Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement body parts and order of replacement 1967
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WADVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Replacement body parts and order of replacement 1967 Reply with quote

Hello,

1st post here and yes I have and continue to search for previous threads however I have a couple dilemmas. I am a skilled welder and have good mechanical sense but not much experience with VW bugs. I have a 1967 bug that to start needs floor pans, heater channels, quarter panels, front lower wheel wells and the section that the back of the heater channels butt up to below the rear seat(don't recall their name at the moment) everything is pretty weak and the door sags a little so I'm sure some realignment and bracing is in store.

1) what order should I attack this project? I have relatively limited space and for the most part am on my own on this project. So moving the body back and forth is necessary for proper fitment but would like to limit my trips as much as possible. Would seem that the body should be stripped, realigned, braced and removed. Then new pans installed and the body test fit. Then removed and cut out, repair all the body(channels, etc) re test trot and then final welded. Is that the best way, missing a step or two? Most of the info I have found doesn't address replacing all of these at once.

2) where is the best source for replacement panels? I read that the dansk heater channels are good how about Klassic Fab? I get confused reading all the different threads and adapting the info to my 1967, seems as some are better in certain years. To compound that issue, some sites selling the panels show different year ranges. I would prefer to spend a few extra bucks to make it work much better and have a quality product. Are all the other patch panels the same?

Thanks for any help and advise in advance. I am continuing to dig for info and will be purchasing the bug me videos to get some specific tips on these tasks.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement body parts and order of replacement 1967 Reply with quote

Whoa! And i thought that I have issues with one of my 67's.
Welcome to the samba.
As you may or not know, a 67 is kinda of one year car. Some things from other years work but not all. If you search for replacement body parts you find that the years go up to 66. And then continue 68 and up. See what's missing? The best bet for replacement panels is original German (og).
Trust me on this. the metal is better and fits correctly.
Regarding heater channels. Klaassic Fab is the best you can get. You get what you pay for.
Don't trust the guy at the wrecking yard for fitment. I learned this hard lesson yesterday. Measure everything twice. So that you can get the correct parts.
There are some guys in Maple Valley that have a bunch of 67 parts. They are veteran's of the armed services. I haven't bought anything from them but advertise in CL everyday. Just search air cooled VW parts, bug, beetle and that should get you the link to their add.
DO get the bug me videos. There's gold in those.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement body parts and order of replacement 1967 Reply with quote

My strong suggestion. See if you can find a donor bug to cut the body panels off of. Most if not ALL aftermarket sheet metal sucks. It's too thin. It doesn't fit and is a pain in the butt to work with.

If that was my bug? I'd weld supports across the lower door posts. Then side to side across the bug so nothing moves. Then, remove it from the pan for easy access to what you want to cut off and weld back on.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WADVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement body parts and order of replacement 1967 Reply with quote

Thanks. Do the OG panels have another name or any recommendation of sellers of these? Yes have noticed issues with this year and the parts, has added to my confusion. Will look up Craigslist and see what they have, that is pretty close to me. I need to cut a patch panel out of a junk yard car to repair a rust spot above the pass side rear fender.

I plan on bracing everything up and separating the body from the pan. I don't even want to think about crawling around inside and cutting it apart.

Despite the rust issues the car is straight and runs and drives great. I picked this car up in eastern Washington and drove it home over Stevens pass without issue or even needing to slow down really.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement body parts and order of replacement 1967 Reply with quote

There's this in Or
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5549033124.html
These are the guys I was talking about.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/pts/5528408047.html
God Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement body parts and order of replacement 1967 Reply with quote

There's lot of sellers in the classifieds who are parting out VW's to include some of the remaining wrecking yards. I'd ONLY look at folks and wrecking yards in the dry SW USA. People ship larger body parts like the heater channels on Greyhound bus for reasonable fees.

I replaced a lot of the lower 12" on my 69' convertible w/new aftermarket sheet metal. I spent twice the time fitting it vs. reinstalling good, used VW sheetmetal.
I wish I would of simply purchased a donor car or had the parts I needed cut off a wrecked bug. My life and the project would of been so much easier.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: