Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mexican Combi with Jetta 1.8 engine
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Mexican Combi with Jetta 1.8 engine Reply with quote

Have been offered the above Combi in a trade. The exterior is mint but the engine has been around the clock and maybe more (speedo not even working).

Was wondering what people's opinions was on this engine? I don't want to be working on it all the time!
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Combi with Jetta 1.8 engine Reply with quote

Those motors will do beyond 200K easy if taken care of, if not taken care of, it'll just like any other thing that's not cared for.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Combi with Jetta 1.8 engine Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Those motors will do beyond 200K easy if taken care of, if not taken care of, it'll just like any other thing that's not cared for.

Amen. My truly first VW was a Jetta with a 1.8 (and I'm assuming this one's not one of the newer 1.8T engines). Sixteen-plus years and 275k miles after taking delivery, it finally needed a rebuild. We sold it only because too many cars while still having lingering student loan debt didn't make sense at the time.
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Combi with Jetta 1.8 engine Reply with quote

It's from 1989 and been around the clock. They sound like reliable engines so I think I will take the leap of faith with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: