Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Show and Go Englishtown, NJ
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: VW Show and Go Englishtown, NJ Reply with quote

The vendors there are your typical down to earth, friendly and laid back VW enthusiasts who like to talk VW's just as much as selling parts. I never ever felt bad about haggling until this show. Many of them didn't even make enough money to cover their vending fee. I truly felt bad for these guys. I always thought of (and still do) think of VW's as the 'peoples car'. I walked the aisles many times and I guesstimate the highest valued vehicle there was a Ghia worth about 22k. This isn't the Frankfurt Motor Show for gosh sakes.

Now on to the good stuff, I need to share my spoils from said show. I'm not too sure what this thing is, but it looked important and it was like 2 bucks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next, I got a bunch of smalls:

Made a bee-line for this: aluminum trim molding. Says Type 4 on the cap of the tube. I don't have any side trim; it's gold pinstriping. Excited about trying these on for size. Looks like it could do a bunch of cars; we will see. Any suggestions where I can get the proper clips?

I was so psyched to grab this thing! One a side note.. The dude was really a nice guy. He was also selling an NOS T4 wiring harness still in the box. It had the VW diagnostic plug and all the sensors (i.e. the cylinder 1 wire collar and TDC sensor plug). It looks like it may be for a wagon as I recognized some wires that led to the FI relay behind the rear side panel) He posted it here as well, I can vouch that its an unmolested part. So, back on topic. This diagnostic thing is really awesome. It even came with an instruction manual. I am really good with electronics, so I'll probably refurb the inner workings of this thing prior to plugging in to my car. The only thing that blows is the tester only goes up till 1972 Type 4's. I'm not too sure what the changes were in the D-Jet system in 1973. Hopefully minimal.

One final note on this item. I'm a firm believer in spreading the knowledge and great stories about these cars, so if anyone wants to borrow the tester, it's yours. I'll ship it to you. Just cover the round trip shipping/insurance costs.
Here it is:

Here is the holy grail of the day. A fantastic unused windshield for a T411 or T412. The dudes name is Willie and he's another class act. Aside from the windshield, he gave me a set of beautiful corner tail lights for a 412 in exchange for my NOS windshield seal with no aluminum groove. However, I mistakenly thought they were front blinker lenses. That said, I already have an NOS set of rear tail lights, so I be sending them back. If anyone is interested in them, let me know; I can reach out to him and see whar he wants for them. He's out of Kimberton PA (not too far from my home). He has 2-3 windshields left I think. He won't ship, I don't blame him. I've been combing for 1 for just about a year. My current windshield isn't terrible, just some hazing on the bottom corners and a tiny rock chip. It fit in my Westy perfectly:

Thanks for reading. -Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW Show and Go Englishtown, NJ Reply with quote

The side trim looks similar to Type 3 trim? ISP West has a selection of clips for the different widths & new stainless steel trim sets. The VW Tester also works on Type 3 FI systems.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW Show and Go Englishtown, NJ Reply with quote

I noticed that the FI tester works on T3's too. So my offer to lend out still applies to T3 enthusiasts as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Show and Go Englishtown, NJ Reply with quote

Nice haul. Yes...the side trim is the same profile as type 3. Uses the same readily available trim clip.

Just be aware...the trim clips leak over time....and are rust magnets. If you want to reapply them...seal the inside with RTV.

The tester....always wanted one...but to me the real usefulness is just to check that all parts of the ECU are actually functional by going through the test list. For eons......and decades ago before I learned how to tune D-jet....I thought one would help me get the car tuned.

Nope....there are "0" tuning functions in the system tester. It is just that...a functionality tester...and is a great tool for that.

My VOM actually has better accuracy for component testing and I can do that in roughly 20 minutes for the whole system.

But....its great for checking if ECU's are bad.

The first picture appears to be a fuel pump for a gas heater. It looks slightly different than ours but may still fit and work.

The glow plug is always a good score...so is an extra steering wheel cover. The gas tank filler boot...is it NOS or is it one of the good re-pops from ISP? Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW Show and Go Englishtown, NJ Reply with quote

Wish I could have been there====would love to have a windshield, but trying to figure out how to get one to Oklahoma. I'm looking into his offer to deliver anywhere along I-95----he must make trips to Florida. I have relatives in Virginia, and North Carolina. Could you tell the shape of the side moldings? My car has all of them, but they have the usual parking lot dings. Bob
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW Show and Go Englishtown, NJ Reply with quote

Sure, I'll look at the side moldings. I don't have any on mine (that's how I bought it), so I'm going to need some and maybe a spare. Plus, I don't want to mislead anyone. Even though the cap on the tube says 'Type 4' (or something like that, I forget) doesn't mean it's necessarily true. This could be a hodge-podge of trim pieces for other cars. I'll keep you posted and let you know what is there.

As to the windshield, that thing is a delicate beast. It's heavy and catches wind as you walk with it. I was almost blown over lol.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: