Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Filler Extension
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbnjimages
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

I finished stuffing the Webers under the deck lid, short (95mm) intakes and 1 3/4" air filters got it to work. One problem that needs to be solved though is the new intakes don't have a vacuum tube for the trans modulator. I tried tapping off the vac advance on the passenger side Weber, but it doesn't shift into drive easily, so Im going to drill and tap in to the intake like the original.
Now that it is occasionally moving under it's own power it is time to address a major issue.
The oil filler extension from the filler cap to the filler tube is missing, and there is an expanding rubber line plug keeping the slippery stuff in the engine. I have no clue what the extension looks like, or how it connects. I've heard that the mid to late 70s buses use the same oil filler tube, does that include the extension? Am I missing something really easy here? It's difficult to search out something when I don't have the broken original to compare to, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in answering. Had to think about it a little.

I would say that putting the transmission modulator to a small chamber in the middle of a balance tube between both carb manifolds would give you much better transmission control.

There were several different modulators used on the automatic transmissions depending on carbs or fuel injection.

Vacuum is a "volume" thing. The fuel injected cars had comparatively huge manifold volume to make the vacuum signature not only strong but smooth.

As for the oil filler parts....here is what the 411 and 412 had

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see there were two different designs for the wagons. The lower one in the picture which is less complex appears (from the part number pages below) to have been used on the earliest 411 with V series engines.

The more complex one appears to have been used on later 411 and 412 and is more similar to bus. They also have 021 pre-fix part #'s.

What are you missing? Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbnjimages
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, once again your better-than-encyclopedic knowledge of these cars saved the day. I would have scrapped my wagon long ago had it not been for you. Now the hunt is on to find 021 115 655.

On the other issue, were you saying I should tee from both vac advances on the carbs to the trans modulator, or were you saying Id have to tap both manifolds to get sufficient vacuum?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to tap both manifods. On factory set ups I believe they used a tube between the two manifolds to a small box or resorvoir in the center of the engine. Your trans vacuum probably should go there. Let me check the books and see how the factory did it...or you can look at bus or type 3 carb set up. Same transmission.Ray
pbnjimages
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a NOS hose, thanks to your help Ray.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

Figure I'd camp on here since the diagram in this thread is relevant. I am now getting a large oil leak on the right hand side:

I'm 90% sure it is coming from the oil boot. (#37 in diagram shown earlier in this thread)

Here is a shot of it:

Aside from removing the very embarassing tie wrap, and trying to get the clip up and boot down further....I'm at a loss how to connect this leak-free. Any tips? The wet part of the engine appears to be the on the nut which holds the moustache bar to the engine mount.

Thanks
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

The problem might be in fact crankshaft seal behind the pulley. It leaks inside the fanhousing and the oil drips from the seam of the two halves of the housing.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

I'm almost positive the filler is the reason, but I can check again and send pics. I didn't see any oil coming from there.
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

Oh, and another place to check is the seal number 9 on the picture. Also check that small rubber gaiter at the lower end of the dip stick tube.
It gets easily cracked when the rubber gets old.
http://www.paruzzi.com/uk/baywindowbus/engine/oil-pumps-oil-fillers-dipsticks/41885/
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

If you are going t be removing trunking and sheet metal to change any of these seals/boots.....it would be a worthwhile time to change items like the crankshaft seal behind the fan and the fan belt.

Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

The rubber bellows for the dipstick is new fortunately. But #9 may also be the reason. I think it is the large boot for the filler. Are these replaceable? If so, do you know where?

I took more photos and can't seem to locate any leaks within the fan housing.

Its going to be a joy putting the boot back that was in front of the fan. Rolling Eyes
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that I found the main culprit of the oil leak: the small round inspection plate with the two 10mm bolts in it. These things are loosely coined taco plates. Dumb name in my opinion. Rolling Eyes

Since I lent my Transporter Shop Manual out, I don't recall the correct way to reseal and torque down. I seem to remember that it required two copper washers and a rubber O-Ring. Don't recall the torque value OR where to get the O-ring/washers. I'm thinking if someone would be kind enough to mic up a known fit for the O-ring, I could most likely pull one out of my VW gasket collection from rebuilds of past. As always, thanks and looking forward to feedback.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that I found the main culprit of the oil leak: the small round inspection plate with the two 10mm bolts in it. These things are loosely coined taco plates. Dumb name in my opinion. Rolling Eyes

Since I lent my Transporter Shop Manual out, I don't recall the correct way to reseal and torque down. I seem to remember that it required two copper washers and a rubber O-Ring. Don't recall the torque value OR where to get the O-ring/washers. I'm thinking if someone would be kind enough to mic up a known fit for the O-ring, I could most likely pull one out of my VW gasket collection from rebuilds of past. As always, thanks and looking forward to feedback.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

Any feedback on that little round plate? (how it seals) Thanks
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Any feedback on that little round plate? (how it seals) Thanks

I will try to get you measurements today. Its a simple o-ing but its a fat o-ring. Its red viton.

The copper crush washers are 6mm bolt ID. You should be able to find them at ace hardware...some of the better FLAPS....or they came in the gasket sets....pr in a pinch order from Fastenal or Mcmaster carr.

Nothing special with sealing
Remove plate.....drain oil first..... Wink .....remove o-ring, clean both surfaces....new o-ring, install plate...add screws with new washers and torque. I will find torque values as well.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

I'm determined to fix the oil leak this weekend. I've said it a few times, but am 90% sure that the leak is at the rear of the engine and coming from a combination of the oil filler boot/neck and the smaller round plate on bottom of case. I was able to obtain a new red rubber O-ring from a parts supplier in Canada; I'm having an issue finding the small 6mm copper crush washers. No luck at my two FLAPS or Sears hardware. If anyone has a lead on these ( or two to spare) I'd pay for their flight out here. Finally, if anyone knows what the torque specs for those 2 small bolts are. It would be appreciated.

Also, hooked up with a great VW guy and T4 enthusiast in Cali, and he has an NOS oil filler boot. (Number 37 in diagram). Looking forward to that project. Speaking of that diagram in this thread, does anyone know what item 26 is? Its listed as a rubber valve from the oil breather.

I'll keep everyone posted. This leak threw me off my mojo. I'm aggresively saving for a paint job, and want to make sure the engine is as sound as possible first.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Extension Reply with quote

Not sure qbout #s 26. Usually I find the washers iin a mixed package on the help aisle or near the oil filters at FLAPS.

They are in the gasket kit as was the red o-ring. It may pay just to get a gasket kit.

In a pinch....you can use most any copper or soft washer. You can get the exact washers at Mcmaster Carr.....bag of 50 6mm copper. Rush eashers for $11.70.....part #97725A100.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: