Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rivets for 74 rear air scoops
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Rivets for 74 rear air scoops Reply with quote

I know there has to be a different name than air scoops but I think you get the picture. I need to know what rivets should be in these. I think there are 2 different sizes. Where can I get them? I am heading to see the progress now on the car and they ask about the rivets. Hope I see some progress.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tallman206
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rivets for 74 rear air scoops Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=543752&highlight=rivet
1973 VW Type 181 with 616/33-6 powerplant
1962 356B-T6 Cabriolet Rustbucket
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rivets for 74 rear air scoops Reply with quote

The front 2 are 1/8 and the others are 3/16
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rivets for 74 rear air scoops Reply with quote

Thanks
Are the heads of the rivets normally painted or left unpainted?
Ron in the link provided someone mentioned you screwing them on instead of riveting them on. Can you give details on that? If they are screwed on isn't it easy to remove and clean in there? Years ago we had a tool that would crimp inserts in sheet metal. I don't remember what the name of that tool was but it worked great back in the day. Funny how much you forget in 20 years. Use it or loses it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rivets for 74 rear air scoops Reply with quote

I guess Nutsert or rivet nut is what they are called. What to you think about those?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rivets for 74 rear air scoops Reply with quote

We have used nutserts on all except the original cars we have restored. Factory did not paint the heads on the rivets. Hope to see you in Tipp City in July.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rivets for 74 rear air scoops Reply with quote

What size to you use and do you use the same size in all of the holes or 2 different sizes? Thanks for the info and if all goes well we will be in Tipp again this year Smile
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rivets for 74 rear air scoops Reply with quote

I have used a few sizes. Most have been 5mm with stainless allen head bolts. Button head looks great also. My tan car has 10-32 bolts . McMaster-Carr is were I buy from. We don't know why VW used smaller front size. I don't when installing bolts.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rivets for 74 rear air scoops Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551714&highlight=allen

There are some photos in this link
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rivets for 74 rear air scoops Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
The front 2 are 1/8 and the others are 3/16

What is the clamping dimension of the rivets (material thickness), do you use alum/alum or alum/steel (flange/mandrel), and finally do you use open end or closed end rivets when replacing the originals?

Thanks!
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rivets for 74 rear air scoops Reply with quote

Get them for 1/4 grip range and I use alum/steel. With the steel mandrel you have more power to pull before the pop. Open end. Will we see you in Tipp City?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: