Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 914 help
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: 1973 914 help Reply with quote

I was contacted by a guy who has a 73 914 that he is thinking about selling. I know VWs but nothing about Porsche. What is the trouble areas of the car? He said it is a Cali car with 0 rust. Its had 1 repaint in the past. He said it has a type 4 1.7 FI in it. Here are some pics. Please if I could get a value of what I should pay and anything that might not look correct would be greatly appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 914 help Reply with quote

The major areas are
The hell hole - look way down below the battery.
same location on the other side but not as often
rear wheel well front part up under the rocker plate
water can leak in through the rear window and get behind the sound deadner pad - slide seats forward and examine all around by the firewall and the seat rails
Same thing on the motor side of the firewall. water gets behind the pad
bottom corners of the front windshield
inside rear trunk
Replacing rubber is expensive and there is a ton of it.
Heater boxes tend to rust
You know just like anything built by Karmann
My 72 bus has better brakes but they can be upgraded.
On the bright side 914s are my favorite car EVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 914 help Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I think he said the brakes are all disk
57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 914 help Reply with quote

914s are four wheel disc brakes. They are off of either a type one or type three. Woefully under breaked. That was their major weakness from the factory. But they are so fun to drive.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 914 help Reply with quote

actually the 914 brakes are very good, no complaints at all. The car stops quick with good condition factory parts and fresh fluid but racing pads help a lot (Porterfeld).

anyway if the car is truly rust free and accident free, and if she runs great, needs nothing, a 1.7 could be worth near 10K. however there are very few cars like that.

I see some things that can deduct, the paint is over the chrome parts, That may point to a poor repaint (too lazy to remove the chrome?) or simply poor taste?

Aftermarket carpet in trunk is not my idea of an upgrade, too each their own, however make sure it is not concealing damage. Not a fan of aftermarket mirrors, nor the speaker in the console.

on the plus side it looks good from far, cant see up close form a photo, the bumper rubber looks ok, don't see tears, how is the rubber top seal? it will set you back a couple c notes if the top seals are torn or shrunk.

givin the car as seen in the photo it is not a 10K car, if truly rust free and accident free It might be worth 5-7 grand. Of course market area counts, I am in greater san jose calif area.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 914 help Reply with quote

The brakes on the 914 are excellent for virtually anything but track use.

They are not from either a type 1 or a type 3. The front calipers of the 914 to August 1972...yes they will fit type 3 cars from August 1972 and on.....actually came from the vw411 to August of 1972.....and 914s from August 1972 and on.....the caliper and rotor was carried directly over from the VW412.

The only improved parts on the brake system that a 914 requires for anything outside of track use......is the 19mm master cylinder instead of the stock 17mm....and better pads. The calipers were pretty damn good. Ray
fteixeira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 914 help Reply with quote

Is that Alaska Blue? One of the best 914 colors, in my opinion.

Late to the party, but I want to emphasize the firewall inside the cockpit. Water seepage from the rear window is common. My last 914 had this problem. Make sure to poke around where the floor meets the firewall. Note that the tar resin (if still there) can hind the damage.

Would also check any deterioration of the fuel system lines, vacuum lines and electric wiring. These items get crispy with age. A little work needed to fix, may may give you a negotiation point.

fteixeira
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: