Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Canyonland" Split Windows, story?
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: "Canyonland" Split Windows, story? Reply with quote

Hi,

I saved these pictures from a Facebook group a while back and am now trying to get the full story behind these.

I can't find the group that I got these from and it seems impossible to find the original source of these pictures. A long search on the internet didn't give me any more info or pictures.

All I know is that someone commented on FB that these were used for canyon tours many years ago.

Does anyone know the full story or have more pictures?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the story other than they were used to tour the area of Moab, UT back in the day.

I have this postcard:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=950618

I believe they still own most or all of them but they are in storage as you showed above.

I heard they were for sale years ago but you had to buy all of them - a big investment
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Staels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I don't know the story other than they were used to tour the area of Moab, UT back in the day.

I have this postcard:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=950618

I believe they still own most or all of them but they are in storage as you showed above.

I heard they were for sale years ago but you had to buy all of them - a big investment

Awesome! Thanks for the picture!
That would be a big investment, but probably not a bad one if you have the cash.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing those in Moab back in the early 80's, I think they were still occasional service then. The plates were up to date anyway (I checked them over pretty close). I was/am a big Edward Abbey fan which lead me to the area before it got overrun with..whatever. They were rust free but lots of little dings/heavy wear. Amazing they have not hit the market.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Canyonland" Split Windows, story? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that if you do a site search for Moab or Canyonlands you will find lots of information/sittings of them here.

My wife and I did our honeymoon in the area back in... 1992 in search of Anasazi cliff dwellings. There was a bus parked out front of their storefront back then. I had known to look for them too so their were well known. Thee was also a guy just outside of Moab who had a VW only yard too.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: