Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cutting Lug Bolts
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Cutting Lug Bolts Reply with quote

What ways have people come up with to cut lug bolts down to the correct length so they don't interfere with the drum brakes? They are to small to securely fit in my chop saw vise.

I bought some 60 taper lug bolts for my aluminum wheels and they are to long to use. They have about 21mm of thread, leaving about 17mm of thread exposed when I put them in wheel. The stock lug bolts stick out of the stock wheels about 10mm. Moore parts doesn't have any shorter 60 degree lug bolts listed on their web site and I didn't see anything shorter listed on the other vendors I frequent.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting Lug Bolts Reply with quote

How about a hacksaw and a vice, cover the vice face to keep the lug bolt pretty. Not fast, but it always worked for me.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting Lug Bolts Reply with quote

I've done that many years before, and may well do it again. I was hoping for some new ways. I'm looking at my first lug bolt in the vice right now...
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting Lug Bolts Reply with quote

To cut bolts shorter, I usually thread on 2 nuts with the outside one at the length I want to leave the bolt and then cut if off with a cutting disk on a die grinder. You could also use a bigger disk on an angle grinder. The nuts act as a guide and clean the edge of the thread when you spin them off.

brad
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting Lug Bolts Reply with quote

Sawzall and deburring tool.

http://shop.uniburr.com/products/uniburr-standard-...1123204039
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting Lug Bolts Reply with quote

I got the job done, I had to remove 3 threads from each bolt (about 5mm with clean up.) What worked for me was to grab the drill press vise and use a dremel with a 1.75 inch fiberglass cut off wheel. The drill press vise let me turn the work 90 degrees and have the end of the bolt facing me as well as hold the work lower on a garage bar stool. I did a quick clean up with the grinder and a couple files (an aggressive coarse cut to flatten the end and remove cutter marks, a 60 degree file to clean the last thread.)

This allowed me to mount Empi slotted mags on my '57 Bug for a bit of an old school look. The Plymouth I learned to drive on years ago had slotted mags too.

That Uniburr looks like a great tool for cleaning up the ends after cutting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: