha.. Yes i know BP ties drive like that.. It's nothing new..

who has a great looking tire, close to stock that looks like Bias tires but is Radial? Pictures would be very helpful!! Very Happy

Coker does have their bias ply look radials but they only have them in 670-15 so they are taller than stock and pricey ($223):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture of these on there bus? How do they feel driving?
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

I managed to chance across a front sway bar but am unsure if it's for bay or for split.

And I can't drive over to collect nor can I take it out without paying.

Does anyone have one out that can take some measurements for me?
I measured, from tip to tip its 112.5cm.
Thanks in advance.
21-window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Does anyone have a picture of these on there bus? How do they feel driving?

Feel fine

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

lightice wrote:
I managed to chance across a front sway bar but am unsure if it's for bay or for split.

And I can't drive over to collect nor can I take it out without paying.

Does anyone have one out that can take some measurements for me?
I measured, from tip to tip its 112.5cm.
Thanks in advance.

I measured the one I have here and it measures 111.75cm

I think Bay window has the holes in the ends and Split do not?

Bay with hole

Split has C-clamp over flattened end (no hole)

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Thanks EB, o man, means its a bay unit.
Can it be ground down and used on a split? Because I've been trying to find one locally for years.

I thought about ordering the empi 9606 but shipping cost more than the item.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

I posted this in the "Official Word on RGB's" thread too, hoping to get a consensus:

I want to continue using my stock small nut RGB's on my '62 double cab.

Issue: Removed trans for rebuild, and it's a Sep '64 trans, which Aug '64 Type I owner's manual tells me it should have a 4.375 ratio; with the same 1st, 2nd, and reverse gearing (3.80, 2.06, and 3.88, resp.) as stock '62, but 0.89-4th and 1.32-3rd vs the stock 0.82-4th and 1.22-3rd.

Current Engine: a recently rebuilt 1835cc dual carb
Current Tire: 205/65/15 - approx. 25.5"Ø

Questions: (1) Which transmission gearing setup do you recommend to function well with small nut RGBs, current motor & tires? I will eventually revert back to a stock 40hp or Big Bore 40 - years from now - as well as go with larger diameter tires closer to stock height.
(2) What trans can work for my current setup but also give me a little more oomph down the road, when/if I go to the 40hp?
(3) Should I look for a stock transmission correctly geared for my '62?

From what I have read a 4.12 is better than 4.375 when using small-nut RGBs, but the .089-4th might be good to keep...thoughts? Is a 4.375 w/ 0.89-4th a bad setup? - seen in other thread...

Again, I want to keep my small nut RGBs. I like stock height, the RGB whine, etc...I don't need/want to fly at 70mph on the highway, and I may from time to time carry weight and go up some nice hills in NorCal or heading to the coast. Any help is appreciated! Most forums I have found deal with Big Nut RGBs and hardly cover small nuts... Thanks in advance. Cheers.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, I'm longwinded...

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

4-month gratuitous bump for 62DoKaGuy.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
I posted this in the "Official Word on RGB's" thread too, hoping to get a consensus:

Problem is you do not state what RPM and MPH for cruising you are shooting for.

Personally for us while we both love the 40 HP and big bore version engines, for a long distance traveling VW they just do not work well and with stock gearing even worse.

You should do a search on "Freeway Flier" and do some reading about it, and different opinions on gearing.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

Issue: Removed trans for rebuild, and it's a Sep '64 trans, which Aug '64 Type I owner's manual tells me it should have a 4.375 ratio; with the same 1st, 2nd, and reverse gearing (3.80, 2.06, and 3.88, resp.) as stock '62, but 0.89-4th and 1.32-3rd vs the stock 0.82-4th and 1.22-3rd.

Questions: (1) Which transmission gearing setup do you recommend to function well with small nut RGBs, current motor & tires? I will eventually revert back to a stock 40hp or Big Bore 40 - years from now - as well as go with larger diameter tires closer to stock height.
(2) What trans can work for my current setup but also give me a little more oomph down the road, when/if I go to the 40hp?

From what I have read a 4.12 is better than 4.375 when using small-nut RGBs, but the .089-4th might be good to keep...thoughts? Is a 4.375 w/ 0.89-4th a bad setup? - seen in other thread...

Again, I want to keep my small nut RGBs. I like stock height, the RGB whine, etc...I don't need/want to fly at 70mph on the highway, and I may from time to time carry weight and go up some nice hills in NorCal or heading to the coast. Any help is appreciated! Most forums I have found deal with Big Nut RGBs and hardly cover small nuts... Thanks in advance. Cheers.

I drive a stock 61 bus with a stock transmission and a strong 40hp 1200cc engine. It cruises at 62mph all day long. It will do 67mph on the flats with no wind. I use a GPS for my speeds.

I like to thing of things simply as a + or - from stock. + is more power/speed and - is less power/speed. Speed is limited by the gearing and power is available relative to the gearing. The more +s from power only mean more acceleration until you put it behind more gearing. Pretty basic and straight forward.

power side:
40hp to bigbore 40 is +1
40hp to 1500/1600 is +2
40hp to 1776 is +3
40hp to 2000 is +4
smaller tires are +1

speed side:
4.375 to 4.12 is +1
4.375 to 3.88 is +2
4.375 to 3.44 is +3
1.4:1 to 1.26:1 is +1
.82 to .89 is -1
bigger tires are +1

you always want to have equal or greater power than stock. I.E. make sure your power pluses are greater than or equal to your gearing pluses.

To answer your questions, going with a 40hp engine, you are limited to stock gearing (4.375 X .82 X 1.4). If you go up one step to a bigbore 40hp then you can go one step with gearing or tires. Stepping up to 6.70s or 215/75s or slipping in a set of little-bignut gears are the easiest way to go. If you go with a stock transmission, you can easily go two steps up with the little-bignuts and tires and keep your current engine which will still be overpowered. Then when you decide to put the 40hp in, just swap the tires, and put the stock gears in the boxes and you are good to go without having to unbolt your reduction boxes.

you can do a lot of math with gear ratios and such. Just make sure your power to gearing ratio is equal or greater than stock and you will be fine. Excess power is over-rated. It mainly translates to more acceleration which doesn't do much for you once you are at speed. You will have to go into third gear on hills. Each + in the power department is just 100 more yards up the hill before you shift into third.

if you are unfamiliar with the little-big gears, they are what was used in 1963 1500cc buses. They have the same ratio as bignut gears, but they fit into small nut boxes. You need to put a spacer under the axle nut to make it work.

how is that for a longwinded response?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
4-month gratuitous bump for 62DoKaGuy.

Haha, thanks! I forgot about this post; it has been that long.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

Problem is you do not state what RPM and MPH for cruising you are shooting for.

Personally for us while we both love the 40 HP and big bore version engines, for a long distance traveling VW they just do not work well and with stock gearing even worse.

You should do a search on "Freeway Flier" and do some reading about it, and different opinions on gearing.

I researched over the course of several weeks before posting. Most seem to only discuss big-nut RGBs and did little but create more questions. I already decided, received and have been driving around with complete stock gearing, correct for '62 small nut transaxle. Thanks, everyone, just the same. Cheers.

EDIT: Daddy likey, plus it makes the eventual switch back to 40hp or maybe big bore 40 an easier one, without having to also worry about the trans at that time.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

I drive a stock 61 bus with a stock transmission and a strong 40hp 1200cc engine. It cruises at 62mph all day long. It will do 67mph on the flats with no wind. I use a GPS for my speeds.

I like to thing of things simply as a + or - from stock. + is more power/speed and - is less power/speed. Speed is limited by the gearing and power is available relative to the gearing. The more +s from power only mean more acceleration until you put it behind more gearing. Pretty basic and straight forward.

power side:
40hp to bigbore 40 is +1
40hp to 1500/1600 is +2
40hp to 1776 is +3
40hp to 2000 is +4
smaller tires are +1

speed side:
4.375 to 4.12 is +1
4.375 to 3.88 is +2
4.375 to 3.44 is +3
.82 to .89 is -1
bigger tires are +1

you always want to have equal or greater power than stock. I.E. make sure your power pluses are greater than or equal to your gearing pluses.

To answer your questions, going with a 40hp engine, you are limited to stock gearing (4.375 X .82 X 1.4). If you go up one step to a bigbore 40hp then you can go one step with gearing or tires. Stepping up to 6.70s or 215/75s or slipping in a set of little-bignut gears are the easiest way to go. If you go with a stock transmission, you can easily go two steps up with the little-bignuts and tires and keep your current engine which will still be overpowered. Then when you decide to put the 40hp in, just swap the tires, and put the stock gears in the boxes and you are good to go without having to unbolt your reduction boxes.

you can do a lot of math with gear ratios and such. Just make sure your power to gearing ratio is equal or greater than stock and you will be fine. Excess power is over-rated. It mainly translates to more acceleration which doesn't do much for you once you are at speed. You will have to go into third gear on hills. Each + in the power department is just 100 more yards up the hill before you shift into third.

if you are unfamiliar with the little-big gears, they are what was used in 1963 1500cc buses. They have the same ratio as bignut gears, but they fit into small nut boxes. You need to put a spacer under the axle nut to make it work.

Haha, when a man wants a thorough answer, he looks to Lind apparently! Thanks for the longwindedness, a little late but appreciated. Oddly, I do have '63 only one-ton small nut transaxle sitting around for whatever reason...but, that would take me another step away from stock. Can't do it. Thanks again, Lind, cheers.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Lind wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

power side:
40hp to bigbore 40 is +1
40hp to 1500/1600 is +2
40hp to 1776 is +3
40hp to 2000 is +4
smaller tires are +1

speed side:
4.375 to 4.12 is +1
4.375 to 3.88 is +2
4.375 to 3.44 is +3
.82 to .89 is -1
bigger tires are +1

Haha, when a man wants a thorough answer, he looks to Lind apparently! Thanks for the longwindedness, a little late but appreciated. Oddly, I do have '63 only one-ton small nut transaxle sitting around for whatever reason...but, that would take me another step away from stock. Can't do it. Thanks again, Lind, cheers.

^^^ Excellent synopsis, Lind. This is the info I try, and possibly fail, to convey to folks that seem to want big engines and/or "freeway Flyer" trannies. All parts need to work together, including tire diameter, to achieve a positive end result.
twurts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

So stock bus / RGB gurus...

Here at the beginning of 2017, what is the current best option for disc brakes for RGBs in the back and stock front beam?

And what is the impact to which wheels/tires to run?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Not sure that disc brakes for RBG rear are available yet. I know it was being designed and tested, but I don't think I have seen them commercially available yet.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

twurts wrote:
So stock bus gurus... what is the best option for disc brakes...
Title of this thread doesn't suit your inquiry (off topic).
There's three pages of disc brake topics... click me
twurts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Apologies, I was asking specifically about RGB disc kits and current availability which seemed like it was a "stock height question" and fit this thread.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

fair enough...
cdennisg nailed it... well, maybe there's one place... but apparently you might be careful giving your money to them (read buyer/seller feedback).

Some things to check out/follow:
RBG rear disc brakes - anyone bought the Vintage V-Dubs kit

Who is interested in Rear Disc brakes? (RGB's)

Disc Brakes & RGBs - Anyone done it?
Disc Brakes for Gear Reduction?

Last edited by easy e on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:46 pm; edited 5 times in total
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1731114

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: