Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things Down Under
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wojo12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Things Down Under Reply with quote

I have just purchased a 1976 Thing, although I don't take possession for a couple of weeks.

I'm just wondering how many forum members are in Australia?
cwatts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Things Down Under Reply with quote

Not that many, I'm in Sydney ( 73 ex NATO Kubekwagon) and I've only seen 3 others in NSW, 1 I know of in Brisbane and rumours of some in the west. But that's just what I know - which is not much.

Would love some pics mate when you get organised.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Things Down Under Reply with quote

Hi gentlemen. Just curious. What are Things called in Australia? Is there some special moniker?
cwatts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Things Down Under Reply with quote

Morning Captain - Not really, I think because 181 was never formally sold in Aust the moniker relies on history maybe? So Euro 181's might be Kubels or Trekkers depending on where they're from - Not sure what the Indonesian ones are called - I think they have a name there ( Camat ? ) and ones that find their way over here from Murica are Things..... But mostly people say " What is that?".....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wojo12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Things Down Under Reply with quote

I have started a Facebook group to try and find as many Aussie Things as we can - https://www.facebook.com/groups/863284463817569/
wojo12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Things Down Under Reply with quote

In the UK , they were Trekkers, in USA they were Things, in Indonesia they were Camats, in Germany they were Kurierwagens, in Mexica they were Safaris and in Italy they were Pescaccias. Technically Type 181's are LHD and Type 182 are RHD but most people group them both together as Type 181's.
wojo12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Things Down Under Reply with quote

After just a week of searching, I have now found at least 11 Things in Australia, with 2 or 3 more to be confirmed.
wojo12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Things Down Under Reply with quote

Now up to 16 Type 181/182's, so where are the rest. Any info welcomed.
wojo12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Things Down Under Reply with quote

Here's my Thing.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/thumbnails/1508565.jpg
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Things Down Under Reply with quote

wojo12 wrote:
Here's my Thing.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/thumbnails/1508565.jpg

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wojo12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Things Down Under Reply with quote

I've added my Thing to the map. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: