Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mk1 Rabbit knocking sound
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chevy432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Mk1 Rabbit knocking sound Reply with quote

Just started hearing the sound out of the blue. I started it up and it sounds like a knocking noise coming from the engine. Its relatively quiet at low speeds but the faster you go the faster and louder the knocking gets. Any ideas as where or what to check? thanks!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mk1 Rabbit knocking sound Reply with quote

Depending on the year of the car or if it has a later model engine in it, you might have a bad hydraulic lifter.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mk1 Rabbit knocking sound Reply with quote

Mains and rods.
Chevy432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk1 Rabbit knocking sound Reply with quote

Its a 1980 if that helps, anything i can do to fix it for the next while before i can take it to a mechanic?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk1 Rabbit knocking sound Reply with quote

Not really. Driving it may or may not make it any worse. I once drove a 1.7L motor 500+ miles with a rod knock and it didn't blowup, I can't remember if it got louder or not, but I also added some thicker oil to it to help cushion it.

I have seen knocks from lower end due to spun bearings and loose caps. Any work done on motor lately? Have you checked for exhaust leaks?
cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk1 Rabbit knocking sound Reply with quote

If it was sudden I would drive it as little as possible. Check oil pressure asap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: