Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghia_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor Reply with quote

I'm converting a 1960 30 horse to 12volt using a 356 small case generator.

I really want to run 12 volt electronic ignition in the original vacuum advance dizzy, which is a VJUR 4 BR8 but i can't seem to find one that states it's for this use.

Does anyone know which is the right kit or which kit i could use?

Would a Pertronix 1844 as used in a Bosch 010 work? I know that's not a vacuum advance dizzy but it is 2 piece points and I can't for the life of me work out how the dizzy gets it's advance curve would effect the ignition module?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Steve
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor Reply with quote

Hello Steve, I don't believe anyone makes a points replacement module for the VJU 4 BR 8 Beetle distributor. They are available for the VJ 4 BR 8 Bus distributor because it's the same unit as fitted to the 019 and 010. The points are a different design on the bus distributor.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghia_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply tasb

I've been in touch with Hotspark and they say they have a unit the will fit with a small amount of filing. I'm going to give it a go and will report back if it works

Cheers
Steve
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor Reply with quote

The Pertronix 2843 should fit the VJU4BR8.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I would stay away from hot spark.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghia_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor Reply with quote

Thank you Glenn, I was hoping you would reply, you are Mr Distributor! I'll order up the Pertronix

Cheers
Steve
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor Reply with quote

I'm running a 6v version in my distributor, works well. Not running the flame thrower tho, using it with a judson coil an have no problems.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor Reply with quote

Just note that the 6v versions can have problems if the voltage drops below 6v. I've had Porsche owners tell me they had engine missing when driving in the rain with the headlights on.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
jdub63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor Reply with quote

So will the Pertronix #91844 work with a Bosch 010 in a 12 volt system? Does it matter 12v or 6v??
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor Reply with quote

jdub63 wrote:
So will the Pertronix #91844 work with a Bosch 010 in a 12 volt system? Does it matter 12v or 6v??

I'm pretty sure the 91844 is 12v and yes it does matter. You can't run a 12v in a 6v and visa versa.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Just note that the 6v versions can have problems if the voltage drops below 6v. I've had Porsche owners tell me they had engine missing when driving in the rain with the headlights on.

Glenn, I've had the elecs rebuilt. Drive it as a daily so there is times that the lights/wipers/semaphores are all on with no problems yet.
Schnage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor Reply with quote

Hello, is the pertronix really working with a 6v judson magneto?
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix for VJUR 4 BR8 distributor Reply with quote

Sure is. No problems with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: