Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Thing - oil pressure sensor
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuebel-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

My oil pressure light below the speedometer isn't working for a couple of days for no obvious reason, although i've been working on a bunch of things including the distributor and other stuff during the same period. I've tried to find the oil pressure sensor which according to pictures i've seen should be below the distributor or at least somewhere around there but my engine doesn't match any of the pictures. I've got no such thing around that area. At the same time, l've discovered an unconnected blue- white wire which is coming to the engine compartment but there is no place to connect this to. Not sure whether this wire was ever connected since i've bought the car or when the oil pressure light was working. I grounded this wire and the oil pressure light came on but always stayed on. So not really working.

Does anyone else have an oil pressure sensor which seems to be located somewhere else?
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

Pictures needed!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Banker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

Here is a picture from the gallery. Your sender may look different.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

07 Charger Sublime
03 Goldwing
74 Thing
Kuebel-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

I agree that things should look like the picture you sent but on mine, there's nothing there. Have a look at the pics

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

Do you have a Type 3 engine case?
The distributor clamp looks a little Type 3-ish.
Is your oil dipstick tube pressed into the case, or is it an adapter bolted to the back of the case?

If your engine was originally installed in a Type 3, look to the oil cooler; that's where the oil pressure sender was mounted.

Photo from the gallery:

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kuebel-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

I always assumed that it was a type 1 case. The dipstick is in the back of the case which then has a tube underneath that leads to the case. Is that type 3?
Kuebel-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

In fact, just put in 2.5 liters of oil and dipstick is dry on flat ground!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

Here's a photo of an aftermarket Type 3 dipstick adapter:

If your engine has one of these, look for the oil pressure sender on the oil cooler.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kuebel-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

Here's how the dipstick looks like from above and under the engine.

I guess i now have 2 problems:
1. The oil light somehow doesn't work and if you guys are right, then i'll have to look for the sender around the oil cooler
2. Having just changed the oil and put in 2.5 liters exactly, i have a dipstick that is fully dry. Should i add more oil or just assume that there's something wrong with the dipstick and go blind. Note that the dipstick was not dry fore my oil change but i' m not sure how much pil the previous owner had put in.

citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

that is a type III case and that has got to be the weirdest dip stick I have ever seen you need to get the adapter that mondshine showed you and drill the case where you see the raised area under the dist for a 1/8 pipe thread
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kuebel-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

Any better pictures to see exactly where i need to drill? I'm new to this and don't want to just put a hole in on the wrong place!

Does the position and therefore the reading of this weird dipstick seem right to you? In case i chicken out of drilling this new hole, i want to see if i can trust this weird dipstick. As said, before my oil change, the dipstick was showing oil level near the top bar!
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

I have seen that dip stick before on type III's and it had a rubber sleeve that connected to a tube on the back of the of the trunk deck. The dip stick was rather long and kinda like on the auto transmission. You need to put in the exact amount of oil that the manual says and then mark the dip stick and go from there or get the on that is shown above. Go here and you can see the top part of the type III dip stick also there is the dip stick you need to put the correct one on about a 3rd of the way down.

GB
Kuebel-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

Thanks. The dipstick i got is not that long. It's as long as the first tube that you can see on my picture. Maybe aroung 5 inches or so. Anyhow the manual says 2.5 liters and i've down 2.5 liters. I can't really mark the dipstick because the oil level doesn't even reach the dipstick now! Maybe i gotta buy a longer one but am not sure that will help because as you can see from the picture, the second tube is somewhat perpendicular to the first one down which the dipstick goes now!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

Kubel-man...
None of this is that terrible, and it should be relatively easy to make it serviceable.

If you buy one of those "conversion" dipstick adapters, you should be able to install it with only minor modification to the engine tin.

What you don't want are big holes in the tin that allow hot air to be drawn into the engine compartment (like you have now).

The oil pressure sender, which I suspect is threaded into your oil cooler, only has one wire connected to it. In stock form, the wire is red/green. This wire is connected to ground through the oil pressure sender when oil pressure is below ~5 PSI.
Look for a wire coming from the front of the fan housing where the oil cooler is installed. If you are reluctant to drill and tap as citroen suggested, you can connect the sender as it is until the next time the engine is apart.

Good luck, Mondshine
Kuebel-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Thing - oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks a lot. Sounds like a plan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: