Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

South African Sprintstars
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: South African Sprintstars Reply with quote

I just got me a full set of 5 14" SA Sprintstars from a trade. The 5th wheel isn't as wide as the others. 4 has TSW centercaps, the 5th has a plain centercap. I've never seen one for sale in the US (here or ebay), rarely seen them in general. Just curious what price they bring today. I know there's one at the classifieds for 980 UK ($1800ish). I'm not planning on selling these though, just more curious then anything.
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a set of them year's ago for $1200.00 wish I hadn't. I still have a single SA sprintstar in my collection.
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't understand why they are often referred to as South African Sprintstars when they're actually called 'Rostyles'. They are quite common here in Australia though. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Didi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, just came across this thread. Rostyle wheels is not that rare in South Africa either. It may be hard to find ones in perfect condition but I picked up a set of 5 localy for ZAR100 a piece i.e. $13.60.
The 14 inch is more difficult to find (compared to 15 inch) as it was only used on the SP Beetle.
Because it's a steel rim it can be widened easily to fit beach buggy tyres. I think that is what might have happened with your wheels Nic. TSW is a aftermarket mag wheel manufacturer. They came with a plain chrome center cap and the SP Beetle had chrome rings as well.
Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Der Steiner Rad wrote:
Don't understand why they are often referred to as South African Sprintstars when they're actually called 'Rostyles'. They are quite common here in Australia though. Very Happy

Becuase they are a wheel that was made to look like the empi sprintstars! Plus they were made in south africa.

I was selling my set of 14's all with caps, in restored condition for $1500, Only a few interested parties. I ended up selling them back to the guy I got them from. IMO they will be a rim that goes up in value. They are just short from desireable enough to make a repop out of, and people are starting to be interested.. Hang on to them man! or sell them to me!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivsamhell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
Der Steiner Rad wrote:

Becuase they are a wheel that was made to look like the empi sprintstars! Plus they were made in south africa.

I was selling my set of 14's all with caps, in restored condition for $1500, Only a few interested parties. I ended up selling them back to the guy I got them from. IMO they will be a rim that goes up in value. They are just short from desireable enough to make a repop out of, and people are starting to be interested.. Hang on to them man! or sell them to me!

rostyle has a lot of wheels almost the same design not sure if they were before or after sprint stars though....

couldn't bear puttin 14s on a car if they were fifteens i woulda been much more inclined
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there another wheel that looks very similiar to the SA SprintStar? I think Chad Magee has/had a set of them. The difference was the wheels have concentric ribs running the circumference of the rim. Not smooth like shown below:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
ivsamhell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the keels or "kiels?" look similar never seen a close up pic.....(allegedly 2nd set up in the pic)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213720

ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: sa sprints Reply with quote

I have a set on my blue 59 panel now. bubba purchased them in the UK for $260 for all 5, we cut the centers while we were there for vanfest. I just purchased a second set of 4 15" for roughly $750 for 4 also in the UK. I found one 14 inch at pomona, via Scat enterprises, for $10. hope that helps you some on the worth of these wheels. I am now looking for a set for David in GA. Twisted Evil
57 Panel, 66 highroof panel, 65 Notch, 59 Vert, 61 Vert, 1969 Fridolin, 'Reggie ' 66 RV, 65 Pipe Truck, 65 RHD T-34, 70 dbl slider panel, 1969 Deep sea green sunroof automatic square, the greypoop-on, and a shit load of wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ivsamhell wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:
Der Steiner Rad wrote:

rostyle has a lot of wheels almost the same design not sure if they were before or after sprint stars though....

couldn't bear puttin 14s on a car if they were fifteens i woulda been much more inclined

For a Bus that comes original with 14's I think they are a very cool fit!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TorrentNor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone post a picture of a OG SA Sprintstar center cap logo??

I've seen pictures of the wheels and center caps, but never of the original logo.

Also, the center cap does'nt look like the one on Lemmerz SS, right?

Thanks for any help Smile
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resurrecting and old thread

I have a really nice set of 4 15x4.5 South African Sprintstars aka rostyles

What is the original finish on these? Something like the dull silver/black oldsmobole/pontiac rallys? I've seen em chromed, I'm not doing that. I've seen them all black, I'm not doing that either. I've seen them gloss black and silver detailed and clear coated in heavy gloss. looks great, but my car is not shiney and I don't think I really want that look

I may not even use them, I may sell them. I don't think they'd look right stock height, and I'm not so sure I want to lower it. If they were rusted original paint SA's I'd just roll 'em but they are not.

Opinions? right now I'm leaning dull silver dull black flat clear. Maybe Wurth brand silver so they look like the same finish as windshield wipers (If I can get Wurth paint anymore) and like I said, I'm not sure if I even want to drop it. I have a pretty killer driveway and sideways is limited by square curbs. Maybe just dropped spindles and a notch in the rear

As it is, the hubcaps are wrong. It's MCoded for chrome caps but I can't bring myself to do that

Big Chadd or Resto-Johnny, If you read this bro, what would you ask for a set of 4 nice SA's nowadays?

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Sprintstars Reply with quote

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Sprintstars Reply with quote

easy e wrote:

Took me a second there to see them... Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: South African Sprintstars Reply with quote

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: South African Sprintstars Reply with quote

Here... made it a little clearer... S.A. Sprint Fest
62ItalianRagtop wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: