Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MK1 changed strut cartridges, now rides high, looks ugly
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdub1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: MK1 changed strut cartridges, now rides high, looks ugly Reply with quote

So I changed the front strut cartridges on my 84 MK1 Rabbit 4 door and now the front looks like it rides high.

Thought I did it by the book but is it possible I did something wrong? Is there an inexpensive way to level out the ride height of my MK1?

I also replaced rear struts already so don't want to by a second set of new struts if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
J in Austin
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending upon what struts you put in, they could add a bit of height. Drive it and see if it settles some.
jdub1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: ride height settle Reply with quote

That is what I thought....I actually did the install about 4 months ago and figured it would maybe settle, but no luck.

Could I have got the wrong struts? Could I have re-installed the pieces wrong or something?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do just the struts? Or did you also do the upper strut mounts. What struts did you install, a high pressure gas charged one or not?
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put MK2 suspension in a MK1 it raises it up. Maybe you got the wrong front cartridges?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jdub1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: cartridges Reply with quote

I got them from Rock Auto so it's quite possible they are the wrong ones....there is some 'nose pressure' to the cartridges but I wouldn't have thought it was enough to change ride height.

No I have not changed the top mounts, but I do have new ones that I was going to install....maybe that is what it needs.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 changed strut cartridges, now rides high, looks ugly Reply with quote

kyb/monroe do that...
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 changed strut cartridges, now rides high, looks ugly Reply with quote

Strut cartridges raising the suspension?! I've never heard of such a thing. I did change all the strut cartridges and springs on my MK2 and it made the front a little higher. But I think that's because I got the "heavy duty"springs from Parts Place Inc.
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 changed strut cartridges, now rides high, looks ugly Reply with quote

maybe new parts in the rear suspension will even it out. IMO a little more lift is better, less chance of hitting things or getting stuck;

To me, it keeps resale value up. When I see a lowered car i just think something is wrong with it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 changed strut cartridges, now rides high, looks ugly Reply with quote

There were differences in spring perch height & spring lengths depending on year & where the car was built. Most of the aftermarket manufacturers don't recognize this or just don't care anymore. It sounds like your car had the taller springs/lower perch & the replacement struts have the higher perch.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 changed strut cartridges, now rides high, looks ugly Reply with quote

Never mind, I saw that you only replaced the inserts. Some "high pressure gas" shocks & struts effectively have their own spring rate, bilsteins will have a tendency to raise a car 1"-1.5".

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 changed strut cartridges, now rides high, looks ugly Reply with quote

Shock absorbers don't determine ride height though. If that were the case and these were too tall there would be issues noticed before they got on the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: