Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rockauto closeouts
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Rockauto closeouts Reply with quote

If you do not already get the e-news letter from Rockauto....you should sign up.

Once a month or so they gather together a list of manufacturers parts closeouts specifically for my car....meaning dirt cheap.

This does not really always mean the parts are no longer made....but sometimes it does. Rockauto acquire parts in many ways. Usually it means that they are simply getting close to the end of whats on inventory for a part and are just clearing the shelf for cheap.

I dont really have the money to spend on little things this month so I will post my list here so others might see these discounts and benefit.

I get lots of very high quality small hardware bits this way....I got a handful of front bearing seals ...Sabo brand....for .50 cents each last summer, lots of brake hardware...caliper rebuild kits that were FAG...for dirt cheap during Rockauto manufacturer closeouts.

Enjoy!

Bear in mind that a few items in this list are for my 2012 Golf. The brake hardware, hoses, rear shoes and rear wheel cylinder rebuild kits should be of interest though.

http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1280124&m=wc&l=en&html=true
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto closeouts Reply with quote

UPDATE: If you guys are not perusing these closeout sales....you are missing out...BIG TIME

So....I whipped out the calculator...and it was just too cheap not to spend SOMETHING.

I bought:

4 Federal Mogul/National rear wheel bearing seals @ .51 cents each = $2.01

4 Beck Arnely single caliper rebuild kits (fits early and late) @ $1.36 each= $5.44
Shipping over the weekend to arrive today was $5.99.
Total $13.47

What I got in the mail:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are NOS seals....that have been re-labeled to list the current stock # for this seal which is 1969

For reference, this box is at least 1998 or 1999 and is one of my spare seals I have had around and is the same seal with the old number of A95257. The second picture is old and new boxes together.

Front of seals with older one on left. Same exact seal.

Back of seals.

The four Beck Arnley caliper kits....note made in Germany on boxes Wink Very Happy

These are definitely NOS. Can't tell how old....but nearly perfect condition.

Kit #1 complete with new bolt locking plates, anti-rotation plates, new Class 10.9 bolts and inner and out seals.....AND....they are FAG! Very Happy

Kit #2. The bag was stapled shut only as they all were. The bolts had surface rust and no bolt locking plate. All else is just fine. This is not a surprise.
Through the years...some of these kits came with everything but the locking plate and some had the locking plate. The bolts look worse in the pictures than they are. They will clean up fine. Again...and NOS FAG kit.

Kit # 3 also has the rusted bolts and no locking plate. If memory serves...some of the years that had no bolt locking plates in the kit supplied either bare bolts or black oxide plated bolts. Both will develop light surface rust sitting in boxes in humid environments over a long period. Again...an FAG kit.

The other two kits had zinc plated bolts.

Kit #4....identical to kit #1. Has the bolt locking plate and non-rusted zinc plated bolts. FAG as well.

The kits in the bags

A detail of the outer seal logo.

Verdict:
I would buy these even with shipping. At $1.36 for each caliper kit even if it comes without bolt locking plates....its absolute BLASPHEMY not to buy these!

By the way...for reference you will note that Rockauto also sells Centric brand caliper rebuild kits...for $24.79....for EACH caliper.

I bought two of these centric kits last summer for $24 each...$48 total.

They were in fact these exact same FAG kits, labeled made in Germany and rebagged in new Centric bags. For a 90% savings...buy these when they come up!.

These are the Centric caliper kit bags...note the made in Germany.

The contents of two Centric bags....and they are all FAG.

So....keep an eye out for Rockauto dirt cheap parts sales. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto closeouts Reply with quote

Caliper kits are gone but I did get brake pads and seals. Cheap!
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto closeouts Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:
Caliper kits are gone but I did get brake pads and seals. Cheap!

If you need caliper kits...I can sell you two of mine...the complete ones with the shiney bolts and locking plate....for the same $1.36 I bought them for.

I just rebuilt my front calipers and have not even installed them yet with the Centric FAG kits from last summer....and I have another really old but pristine full set of FAG in the box from 1999.

I didn't need these at all...but for $1.36 I thought it wasteful NOT to buy them. Everyone should have a spare caliper kit around.

In fact...at $1.36 a kit....I will be happy to just send you a pair if you are in need and have no other spares.

Just pay it forward somewhere for someone else. Very Happy Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rockauto closeouts Reply with quote

Did they happen to have transmission repair kits for an auto.?

BTW if not what would be a good source for a transmission repair kit? Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rockauto closeouts Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Did they happen to have transmission repair kits for an auto.?

BTW if not what would be a good source for a transmission repair kit? Bob

As far as I know.....the overall best source has been bulkpart.com in Dallas Texas.

However Rockauto does have both just a seal set for the 003 trans which is about $69.....and a full set that includes all clutch and friction material for about $165

There have been a few parts that have been in short supply so I would inquire. Ray
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rockauto closeouts Reply with quote

My order arrived last Friday. No caliper rebuild kits for cheap but all this cost about $14.

1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rockauto closeouts Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:
My order arrived last Friday. No caliper rebuild kits for cheap but all this cost about $14.

Man...thats a bargain! Very Happy

As I noted...if you need a pair of caliper kits let me know. I will give them to you for the same $5 they cost me. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: