Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!!
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

Buy used or new?

Can I buy a decent one for $500-$700?

If I buy one with a tig welder, can/should I sell my mig welder? I was eyeing this one (but new). I don't necessarily have a "need" for the tig welder but have always heard it is better than mig...although I don't know how to tig weld, I suppose I could learn just like I learned mig welding. http://denver.craigslist.org/tld/5419979287.html

I would use it for the occasional auto body sheet metal but more for cutting 3/16" or 1/4" steel. I am planning on building another bbq smoker soon so would need to cut thicker steel but cant see a need to cut thicker than 1/4" (my mig welder only welds to 1/4" anyway).

Any help/feedback is appreciated.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

Run from those all in one machines as fast as you can.

I know you're eyeballing them enviously thinking "I can tig and plasma cut with one box-woohoo!!!!" No-those are garbage.

I have @1000.00 in a used Miller 2050 plasma cutter. It's bulletproof and will cut at least 5/8" steel. It's an awesome machine that I'll likely keep forever as I'll never need more than it can do. I had a Miller 650 tig that was pretty well useless and close to the quality of machine you're looking at (Chinese crap). The low end tig's are dc only so they'll only handle ferrous metals (no aluminum-etc). They also only have air cooled torches that make them painfully slow in welding. I built a couple exhausts with my Miller tig and sold it-disappointed. It was no where near the quality of machine I had learned on in school $10k+ units with water cooled torches that did a much better job.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Run from those all in one machines as fast as you can.

I know you're eyeballing them enviously thinking "I can tig and plasma cut with one box-woohoo!!!!" No-those are garbage.

I have @1000.00 in a used Miller 2050 plasma cutter. It's bulletproof and will cut at least 5/8" steel. It's an awesome machine that I'll likely keep forever as I'll never need more than it can do. I had a Miller 650 tig that was pretty well useless and close to the quality of machine you're looking at (Chinese crap). The low end tig's are dc only so they'll only handle ferrous metals (no aluminum-etc). They also only have air cooled torches that make them painfully slow in welding. I built a couple exhausts with my Miller tig and sold it-disappointed. It was no where near the quality of machine I had learned on in school $10k+ units with water cooled torches that did a much better job.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah, I don't "need" a tig welder but seeing the all in one stuff got me thinking.

Ill stick just to a plasma. Can I get a decent one for $700-800?

I was also eyeballing this, but damn, I am not sure I want to spend that much just because...on a tool that I wont realy use that often.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_323773-1703-K2820-1___?productId=3554858&pl=1&Ntt=plasma+cutter
cide1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

I have a Hypertherm Powermax 30 (3/8" cut is easy using 240 volt power, it could probably do more), a Miller 211 MIG (never tried more than 1/4" on 240 volt), a 12" abrasive chop saw, and a bunch of air and electric grinders. Overall, these let me do a variety of tasks OK, but I don't feel well setup to do real fine work.

My house has bedrooms over my garage, so I don't feel safe having oxy-acytelene tanks.

If money was no object, I would add a metal cutting bandsaw and a TIG welder, but then I would want a tubing bender and a tubing notcher, and then a much bigger fab table, and then....
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

...and then....

it never ends does it? I have quite the plethora of tools and am running out of space.

I do not have 240v in my garage so am likely looking at 110v units (or combo units).
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

We have a Miller 375 plasma cutter. It is doing an odd start up thing a year later. Called Miller and they answered all our questions and directed us to what to do ( even said it was covered and where to go for service ). I researched it a lot and it seemed that it is well worth the money. Also it is small and comes with a hard shell case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

Good advice Clay ^^^
If I was buying a new or used Plasma Cutter, I'd go w/ a Miller or Hypertherm (they are just down the road from me), they are way better than any cheapodepo Eastwood/ Harbor freight rig.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

I have a Miller 375 plasma I bought in 1999. In 2010 we had a flood in our valley and I had 3 ft. of muddy water in the shop. Both my MIG and Plasma torch were under water- unplugged.
I figured they were toast so I took the backs off more to see what kind of magic was in there.
I pressure washed the mud out and saw that all the magic parts were covered in a waxy covering. I blew the water out.
The next day decided to give it a try
They both have worked fine.
Buy good quality name brand tools and they last
best wishes
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

It depends on what you are using it for but I can vouch for the chinese Simadre plasma cutters on Ebay. We had one at the shop I used to work at and literally beat the hell out of it every day and it never blinked. This was 2 years of continuous use. I was so impressed I bought one myself and am enjoying it. It's less than $500 too.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
cornemuse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

Gonna get what you pay for, , , ,

I have a HT Powermax 45. its awsome
TA Arcmaster 185 Tig awesome
Lincoln 180 Dual mig/flux core good, no, awesome too.

(I have more money than good sense I think)
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

How about this guy?

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Lincoln-Electric-120-Volt-12...r/3554858=

Also I have a 33 gallon husky air compressor. Will this be enough?
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

So now I am between the Miller 375 for $1300 or the Lincoln for $1k. I really only wanted to spend 700-800 so $1300 for the miller seems excessive but man does it look nice. Any other thoughts?

Lincoln
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200434920_200434920

Miller
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/miller-spect...aQodAbwKWA
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

Best thing about those choices is being able to get the consumables when you need them
cheers
Hank.
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

Well, I bought the miller. Cost more but bought locally in case there are issues in the future. Can't wait to try it!
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

good choice I sure like mine
cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
Well, I bought the miller. Cost more but bought locally in case there are issues in the future. Can't wait to try it!

Good choice, I have a Chicago Electric/Harbor frieght rig that was given to me years ago, finally got it fixed, works fine, you can tell it's NOT in the class of a Miller or Hypertherm, but for the $350 into it, I'll work w/ it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just put this ^^^^ welding/cutting table together, $66 for the top and the frame I built years ago for another project. I have a Millermatic 130 MIG welder I bought in '95, works fine for the stuff I do.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

I was thinking about a plasma cutter the other day.

I'll avoid the plasma/TIG combos.

My question is pros/cons of a build-in compressor model vs one that uses shop compressed air? I do have a pretty good sized air compressor in my garage.

I have a Hobart Handler welder and have been happy with it. When I bought it, I remember reading that the Hobarts were built by one of the other two big brands-I think Lincoln but don't remember for sure.

I'm thinking I'll stick with the Hobart brand as they are a little less expensive and consumables are easy for me to get in my town at the local farm stores.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
bt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of buying a plasma cutter...help!!! Reply with quote

I bought this plasma cutter about a year ago but it is still in the box as I have been too busy to play with my cars
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-plasma-cutter.html

I actual bought it as a set with this TIG welder.
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-tig-plasma-cart-kit.html?reltype=2&parent_id=5571

I live near Eastwood's store in Alsip IL. They have classes there and they will teach you to use their stuff. I have been very happy with their products.

Their products suit my needs as I am just a hobbyist.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: