Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MK 4 Golf Gti hatch release problem
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: MK 4 Golf Gti hatch release problem Reply with quote

Car is a 2002 Gti ,issue is that the actuator locks the door when you close the gate.
You can open it with the key to the far right position. Actuator works fine when bench tested ,but is lazy under power when hooked up. Micro switch is bad on lock and the locking mechanism is sloppy from 195K worth of use.
Car had a deck lid release but I do not see an actuator to release it. Fuse #6 was missing ,but replacing it did nothing.
Any suggestions are fine.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MK 4 Golf Gti hatch release problem Reply with quote

The actuator is a solenoid with a link on it connected to the lock. I've dealt with those in the past, they have plastic and pot metal in them that will fail. You may need a new solenoid if it doesn't work or a lock assy. I don't remember if they are one unit or separate.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: MK 4 Golf Gti hatch release problem Reply with quote

My 2000 GTI stopped operating with key or external lever. Could hear the actuator work but no go. I do not have the interior release but got it open by pulling the panel and flipping the latch. Upon inspection I found the plastic dog leg that operates the release cam was disconnected. It popped together nicely so easy fix. In your case it must be a faulty motor.. although that linkage looks to take very little effort to operate. Perhaps just some lube?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MK 4 Golf Gti hatch release problem Reply with quote

Working perfectly now. We bought a new keyed lock mechanism from the dealer and installed it.
It was just worn out, it had axial play in it which was too much slop and the lever fell out of position.
The new lock from VW keyed was $155.00. I now understand how it functions. It is not unlocked with the door locks, you must hit the release button in the car or on the fob and then you can open the gate. But once closed you must hit it again or use the key to open the trunk.
A little different in its function, but at least it now works as kit should.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: