Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing progress - undercoating
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maineshops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Thing progress - undercoating Reply with quote

The undercoating is flaking off the thing. No rust underneath. How do you folks deal with that? Scrape and re coat? Can I get white undercoating?
What is the color coda for the blizzard white paint? It just has the normal dings and rock chips so I'll just touch it up for now. Thanks for any help Dan, up in northern Maine
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Thing progress Reply with quote

If you search the forum for "paint codes" you'll find that Blizzard White is L-90H. The chart also lists a number 0892 for it too. Just make sure that the previous owner did not repaint it with another color of white. My Thing is white but luckily I was able to find out before I touched anything up on it that the previous owner that had it before the fellow that I purchased it from had repainted it Toyota's Super White which is a modern color so I just went up to my local Auto Zone and bought a tube of touch up paint.

As for the floor pan rust...I hit a couple of problem areas on mine with a stiff wire brush then painted on a couple of coats of a rust neutralizer before finally spraying on some undercoating (black). I have never seen or heard of white colored undercoating.

Good luck...
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Thing progress Reply with quote

The white chip guard inside the fender wells and under sides of the fenders, we use SEM Pro-Tex #40820 2K chip guard. This is a gray, white rubber like coating. Comes in a kit and must be sprayed with a gun with at least a 2.0 set up. A shutz gun will also work. Is paintable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maineshops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thing progress Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information folks ...Dan
bigbussur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing progress - undercoating Reply with quote

I have had really good luck with the Monstaliner and it applies really nice.
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing progress - undercoating Reply with quote

What color were the inner fenders stock? Black, body color or white like you're talking about? Thanks
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Thing progress - undercoating Reply with quote

White chip guard with body color on top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maineshops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing progress - undercoating Reply with quote

Inner fenders were coated with a thick material that appears to be the same color as the paint which is original blizzard white. Could be white and painted over however.
Got it running pretty good today. Had a plugged idle jet that I coulden't even see. Had to take an old guys word for it Arrow Laughing
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing progress - undercoating Reply with quote

That is the rubber chip guard that is real close to the white paint. Sounds like it is all original.
Maineshops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Thing progress - undercoating Reply with quote

Yes all original except the engine. I replaced the engine with a new one that I had bought for another project. Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: