Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulling the engine...need help
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Pulling the engine...need help Reply with quote

Ok, I e been reading and there is a lot of conflicting info on this.
What's the best way to pull the engine?
Also, someone here referenced an apron mod (Cecil mod maybe)?
But I can't find it...any help/advice is appreciated
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling the engine...need help Reply with quote

Page 2 of G.I. Joe's thread has the rear apron mod:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=20

I don't know if there is a "best' way to pull the engine, its pretty easy and if you watched the show Unique Rides there are clearly people who can make it into a cluster fu#k. Shocked

I would start by asking if you have the John Muir book? If not it is a must have to answer most if not all of your ACVW questions.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are the basic steps I follow:
1. Disconnect battery
2. Jack the rear of the car up and place on jack stands. Don't jack the car up with the engine as your jack point. The easiest and safest way I found is to place a 2x4 between the frame horns near the transmission and jack the car up in the center. Then place your jack stands just inside the factory rear jack points. If you want to be extra safe, block your front wheels to prevent the car from rolling.
3. Next I disconnect the throttle cable to the carb (don't loose the little barrel nut) and pull the cable through the tube in the fan shroud from the back side of the engine.
4. Now disconnect the wiring to the generator/alternator, coil and oil pressure sensor.
5. Disconnect your fuel line that heads forward toward the tank at the fuel pump. I usually have a #2 pencil handy to shove in the fuel line to prevent any leaking fuel.
6. A stock air cleaner will need to be removed if it attaches to the body.
7. Now using a small piece of wood, place your floor jack under the oil drain or center of the engine with the wood on the jack and raise the jack until the wood touches the engine. Don't jack the engine up!
8. Four nuts and bolts hold the engine in. I usually start on the bottom two nuts that are easy. The top two tend to be challenging with the fan shroud and seals in the way. Remove all four.
9. Time to drop the engine. You may need to slightly raise the engine with your jack and piece of wood to slide or gently rock the engine away from the transmission. Once it clears the bellhousing, your can slowly lower your jack and the engine will follow. Cool

Here are the unknowns on your end. How high do you need to jack the car up for the engine to clear the rear apron once you have it out and lowered on your jack? The apron modification really comes in handy here because you don't need to even jack the car up. Maybe take a measurement from the top of the fan shroud to the bottom of the engine and add in the height of your jack at the lowest level plus your piece of wood before you set your jack stands. Wink

Again, I don't profess to know the "best" way, but this is how I usually pull a VW engine. Smile
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling the engine...need help Reply with quote

2 thumbs up! Cool
I learned most my basics from the John Muir book!!!
They should rename it the Air-Cooled VW Bible; a MUST have for any VW nut.
| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling the engine...need help Reply with quote

Thanks!
I've pulled a few engines, but all in busses, so way more simple.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling the engine...need help Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
Thanks!
I've pulled a few engines, but all in busses, so way more simple.

If you do the rear apron mod, the only thing that is a little more challenging are the upper engine bolts. Everything else should be the same from a Bus to a Thing to a Bug to a Ghia. They all share the same basic oil dripping heart. Cool
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling the engine...need help Reply with quote

First thing I bought after the Thing, was John Muir's book. It's a classic for sure.
Also have the Pelican Parts guy Wayne Dempsey's book on Porsche projects, it's a great one too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling the engine...need help Reply with quote

These are fun to watch:

Link

Link

Link

Link

He's working on a Beetle, but the basics are the same.
Have fun, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling the engine...need help Reply with quote

Those are real good video's. Don't let it intimidate you. It really is 4 bolts and it's out. A Thing seems to have more room to "wiggle" the engine around than a Beetle. Good luck. Take some pictures of how things are hooked up, etc. for reference before you start. Also I label everything.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling the engine...need help Reply with quote

Things have a roomy engine compartment when compared to a Beetle, but not where it does any good for engine removal.
In fact, there's very little room (less than in a Beetle) for moving the engine back far enough to clear the clutch. That's why people fabricate a removable rear apron.
But it can be done without that modification, just takes a little patience.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling the engine...need help Reply with quote

You guys all make this sound so simple Shocked

I keep hearing that you can pull the engine in 15 minutes. The last time I did this it took me about two hours. Granted, it was only the third time I had done it, so I am sure I am getting better.

A couple of my observations for the original poster:
1. Remove the pulley on the generator / alternator for a bit better clearance.
2. If you have one, remove the EGR valve between the carburetor and the breast tin.
3. Remove the breast tin.

Doing these three things seems to make it a lot simpler.

I have always found that sliding the engine back off the clutch seems to be the hardest part. Once it is slid to the back of the car and off the clutch, tilting the engine up seems to help with the clearance.

Just my $.02 worth...

jay
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling the engine...need help Reply with quote

I've been able to pull and replace the engine in under 30 minutes. But, that was after doing it two or three times, and involves the use of a car lift and a wooden cradle I made for the purpose.

The first time I did it, I used jacks (as described in the Muir book) and a lot of cursing. It took me about 2 hours to get it out, and 30 minutes to get it back in.

Remove the generator pulley and the engine seal around the bottom tin before you start removing the 4 bolts that hold the engine to the transaxle. After you disconnect the electrical and fuel connections, loosen and remove the 4 bolts. You'll be working from underneath to get at all 4. There is no real way to do it around the shroud from inside the engine compartment. Once you have the 4 bolts out, pull the engine forward. Jack up the transaxle slightly and pull the engine clear of the shaft. Lower the transaxle. Tip the engine backwards and drop it out the bottom. No need to cut the apron. There is enough clearance with the generator pulley removed. Once the engine is on the ground, jack up the body so you can slide it out.

Let us know how you make out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: