Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggest a good panel adhesive
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Suggest a good panel adhesive Reply with quote

I'm adding an aluminum panel to my (non-VW) truck. Can't weld it, and I'd prefer not to drill screw holes.

What would be a good panel adhesive to use?
And does the paint have to be removed for the adhesive to work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggest a good panel adhesive Reply with quote

Is this panel going in the engine compartment? Just curious. Have you thought about liquid nails? I recently repaired a ceramic BBQ. I shopped at Home Depot and found something that was designed for just my application.. I was shocked at the different types of adhesives they carry. Try there, they may have something that will work for your application.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Suggest a good panel adhesive Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Is this panel going in the engine compartment? Just curious.

No, it's an aluminum step that goes here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Not my truck. I only wish mine was as nice.)
It covers the step, comes up about 2-3 inches and wraps around the side.

As delivered, the part that wraps around the fender must be bent manually. Can't weld it (no TIG) and I don't want to use screws (and make more holes), so I thought a panel adhesive might do the trick.
It's got to be "weather-proof" since the truck sits outdoors 24/7/365.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Suggest a good panel adhesive Reply with quote

112 views and only 1 suggestion?

Where's Ray Greenwood when I need him? Confused
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggest a good panel adhesive Reply with quote

Actally the Home Depot suggestion was a good one!

In thr past my go to panel adhesive was 3M marine sealant adhesive.....series 5200. It comes in a handful of colors, white, black, tan, gray, brown etc. You will find it having part #s like 5202.....and the final digit just describes a specific color.

Its still one of my favorites. Its designed to stay flexible and seal below the waterline. It makes a killer fender to body sealant. The ONLY problems it has....is that its VERY agressive. More on this below.

Home depot carries small tubes according to web site.

The question is.....is what you need for your application more of a sealant or more of an adhesive?
The 3M 5200 series is Both. It remains flexible....but pretty stiff. Its about 75-80 durometer (for reference, tires and black rubber suspension bushings are 45-55 durometer in hardness)......but it seals to no end.....and does NOT come off. This may or may not be a problem.

I can tell you that removing the fromt fenders from my 412 three months ago.....after applying this sealant about 16 years ago....literally required a flexible wire saw drawn between fender and body. Otherwise I would have to destroy the fenders prying them off.....and the remaining adhesive has to be ground off. Nothing touches it.

Also.....they make (now) a fast drying version of it. I don't know how strong tuat one is.....but the original takes 24 hours or more to be totally cured. Do NOT get it on paint.

So....also at home depot and Lowes.....are some superb Dap and as mentioned...Liquid nails products. You dont want a liquid nails construction adhesive.

You want what is called an outdoor "architectural or glass" adhesive. They stay extremely pliable...typically about 30-45 durometer hardness. They are similar to a stiff silicone.

But...look for two things on the label:
1. 25 year outdoor. These are non-shrinking, UV stable architectura caulk adhesive used around doors, windows and flashing.
2. Paintable. Most of the good ones are very paintable. They take automotive primers and top coat with no issues.

This is because technically they are an acrylic....but many have a xylene additive to speed drying and to eat into and grip onto plastics. Again....be careful getting it on paint.

A caulking gun 10 oz tube of one of these will be $7-12. The 3M 5200 series is $20-25.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Suggest a good panel adhesive Reply with quote

If you want the best. http://3mcollision.com/3m-panel-bonding-adhesive-08115.html

Needs a special caulking gun. You should remove the paint first unless you trust the paint to hold it on.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Suggest a good panel adhesive Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, Kman!
That’s just the type of knowledge I was looking for, and I knew someone out there had it.
Having zippo experience w/ these adhesives, I didn’t want to go to HD, buy it, try it, and later discover I bought the wrong thing. Embarassed Then start over. Evil or Very Mad
Thanks again!
CB75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Suggest a good panel adhesive Reply with quote

My buddy who owns a glass shop has glued things on with urethane the same stuff they glue your windshield in with. Seems to hold real good. Just a though. And the tubes are the same as a caulking tube
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Suggest a good panel adhesive Reply with quote

kman wrote:
If you want the best. http://3mcollision.com/3m-panel-bonding-adhesive-08115.html

Needs a special caulking gun. You should remove the paint first unless you trust the paint to hold it on.

Of for sure!....that is a bad-ass adhesive! But...it is an epoxy. It has virtually no flex and is damn, damn, damn hard to remove.

Just be sure what you need your adhesive for. If its strictly body panel adhesive...you cannot beat that one.

But if its also a flexible water seal....that one may not be as good.

Also...if its a seal/joint that will be exposed to direct sunlight...the epoxy does not hold up well longterm. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggest a good panel adhesive Reply with quote

Why not double sided tape? 3M makes some great products. I have been using Evercoat 2 part panel adhesive and you use a regular caulking type gun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: