Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wire wheels for Ghia or VW
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zootjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

Has anyone experience with OG WireWheels? I am in the market for 14 x 6 with the 4 x 130 pattern. OG has custom made rims at what seems a very good price. Any information on wheel offset and what will fit on a Ghia with a 2.5" front drop will be appreciated.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

I have these 14X6 Zenith wire wheels for sale for $800.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zootjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

Nice wheels, I like but way out of my price range. Thanks for replying
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

Why 14" wheels? You are REALLY handicapping yourself as far as tire sizing with 14" wheels. Hardly any tires are made any more for them. $200 a wheel is dirt cheap for spokes.

brad
zootjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

14' tires are not hard to find. Fender rubbing of the tires can be a problem with a lowered Ghia. OG Wires are listed @ $115 each. I just hoped that some one out there had experience with wire rims on a Ghia, especially with reversed rims or standard. I like to try and do things my way first just to see if it can be done.

thanks for the reply
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

$460 does not include the $100 adapters,$80 knockoffs & $157.10 shipping to Oregon for a set of 4 = $797.10 I don't see 4X130 bolt pattern listed?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zootjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up on those items. I re-checked the OG internet shopping site and the adaptor and knock off are included in the the $115.00 price and shipping to Bend OR. is $77 for a total of about $537. for 4 rims. Therefore I can't justify paying $800. But thanks for the replies.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

Have you owned "knock off" wire wheels before? I have owned 3 sets and they have a few little things about them that should be noted.

The knock offs need to be checked and tightened more often then lug nuts would on a normal rim.

Depending on how many spokes they have, cleaning between and behind them is a chore.

Spokes themselves can become loose overtime and need to be checked. There is a inner seal along the spokes, these can leak over time as well.

Here is an article about this from a premier wire wheel builder in North Carolina. http://www.hendrixwirewheel.com/wirewheels.html

I love the look of wire wheels but I also know they can be high maintenance. Also I would never trust $115 wire wheels...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zootjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. Cleaning is not an issue but the info on the spoke tension etc. is very valuable. I will take your information into consideration when coming to a final choice. The OG wire wheels are being used by the "Low Rider" community, a huge volume of sales.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

Show us the link to this 'internet shopping site' for buying wheels/hubs & knockoffs for $115??? http://www.ogwirewheels.com/
You do have to spare the grease & actually use a little lock tite on them, but the left front wheel is the only wheel I ever had loosen really. Mine were rusty chrome, so I sand blasted them and painted them gray similar to Girling wheels. I bought new inner tubes for the 175X65 & 195X70 tires & have never had a flat tire!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Last edited by Mike Fisher on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
zootjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

Search for OGRIMSDIRECT.COM
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

Okay some are $110 w/hub & knockoff! Shocked 14X6 & no reverse? They need to look pretty flat like my wheels for a lowered KG I would think. Mine are 72 spoke but you probably have to go with the 100 spoke 14X6 standard ogwheels that look pretty flat? I tried to run reversed 7X15 steel wheels on my squareback and it was a disaster that cost me money when I finally sold them at a loss Rolling Eyes
http://www.ogrimsdirect.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=40
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

GOOT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wire wheels for Ghia or VW Reply with quote

I have had knockoffs on a 71 super beetle and a 63 beetle. Both cars has wider fenders than stock. I ran 13 X 5 1/2s on both. I think you could get away with a 14x6 with a standard offset,(not reverse) For more clearance you could always narrow the beam too.

I've bought many sets of wire wheels from OGwirewheel and never had an issue. I've had a friend who bought some from them and had some issues with air leaks though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: