Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MK1 Golf (Rabbit) Project!
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mawman2025
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: MK1 Golf (Rabbit) Project! Reply with quote

I bought a MK1 Rabbit under the impression everything was there and it just need put back together. As many of you probably know that is far from the case here. The engine is where all the issues are. It is an ABA 2.0 block with a 1.8 8 valve head with an OBX cam and cam gear and an OBX header. The person that built this motor cannot be tracked down and it is still running the CIS mechanical fuel injection. My question is regarding the Warm Up Regulator and if I need that or if it is possible to substitute something in its place that might be easier to work with or if I could just delete that part all together. Any and all replies are much appreciated.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 Golf (Rabbit) Project! Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you need it, and you could only substitute it with one from a Volvo turbo car if, you were to go FI. That part is one of the main reasons I went EFI on my Rabbit years ago. (MegaSquirt) I got tired of the hard starts and buying a rebuilt one was costly then, not even sure you can find them now. You might check some of the local yards for one.

Put an ABA head on it and I'll sell you my ported mkIV intake manifold.
mawman2025
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 Golf (Rabbit) Project! Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you need it, and you could only substitute it with one from a Volvo turbo car if, you were to go FI. That part is one of the main reasons I went EFI on my Rabbit years ago. (MegaSquirt) I got tired of the hard starts and buying a rebuilt one was costly then, not even sure you can find them now. You might check some of the local yards for one.

Put an ABA head on it and I'll sell you my ported mkIV intake manifold.

I bought one but I'm having to CNC machine an adapter plate for it and I'm getting tired of messing with it. If I was going to swap heads I would go with a 1.8 16 valve head and do an ABF replica and possibly turbo it but that's just my imagination talking. I wouldn't be able to afford that.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 Golf (Rabbit) Project! Reply with quote

That piece should be available on any CIS motor at a yard. But, since you have an ABA block, not the same thing.
mawman2025
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 Golf (Rabbit) Project! Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
That piece should be available on any CIS motor at a yard. But, since you have an ABA block, not the same thing.

I'm getting a custom CNC adapter plate made so I can mount the WUR.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 Golf (Rabbit) Project! Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd lose the CIS and go efi, cause in the long run,it'll be easier to tune, and keep running. There are no parts for the fuel distributors, other than another fuel dist. And depending upon how, where and for how long the system has been down/apart, things get gummed up and seals deteriorate. Then you need to find another working one...
mawman2025
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 Golf (Rabbit) Project! Reply with quote

I've considered going with a standalone but I don't know what injectors would fit in the head I have or where to find that information so at the moment it would be easier for me to get the WUR mounted and hope it fires up.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 Golf (Rabbit) Project! Reply with quote

For the counter-flow head, digi injectors and fuel rail, if you back to the ABA (cross-flow) head, The injectors and rail for the intake mani you use.

I do know that there might be an issue for the cups and fuel rail mounts depending upon the year of manufacture of the counter-flow head, as the early ones didn't have the boss drilled and tapped for the mounts and I think there might be two diff thread pitches/sizes for the cups.

Other than that, it would be pretty easy to setup. Easier with the ABA head, as the manifold I have also includes injectors, fuel rail, valve cover and oil fill/breather cap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: