Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Erratic idle 2008 GTi
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

I'm away from my Code reader now but would love some educated guesses on my up & down idle..... Vehicle is a 2008 GTi with 90,000 miles.....it started to idle erratic......but seems to run fine at speed.....My first guess would be Mass Air Sensor with this kind of mileage......any guesses from someone who knows these water cooled vehicles better than me ?? Thanks.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

Forgot to add..... the idle goes as high as 1,800 RPM's , then back to normal idlle.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

Unexpectedly got access to a Code Reader........not Mass Air Sensor ....the code says PVC bad......less expensive : )

73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

Check and see if there is any only leaking from the bell housing. If there is you may need a rear main seal too. If the seal is bad, the engine can suck unmetered air through it and cause idle problems and the MIL on.

Central Jersey VW Society
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

73sports wrote:
Check and see if there is any only leaking from the bell housing. If there is you may need a rear main seal too. If the seal is bad, the engine can suck unmetered air through it and cause idle problems and the MIL on.

X2, I've gotten several of these where the seal separates from the carrier. Another possibility is the brake booster, keep an ear out for a constant hiss that changes as you depress the brake pedal, I've gotten several of these too & the local dealer had both in stock on all occasions.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
73sports wrote:

X2, I've gotten several of these where the seal separates from the carrier. Another possibility is the brake booster, keep an ear out for a constant hiss that changes as you depress the brake pedal, I've gotten several of these too & the local dealer had both in stock on all occasions.
. No air leaks at brake booster and no oil leaks at bell housing.......when the three feet of snow covering the car clears I'll order the PCV valve and report back....thanks.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

Old n' slow wrote:
No air leaks at brake booster and no oil leaks at bell housing.......when the three feet of snow covering the car clears I'll order the PCV valve and report back....thanks.

it will never leak oil...ever. with the massive amount of vacuum vw designed into their shitty PVC system, the seal physically breaks away and causes a vacuum leak.

if you monitor o2 data and spray carb clean in the bellhousing you'll watch your readings go batshit crazy.

DO NOT drive the car this way. there is a chance damage wasn't done to the seal yet. a slim chance, but still a chance. use a genuine valve cover too. do not use aftermarket. trust me

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

it will never leak oil...ever. with the massive amount of vacuum vw designed into their shitty PVC system, the seal physically breaks away and causes a vacuum leak.

if you monitor o2 data and spray carb clean in the bellhousing you'll watch your readings go batshit crazy.

DO NOT drive the car this way. there is a chance damage wasn't done to the seal yet. a slim chance, but still a chance. use a genuine valve cover too. do not use aftermarket. trust me[/quote]. O2 data.....uh oh got to get another meter......air cooled was so much simpler. Thanks.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

trying to diag todays cars with a cheapie code reader is like pissing in the wind.

lets hope you don't need a RMS...big expensive job

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

I've seen plenty ccta engines leak oil from a bad rear main seal, not all of them have running problems either. Sometimes it's both, but not always. When ever I get one with trim faults or similar, the first thing I check is for oil leaking from the bell housing.

Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

No oil leaks, no brake booster leaks.....replaced PCV.......erratic idle gone.....check engine light went out....runs great again : )

73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

Sometimes it is the simpler solution. Usually when that breather on the valve cover is faulty you can hear it sucking air.

thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

Any of you guys replying on this thread on IATN? Skills, your demeanor seems familiar....
21junkstreet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Erratic idle 2008 GTi Reply with quote

If it's an FSI engine it probably needs a breather valve. On top of the valve cover.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: