Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Hi guys, just thought I'd share what I've learned about importing a VW Brazil-built bus.

I asked on the Split Bus forum if anyone had actually done this. Since then I did find a handful of guys that have successfully imported to the US and I have filled in all the blanks on the process, so this should apply here as well.

First, I do plan to give it a go, but I’m super fortunate that with my job I fly to various cities in Brazil several times a year, and while there my hotel, rental car, and food expenses are paid by the company, and I have a week or more with plenty of time to play with VWs. If it weren’t for that unique situation I wouldn’t import one myself because the math doesn’t work out as I’ll explain. Sorry if this is a long or discouraging read, it’s just everything I wish I knew before.

The Pros:

1. It’s totally doable, if the car is at least 25 years old and the paperwork is in order, you can title, register, and tag a Brazil made VW in the US. In my state, they’re exempt from emissions and inspections, and a historic tag brings the insurance costs way down. (My understanding for California residents there is a DMV problem, although I didn’t figure out the details since I don’t live there, but I haven’t found anyone that has fully titled, tagged, and is driving a bus imported through a California port. Perhaps a solution would be to buy a Brazil bus that has already been US titled in another state, then transferred to the California owner.)

2. They are great buses. Short of having actually owned one yet, I have driven and meticulously inspected many in Sao Paulo that were for sale. Advantages: Brazil never has snow and thus salt on the roads, so rust is minimalized, and most of the Kombis were (and still are) used as around-town-only school, church, or company transport – hence they’re all 9 passenger 15 window non-walk through models with minimal interiors, or delivery vans and single and double cabs used for small business. No Sambas were built because they weren’t “fun cars.” Mileage was kept further low due to the fact that Brazil in the 60s and 70s didn’t have a “great highway road trip” era because high quality roads away from the cities were still being developed. Hence no campers! And since they made Split Windows through 1975, they’re, of course, newer. Also, the guys in the US I’ve talked to that actually own them say they really are just as good as German. The few part that are not identical can be made to work. I’ll add that according to a few posts I’ve read on this site (written by people that admittedly have never had a Brazil bus), you may lose the “snob appeal” from the minority German-or-crap-elitists, but to the mass everyone else, a split window VW bus is an attention-grabbing thing of beauty and they don’t even think about where the factory that built it was located.

3. They do good work down there. I’ve visited two of the top restoration shops in Sao Paulo and they take pride in their work, quality on par with those in California. They replace metal when needed and use Bondo when appropriate, but unlike in the US, rusted out hulls are not their normal starting point. They’re also not doing show-worthy Deluxe Sambas because they never came from the factory that way. So their “like new” is a solid, true-to-stock, rust-free daily driver with minimal interiors, that are in perfect condition for customization.

The Cons:

1. You gotta go to Brazil. I’ve talked to guys that bought based on just some online photos and had problems with the export and did not receive what they expected. You have to go there, drive and inspect several buses (there are plenty) and make a smart choice, then see that car all the way to the boat - otherwise BUYER BEWARE. The export process is complicated and must be done properly by a Portugese speaker who knows what he’s doing and the vehicle paperwork must be correct before the purchase or big delays. The Brazilian seller doesn’t know how to export a car so you have to find someone who does.

2. For the average buyer, the math doesn’t work out to be a huge advantage to import yourself. Airline tickets, a Brazil VISA, hotel for at least a week, rental car, meals, actual cost of car, broker, export, shipping, import, taxes, tag and title. Let me break it down, in rounded numbers:

$1000 for cheap hotel for a week, $1000 round trip ticket from ATL to Sao Paulo (other origin or destination, insert your cost), $150 for the VISA, $500 in cheap food, $200 for rental car (good luck driving in Brazil!) all including taxes. Plus your lost revenue?

$15,000-$20,000 Range of standard or deluxe Kombi in excellent to like-new condition. Includes a broker charging 10-20 percent since you don’t speak Portuguese or know how to find the cars.

$5000-$6000 Export and container shipping. That’s to the East Coast US. I’ve heard up to $8000 to the West coast, to Europe or elsewhere I’d estimate far more.

$1000-$2000 in import fees, taxes, and a US agent to handle all that customs paperwork if you never have. Expect more buyer paid fees if the car gets marked for x-rays and inspections at the port, which one third of them do.

$2000 to title, register, tag, and insurance, including tax, in my state and county.

So, for upwards of $30,000, you have a beautiful 15 window Kombi. (That whole process, BTW takes up to two months.) Now I can see why that shop in California is importing and flipping them for $35,000, or buying good condition ones and restoring them for the same, or adding some nice touches like safari windows and custom interiors and pricing them upwards of $40,000. Still, not a giant profit margin.

I will add that importing a not-driving bus from photos only in “good” condition for say - $4000-$6000 to restore at home might be a good buy for someone that wants a project and has the know-how.

So basically, I think the Brazil buses are awesome and I want one! But if I wasn’t fortunate to be in Brazil for free, and have the time and energy to deal with all the complications, I would just buy one that was already imported and titled. You’d still have a top-quality investment classic car that costs about half that of it’s identical brother with a German VIN plate. Heck, maybe I’ll grab you one while I’m there next…

Hope that helps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Tanks for information!
Could you recommend a company in Brazil, which will arrange all paperwork with the shipping of the car to Europe?
I have a carrier, I care only for ensuring that all the necessary documents for shipment.
What you mean "...the vehicle paperwork must be correct before the purchase..." ???
Wait for news.
Greg
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Hi Greg, welcome to TheSamba.

The answer is: YOU.

You need to be your own representative in Brazil to ensure everything is correct. Read my post again. I would NEVER recommend buying a Brazil bus sight unseen. You may have found one you like, being sold by a broker (maybe posing as the owner), at a price that makes it seem like a sweet deal, but if you're not taking into account the true cost of export, import, all those taxes, plus the unexpected fees no one can warn you about, AND if you're not willing and able to go to Brazil and see the car (or many) - then you are begging for one big mistake.

The brokers advertising online try to sell buses to people who don't want to go to Brazil, those that look nice from a distance but if seen up close would be worth far less. You can tell because all the photos and videos are taken with a cell phone and don't show the flaws. Believe me, they have the ability to take HQ photos. But you wouldn't see the flaws till you imported the car and have it in your possession, only to have a bus that is worth less than you paid. They know if you came to see it you would be able to negotiate a lower price.

If you did go to Brazil, they'd show you the top quality buses that truly are worth USD$40,000+ (after import). Those are beautiful, and high quality.

So if you're looking for someone in Brazil that is going to do for you the same that they would if you were there, sorry, it doesn't exist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Hi Steve.
For sure I will go to Brazil to see the cars before I decide to buy it. I don’t want to buy a pig in a poke . Going there is main thing to do!! Other things is negotiate the price what you mentioned before.
Also I’m not looking for deal worth 40k USD. I’m looking for something to renovate but now is not the point of this what I want to know.
Ttheoretically:
Lest say, I’m in Brazil, I inspect the vehicle and negotiate the price and I’m ready to buy it. What should I focus on?? For sure sale and purchase agreement then documents of cars (here in UE we have proof of registration) what else should I ask dealer to give me? Should I go with all documents to local traffic office to unregister the car?? Should I get any local export certificate for this car ?? you wrote something about vehicle paper work. What you mean ??
Then when I get all documents I need to ship to EU, but if forwarder get all correct documents from me, shouldn’t be a problem with arrange shipping.
Cost of freight and taxes, additional fees and others should be paid by me and this is not the problem.
Question is: What kind of document should I get from dealer if I want to ship out my VW from Brazil ??
Have any idea Steve ??
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Basically, if you go to Brazil and find a bus you want to buy,and if you don't have an education in basic Portuguese as well as the Brazilian vehicle motor vehicle department and international export laws and procedures - the export company will help you with those details, for a fee.

If you are looking for a project bus, I'm sorry to tell you that that math doesn't make it worth it. By the time you add up the travel costs plus the cost of the bus plus the import, you would have spent more than a locally sold project bus costs.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but as you read in my article, unless you happen to already be in Brazil at someone else's expense, I don't see how it is cost effective. Maybe in the future when the Brazil bus value is closer to that of the German built (When the high quality Brazil buses run out, which they quickly are), it will be an advantageous venture.
AAkombis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

As there are not a good material about export a car from Brazil i decide to Wright some things down and share in order for anyone who wants to import a Brazilian Kombi been aware of the basic needs for the whole process. I,ve been a international trader for couple years working with commoditys now iam a helicopter instructor pilot but still work as a trader in parallel
any doubts will be glad to help

Here by i will try to explain on a simple way without geting too deep on the language and the tecnique part of the process to export a Vehicle from Brazil. My goal is provide all the basic information thar are required to anyone who wants to import a vehicle from Brazil.

1º. Find the vehicle
Check all the documents as;
Certificado de Registro e licenciamento de veiculo (Register)
Recibo de Compra e Venda (Receipt of purchase and sale)
Its really important to ask for the seller if he can provided one document called (laudo de pericia veicular para compra e venda ) on this document you will get all the information and the real situation of the vehicle if it has any substantial modification as if the engine has been replaced, chassis number matches also if there is any debts from banks or tax to be payed

2º. Set the deal
Set the deal with all the information necessary Like what is the seller responsibility where the car will be deliver who is responsible for the transport till the port dont forget to let him aware by the needs of a document called (Baixa para Exportação) I will explain on the 4º step what this document is

3º. Hire a Trading Company
The export process shall be done for a Trading company register to the (SISCOMEX) a Brazilian System where is register all the documents to export and import goods.
The company will be responsible to make the export process and also can be hired to provide all the logistic necessary to make the transport from the seller place till the Port and there to the final destiny. Usually this process happen on a operation called door to door.
You will recive a PROFORM INVOICE that will contains all the information such as;
Buyer - Name/ID/Social Number/ Address
Seller - Name/ID/ Social Number/ Address
Model of the vehicle/year/chassis number/ colour
Modal of transport/quotation for a customs purpose
Bank account (You gonna pay for the vehicle to the Trading Company and them will pay the seller)

4º. Pay Time
After you agree with the terms of the PROFORMA INVOICE and make the payment, The trading company must provide to the seller a document called (GUIA PARA EXPORTAÇÃO DA RECEITA FEDERAL DO BRASIL) With this document the owner of the vehicle will start a process in the (DETRAN) in order for to take out all the register of the vehicle from the Brazilian data base. This process is called ( Baixa para Exportação). This process can be done only for the owner or an agent with a power of attorney. This part is consider the most Important part cause if you don't have this done the car will continuous be register on the Brazilian data base, and you may have problem to register it on your country.

5º. The Process
Just After the vehicle has passed by the process to get out of the Brazilian data base it can be export. By this time all the others Documents required to export the vehicle needs to be done its the trading responsability to organize and to feed you with the information about the process. depends on which trading you hire they normaly provide a password where you are able to follow up your process.

6º. Embark
The Car will arrive to the port where it will be ship to, and will have all the fluids drained, Tyree's flat and battery disconnected and set inside of a container ready to be export just waiting to be load.

7º. Transit time
The transit time as the shipping cost will depend where is the final destiny is, but you will receive this information with the PROFORM INVOICE in forehand

8º. Cost for the process
For the whole process you will be charged and it will depend of many things
Where the car is / where is the final destiny/ which service you gonna use. So before set a deal make sure you have all the information and quotation for the intire process, it will avoid you have any surprise later.

Basically this is all the steps necessaries to export a car from Brazil describe on a simple way, You can not make the whole process on your own its necessary to hire a trading company for that. find the car you can do on your own but i highly recommend you to have at least an agent that can represent you in here unless you are able to speak Portuguese and has some time available to follow the process until it be done and your vehicle be inside of a contanier load on the ship then your job is done.
The help of a broker looks unnecessary sometimes but it will save you of a lot of headache and waste of money.
If still there is any doubt about the process i will be glad to answer just send me a private msg or e-mail me
Alex Silva AAKOMBIS
brazilianclassiccars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Nice post, good information on importing cars from Brazil. Yes, making business in Brazil is not easy, even for us is complicated sometimes.

We already exported many cars to Europe and USA. I´ve been to Daytona last month on a VW meeting and nobody had a Brazilian VW over there! So, here we are to help you guys on importing our cars.

Our company Brazilian Classic Cars has many contacts in Brazil that have the cars for sale, they send us their offers with photos and description of the car. We also restore T1 AAA top quality in our garages as customers request and there are some garages that has A, B and C quality restorations, it will all depends on what customers want, if the customer wants cheap models we have cheap models, if want restored models we have restored models. We are always clear and tell everything we can get from the seller or restorer and tell the buyer, no hidden surprises when it arrives. We buy and ship what customer want.

Regarding the shipping charges, here are some ideas from Paranagua Port Brazil to:
MIAMI FL - US$ 1,500.00 for 1 car and US$ 2,000.00 for 2 cars
BREMERHAVEN Germany - US$ 550.00 for 1 car and US$ 650.00 for 2 cars
We have warehouse in Miami FL and Bremerhaven Germany that can receive the cars take care of the port charges and papers and ship to your city.

Our contacts below
Brazilian Classic Cars
www.facebook.com/brazilianclassiccars
whats app +554199728218
[email protected]

Regards

Rafael Augusto Zanetti
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
pgroth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

First of all, I want to say I do not sell or buy cars to live and I'm not really into the import/export process.

However, I know a little about cars (I have a 1979 VW Brasilia) and if someone outside Brazil found a car here, specially near where I live (City: Porto Alegre State: RS) and need some help, send me a message, we can talk about it and I can help in the conversation with the owner.

Cya!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Upstream Trading
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Richard Livramento, i am a Brazilian nacional but i`ve been living in Japan for about 20 years now.

I export Japanese cars but from this year i started importing VW buses to Japan, i have 3 cars coming, one of them for restauration but the other two are mint condition, one of them even has the black number which atests the integrity and quality of classic cars in Brazil.

My partner in Brazil is my brother who has an import/export company and does all the exporting process, from checking the cars to shipping and sending final papers. We know all the process in Brazil which can be very cumbersome.

If you need help to buy a car from Brazil don`t hesitate to contact me .

e-mail [email protected] and [email protected]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Anyone know what the issue is bringing one into California? I saw on one of the classified ads where the link to the sellers website mentioned that California required using the "grey" market to get it registerred. If it's registered in a state like Florida, can it just be transferred into California? Of course one would want a 1974 or older to avoid emissions.
In2h2o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

I do this for a living. if youd like me to assist you I can.

[email protected]
AntonyMann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I have big problem,I lokking for a "good"guy in Brazil,who can help me.

I have T1 bus from Brazil,the bus already here.
I now realized,that tha bus has only COPY OF TITLE,not genuie Title.

Unfortunately,my own Trafik departmen not to accept the copy,only the genuie Title.

If you can give me any contact in Brazil,who can help me,most Welcome!
Antony
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Anthony,

I already responded your topic in another section but here goes again.

The Brasilian DMV (called DETRAN) has a process that needs to be followed for vehicles been exported OUT from Brasil.
This process requires the vehicle to be deregistered from their files, and in this process the ORIGINAL Certificate of Title needs to be handed over to the authorities (to DETRAN). They won't re issue it again if the vehicle is struck out form their registry and marked as ''exported''.

I am pasting here an official DETRAN Normative page that states the process.

You need to explain this issue to your licensing centre in Hungary, explaining the Brasilian DETRAN requires this to authorize the vehicle to be exported.

Maybe you could get help from an official translator (Portuguese Language to Hungarian in case your authorities require something more official than a google Translation).

https://www.detran.sp.gov.br/wps/wcm/connect/porta...41f9402e7e

Please post here an update of your case if you got the issue resolved.

Good Luck

Julio
callrafael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

first of all sorry for my English.
Im a Brazilian student living in Toronto-ON, Canada and i want to immigrate and live here for ever.

i have a vw beetle 69' in Brazil for a couple of years and i like it very much, mostly because I restored and customized the car for same time.

im really attach to this car due the economic and sentimental value for my and because the economic crisis in Brazil is being difficult to sell it for a good price.

so i wish to know what are the average cost to transport this car to Canada and register it.

someone have any idea?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

It should be no problem to import the car, as it is more than 15 years old.

In 2012 I paid $6500 CAN to bring my car from the UK to Canada (Ottawa) including shipping, licensing and taxes.

You cost may vary, I highly recommend using a broker, they will pay any fees on your behalf during the shipping process. If you don't pay at each step (for example as your car is inspected (ie moved in and out of a container)), your car will be held and accumulate storage fees until you pay. The will also handle all the logistics, ie bringing the car to the port in Brazil and then to the final destination in Toronto (a bonded warehouse).

A broker will facilitate all the steps and insure that car doesn't sit on a dock accumulating fees (you may be unaware, if you try to do the import yourself).

Call around for some quotes.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
callrafael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

im afraid of the cost with insurance and taxes.
im brazil is impossile to insure a car like this.

maintain it is became each day more expensive, maybe in sao paulo is possible, but in the remote region that a live most mechanic are an-alphabets, alcoholics or drug addicts so is real challenge to find a good one.

Do you guys think is possible to someone starting lie here to maintain a car like this or is better to sell it?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

callrafael wrote:
im afraid of the cost with insurance and taxes.
im brazil is impossile to insure a car like this.

maintain it is became each day more expensive, maybe in sao paulo is possible, but in the remote region that a live most mechanic are an-alphabets, alcoholics or drug addicts so is real challenge to find a good one.

Do you guys think is possible to someone starting lie here to maintain a car like this or is better to sell it?

Insuring and maintaining a '69 Beetle in Canada shouldn't be very expensive. Parts are easy to come by and there are mechanics and shops that work on the old Beetles. Join one of the local VW clubs and talk to some of the members. Also you should head down to Jitterbug (VW show) in Niagara Falls next month, maybe talk to some people there.

The cost for shipping the car would be your biggest, but one time expense.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Do like the Canadians and many others do.... learn to fix your own classic car.

You will need a hobby to keep you entertained at home or the garage while it is snowing outside.
luisfarina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

If anyone needs help with Portuguese-English translations, I can help for free! I can also contact sellers and stuff like that. I'm not offering any kind of service though. And I cannot help with the actual sell and importation of the car.

Proud owner of a Brazilian '89 bay window.
callrafael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

well I have considerable know how of restoration and transportation of vehicles and parts within Brazil. I wonder how it could possibly turn this into a commercial application since we have many rare or even NEVER SEEN cars in North America, like gurgel, Opala, Pumas, Brasilias, etc.

right know Im studying in Toronto-on, but I have family and friends in most parts of Brazil contacts with Brazil vintage cars clubs and most import, im fluent in both portuguese and english.

If I join a business like this, where do you suggest I start? there is profitability in import this cars to sell them in north america since ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: