Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just when I think I've seen it all. . .
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

This comes in. . .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a "push trailer' built out of a 70s Beetle. What is a pusher trailer you ask?? It's f*ckin' scary that's what, but more on that later. It's used to push an all electric vehicle down the road allowing it to (a) not use battery power (think redneck hybrid) and (b) when on cruise control, the regenerative brakes charge-up the vehicle as you are pushed.

The reason i say it's f*ckin' scary is because you have a VW motor and trans (in 4th gear) held at WOT behind you with no dead-man switch. To stop the car, you have to now brake not only the car you are pushing, but also against a motor at WOT. It's a ready-made law suit on wheels.

Just buy a hybrid if you must. . .

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

Darwin award winner. How does it "push" when going into a corner? That's just a PITT maneuver... won't be long before he hits your evening news about killing himself and/or someone else with it. Don't you have DMV regulations out there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

WTF? Shocked Stay far, far away from that rig.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

Scary for me cause it's in my neck of the woods!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:

What is a pusher trailer you ask?? It's used to push an all electric vehicle down the road allowing it to (a) not use battery power (think redneck hybrid) and (b) when on cruise control, the regenerative brakes charge-up the vehicle as you are pushed.

The reason i say it's f*ckin' scary is because you have a VW motor and trans (in 4th gear) held at WOT behind you with no dead-man switch. To stop the car, you have to now brake not only the car you are pushing, but also against a motor at WOT. It's a ready-made law suit on wheels.

Just buy a hybrid if you must. . .

First, wouldn't the weight of pulling the trailer drag down the batteries (thereby defeating the purpose)
And how is the transition from battery-powered to trailer-powered accomplished? Manually (like stop, get out, start the trailer)?
What happens at stop signs? How does the trailer get to 4th gear, WOT, from the driver's seat?

Lastly, what does the owner want you to do to it? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

I think Nate should strap it to the back of the Squarsh. May help with the top end, or a good starter pusher. Add a quick disconnect when you get up to speed. Rolling Eyes
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

put a 6 kw generator on a trailer, AC to the charging point, same end result.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

A pusher trailer usually is not set with a wired throttle. Most of then have a cruise control system set up in the pushed vehicle, so they hold a speed and cut off if the driver brakes.

I think they are still a bit unsafe because being pushed through a trailer hitch is less than stable, but I didn't want to leave out the idea that they where without control.

At the front end (EV side) if the vehicle is in neutral it will just coast. If it is an EV with regen braking (most every factory EV, but few home built EVs) then leaving it in "drive" will result in coasting level regen and braking will provide regen based on the EVs designed hydraulic regenn split.
Miked914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

This guys been doing this for years, EV944 + VW Rabbit Pusher
'73 TinTop Westy
'13 VW Sportwagon TDI
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

Miked914 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articulated_bus#/media/File:2009_60%27_New_Flyer_DE60LFR_Hybrid.JPG

Articulated city busses have the engine in the rear(trailer), which is what we are seeing here.
But the idea of not having any control of that engine is what scares me.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

[quote="Air-Cooled Head"]
Nate M. wrote:

And how is the transition from battery-powered to trailer-powered accomplished? Manually (like stop, get out, start the trailer)?
What happens at stop signs? How does the trailer get to 4th gear, WOT, from the driver's seat?

Lastly, what does the owner want you to do to it? Laughing

I would say he puts an alligator clip to the coil and pull starts it till he gets pushed, the hope for good brakes to stop it when all hell brakes loose.

That is effin scary even for my nerves!
Daftendirekte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

Zombie thread!

So, actually dude does have control of the coil, or did in late 2017 when I encountered this outfit in Los Angeles.

It's light-activated. You notice the 4-pin trailer wiring harness? SO when it gets current, two things happen. One, the coil on the engine gets it's power. I don't recall it being on a separate circuit, though in hindsight seems like pulling coil-driving current out of a circuit fused for lights seems not quite right.

The second thing is an air brake solenoid that works on the clutch arm, which bump starts the engine in 4th gear.

As he described it, it's for freeway cruising only and he DOES have control over the engine running via his light switch.

ach60 wrote:
Miked914 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articulated_bus#/media/File:2009_60%27_New_Flyer_DE60LFR_Hybrid.JPG

Articulated city busses have the engine in the rear(trailer), which is what we are seeing here.
But the idea of not having any control of that engine is what scares me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

Cool concept! Especially for a VW Bus in the mountain passes. As for it not being legal... I highly doubt any laws have ever been invented that cover that one!

Anyone who thinks it was built and used without any control from the tow vehicle is not firing on all cylinders mentally. You could not even get out of the driveway with it rigged like that!

I can see this working pretty well with an auto stick or better yet a fully automatic transaxle.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

Back in 1975. My father’s wrecker jumped the timing chain while at the track. We pushed the wrecker with the stock car racecar in tow. The racecar did the pushing. And somehow me at 9 years old was sitting on the floor of the loud racecar, while my teenage neighbor worked the gas. It got us to my uncle’s, who lived a lot closer to the track than we did.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

Got a Prius already. I want one of those.

Hold my beer and watch this!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
Got a Prius already. I want one of those.

Hold my beer and watch this!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

A couple years ago a stumbled across a group or forum that did this. Just by the shear quantity of pictures it must have been on Facebook.
But the was a lot of chat about set up, what car the use, ect, building a pusher.
Search for it if you are interested. It seemed as if pushing was common knowledge.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Just when I think I've seen it all. . . Reply with quote

Pardon my lack of imagination, but how the heck does that thing go anywhere without turning into a giant tank-slapper?

It reminds me of trying to drive backwards with a trailer hooked up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: