Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'67 912 - Grinding from 2nd to 3rd
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brookmp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: '67 912 - Grinding from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

Hello,

1967 912. At times, when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, I experience intermittent grinding and the inability to get it into gear. Sometimes it goes from 2nd to 3rd smoothly, other times, it grinds loudly and won't go into gear at all.

In addition, recently I noticed (before the griding issues began) it was becoming difficult to find 3rd gear. No grinding, but just hard to find, similar to when the bushing comes off the shift rod on a beetle. Do the 912's come with a shifter bushing that can wear out, or fall off in the tunnel? Could a sloppy shift handle contribute to the (now) grinding and difficultly getting it into 3rd?

No other apparent problems in other gears to report.

Am I looking at a clutch issue? Transmission issue?

Thanks for any input.

Brook
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 912 - Grinding from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

Check the plastic guts in the shifter ball and base where it sits in the shift rod and also inspect the shift rod bushing. Also check the bushings in the shift coupler. Once you confirm all those are OK or renewed, then make sure to follow the procedure for adjusting the shifter.
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brookmp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 912 - Grinding from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Could the shifter cause the grinding, etc., if the bushings are bad? Is this what you are suggesting?

I'll check those out. Thank you.

Brook
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 912 - Grinding from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

Worn bushings and a misadjusted shifter will most definitely cause a grinding issue. I went through this on my 911 not too long ago. Replaced the bushings and adjusted the shifter and my 1-2/2-1 shifts improved dramatically. The main culprit in my case was a shifter that wasn't adjusted to spec.
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brookmp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 912 - Grinding from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

This is VERY helpful. We also have a '68 Bay Window Bus and the shifter is slightly misaligned (on my list to fix) and from time to time, it's also difficult to find 3rd gear, but it does not grind, like the 912 does.

I'll start with the bushings and hopefully that will sort things out.

Many thanks,

Brook
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 912 - Grinding from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

As already said, most likely worn bushings or misadjustment.

My car would grind when the clutch was worn. I would start with bushings and adjustments.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: