Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rooffiing scamming& drunks.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

These posts are too much. Rolling Eyes
Here are a few tips.
-If you're going for the cheapest bid, you will get scammers, drug addicts, and leaks.
-If you do it yourself, you will almost kill yourself, and it will leak. Maybe not right away....but it will.
-If you do your research, and be willing to pay for quality and craftsmanship, you will will get a high quality install with a great warranty.....but your wallet won't like it.

Btw, I'm an electrical contractor that works for a roofing company installing solar. We have an A+ rating with the BBB, very high rating on Yelp, and we have won "Best Contractor" on Angie's List.......but we aren't cheap.
We are competitively priced with other reputable roofing companies in our area, but we separate ourselves from the others by doing superior work, and customer service.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
You wanted someone else to do the shittiest, least profitable part of a roofing job- taking away their ability to at least profit slightly from the shingles. Then found yourself doing it and it surprises you?

Sorry, I'm buying the materials, I'll pay for them with my check, and all the paperwork will be in my name. I've seen cases where the gypsy roofer skipped town owing the lumberyard money, and the lumberyard turned around and slapped a mechanic's lien on the homeowner. I don't believe in paying for the same materials twice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

joe h. wrote:
Here are a few tips.
-If you're going for the cheapest bid, you will get scammers, drug addicts, and leaks.
-If you do it yourself, you will almost kill yourself, and it will leak. Maybe not right away....but it will.
-If you do your research, and be willing to pay for quality and craftsmanship, you will will get a high quality install with a great warranty.....but your wallet won't like it.

Btw, I'm an electrical contractor that works for a roofing company installing solar. We have an A+ rating with the BBB, very high rating on Yelp, and we have won "Best Contractor" on Angie's List.......but we aren't cheap.
We are competitively priced with other reputable roofing companies in our area, but we separate ourselves from the others by doing superior work, and customer service.

Well said but as long as folks shop price alone they get screwed. And they wonder why. Very Happy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

I have no problem doing it right,it's about 1/2 done now. not hard at all , it's pretty simple but just a tad hot at times and bad back eazely aggravated. so I just do some in the am when the trees are shading it. not worried about leeks.as long as the roof is still there it wont leek( hurricane ally).(roofs are pretty simple if you have leeks your not doing it right.no majick to it)and it will look better than any of them would of done it.I dont slap shit up and bang bang bang away. why is it most everybody is after the quick fuck these days instead of doing it right for the fair price.
I walked through a kmart store this am. 1 register open and a line of customers . and a pile of employees standing around the store picking thier noses&scratching thier asses waiting for thier jobs to expire....no wonder why kmart is closeing so many stores. bad management,lazy employees. hire some mexicans, atleast they will work. Wink

just because somebpdy does good work&is a good craftsman dosent mean they need to eff you, although many do these days. but there are still some that dont.
and some start the job and .....wonder where there at after 2 months MIA...
and some of the craftsman.....well thats a stretch, some dont have a clue but do have a hammer&pensil.....but cant read a mesuring tape....or have common sense or a clue.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I have no problem doing it right,it's about 1/2 done now. not hard at all , it's pretty simple but just a tad hot at times and bad back eazely aggravated. so I just do some in the am when the trees are shading it. not worried about leeks.as long as the roof is still there it wont leek( hurricane ally).(roofs are pretty simple if you have leeks your not doing it right.no majick to it)and it will look better than any of them would of done it.I dont slap shit up and bang bang bang away. why is it most everybody is after the quick fuck these days instead of doing it right for the fair price.
I walked through a kmart store this am. 1 register open and a line of customers . and a pile of employees standing around the store picking thier noses&scratching thier asses waiting for thier jobs to expire....no wonder why kmart is closeing so many stores. bad management,lazy employees. hire some mexicans, atleast they will work. Wink

just because somebpdy does good work&is a good craftsman dosent mean they need to eff you, although many do these days. but there are still some that dont.
and some start the job and .....wonder where there at after 2 months MIA...
and some of the craftsman.....well thats a stretch, some dont have a clue but do have a hammer&pensil.....but cant read a mesuring tape....or have common sense or a clue.

So if you had to sum it all up in a sentence what would you say?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

coad wrote:
hitest wrote:
You wanted someone else to do the shittiest, least profitable part of a roofing job- taking away their ability to at least profit slightly from the shingles. Then found yourself doing it and it surprises you?

Sorry, I'm buying the materials, I'll pay for them with my check, and all the paperwork will be in my name. I've seen cases where the gypsy roofer skipped town owing the lumberyard money, and the lumberyard turned around and slapped a mechanic's lien on the homeowner. I don't believe in paying for the same materials twice.

Good point. In addition, if there ever is a warranty problem with the materials (remember the big mess a few years ago with faulty Certainteed shingles?) the homeowner will have proof of purchase readily available.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

Hey! Check it out! Mark tucker finally has a picture!!!

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

joe h. wrote:
Here are a few tips.

Boy, aren't you full of yourself? Roofs aren't that complicated unless you're dealing with lots of valleys & transitions. I dare say that a lot of the people that have any mechanical aptitude are just as capable of installing a leak free roof as a majority of the people I've seen on the roofing crews. It's hard, hot, hateful work but it isn't that difficult to do it right.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
joe h. wrote:
Here are a few tips.

Boy, aren't you full of yourself? Roofs aren't that complicated unless you're dealing with lots of valleys & transitions. I dare say that a lot of the people that have any mechanical aptitude are just as capable of installing a leak free roof as a majority of the people I've seen on the roofing crews. It's hard, hot, hateful work but it isn't that difficult to do it right.

Lol, I'm not saying I'm some badass roofer....quite the contrary, I don't roof at all. In fact, I felt the same way. Being an electrician, I feel I'm pretty handy, so I thought "how hard can it be?", and I helped a few of my buddies with their roofs. Once I started working for a roofing contractor that makes a point of doing the little things others don't, I realized there are many details that make a huge difference over the life of the roof. I also see on a almost daily basis, roofs that need to be replaced early because of improper installation. (Keep in mind, it's a little wet where I live. Wink )
The things we do isn't to overcharge or oversell. It's simply trying to do good work that we can stand behind. If that makes me full of myself.....then I guess I'm guilty.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

Anybody ever done wood flooring? I'd say almost as hard as roofing.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

I wouldent consider roofing hard, unless it's a real steep or real high roof. Ive done lotsa porcelain,ceramic,travertine,granite tile floor& other things, eazy....kinda fun, messy too. it does take some exp to get it right, do small stuff to get it figured out and use all the right tools&tips. it's just a tad hard on my knees&back.. I bought a bunch of the wood flooring....but gave it all away to go porcelain thought the house,oh so nice.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

DAMMIT!!! Now I'm looking for a roofer, a 6" diameter, 15' long limb dropped about 25' straight through my roof last night, right into my sons bedroom. Interesting night.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

I had a friend...well he was in the last story, so not somuch a friend any more. butg 30 years ago he was zinging his z28 in hos drivway when the flywheel exploded Shocked parts of the flywheel just about cut his camarow in half and one big peice went about 1/4 mile and landed in some lady's bed.... but since were right between many millitary bases they grounded all planes that were in the air because one of them droped part opf it's dics brakes...... real story. even paul harvy did a story about it when my old friend went to ask for the rest of his flywheel from the skybase.
fix your roof and fix it right or it will have issues.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I don't see it as a "scam" at all.
The roofer talked to you for a minute, realized that you are a jackass and gave you a price so high that there wasn't any way he was going to have to deal with you. Laughing

This! Laughing

For a 12x12 gable, why do you even ask anyone to go up there. You cannot do that yourself, McTuckey?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
super74beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

Bones 53 wrote:
I did some roofing - it really sucks. I can see why roofers drink and stuff. There's lot's easier ways to put food on the table than roofing

Robbing 7-11's comes to mind Wink

I roofed from about the time I was 16 till I was about 20, both shingle roofs and flat roofs. There's a reason the guys drink a lot; it's brutal work and pays little. You freeze in the Winter and burn in the Summer heat. There is no future in it except for the company owner.
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

The joys of home ownership!!!
Its always better to ask around for a good contracting company. Usually developers have good people to recommend.

I also have found the price of roofing for my house a little annoying. The first question most contractors ask is the work requested going to be paid by an insurance claim!

I will probably be doing my own roof next year. Its always better to rent a manlift and have a friend to help you to cut down on time and sore muscles. Manlifts are getting cheaper to rent every year. This will be the last time I do a roofing job ( Hopefully ) so I will splurge on the shingles.

Good luck Mark, be careful!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

I built a 28 ft x12 ft carport on the side of the house in 1995 to shade our 1988 Suburban, which was too large for the garage.

Structurally, the carport frame was very sound, but even though I had a header board on the side of the block wall of the house, I still wanted to space the joists to match the house's roof joists. Which meant that the spacing wasn't exactly 24 inches, some were up to 30 inches. So I didn't know enough to lap the plywood surface to go half-way onto a joist.

Anyway, I did end up with some leaks over the decades. Last fall I decided to pull all the plywood sheets and re-do, this time lapping the plywood/particle board. I did that all myself, but had Mrs. Cusser help with getting the sheets to the carport roof. I also cut the tar paper underlayment and was able to get that all stapled down myself as well. A friend of mine with better knees than me and better muscles carried the rolled roofing up the ladder, and helped me install that and do the tar part. So this re-do is much stronger structurally, as each sheet is firmly screwed into the joists. We've had several big rains in the past year, and so far is leak free as well.

I also patched a weak spot in the house roof; I have a 2nd layer of shingles on that, so "someday" that whole roof will need replacing (no current leaks though).

I HATE roofing !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

the plywood decking is usualy gaped with spacers , that wasent your leeking issue. Ive seen many efffed up roofing issues.from not enough stager to afu job,(not enough stager is also but looks just fine, but the water can run under the next shingle and get to the next rowas nail and if they used the everso poipular china iriadited nailes the heads rust totaly off and ...you have a leek or 2 or 3 and it run;s all over the place making it hard to track down. ther theres insat;lers not know how to install flashing,or cap 's, or ridge vents or.. or how to properly do vallys or how to do bird mouth gable type venting, or....well how to properly use thier brain. Im not a fan of 3 tab shingles,but they wolrk just fine if used right. the non tabed ones are somuch eazer and forgiving...faster too and almost fuckuo proof from a visual point....thats almost.
and after how many months it's been...no leeks at all.and I barely used my brain.....
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
Anybody ever done wood flooring? I'd say almost as hard as roofing.

Done both. Roofing is hard labor. Flooring is in the shade.
The sanding part if coupled with installing the flooring puts it equal to roofing.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rooffiing scamming& drunks. Reply with quote

I do ceramic,travertine and polyesther....oops porcelain Rolling Eyes dam brain. good thing you cant hear me talk Shocked
I did enjoy doing the roofing.weather was awesome hear in fl.....well I do have some humoungus oak trees that shaded the aera for over half the day. by then I was ready for some hot sun on my back&neck for a few hours then a good shower and hold the couch down so it didnt try to fly away. the only real part that bothered me was the sun in my eyes 1 day when I started on the rong side and went to the other side when the sun was...nuclear bright. that didnt take long to finish me off. the next am I started on that side then moved to the other side.work smart. or atleast learn to do so on the second day. there was somethen else that pissed me off too but... hopefuly we wont have any more contact. I dont do convenient friends....or ex~spurts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: