Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil filler
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: oil filler Reply with quote

Hi. I saw that the oil filler is different from A-B model to C. First type is smaller with a tube going down, later model is bigger with a screw cap.
when was introduced the second type? I have a C matching engine with the first type filler.... anyone else has this on a C?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filler Reply with quote

The oil filler was changed to the screw cap type late '62 for use on the so called "European heater" fresh air system ONLY, for use in Germany and a few other countries. This modification was needed for clearance issues to the snorkel that the paper heater hose attached to. ROW heater system cars retained the flip top filler. The earliest examples of the screw type had a small opening port at the base where it attached to generator stand, both filler types using the same stand. This taller breather tank was prone to cracking at the base, more so than the flip top. Some time in '63, the stand for the screw type was changed to a larger opening, as was the filler tank (they still cracked!) Both of these screw types used a rubber road draft tube, with a "U" shaped clip attached to the snorkel for additional support of the rubber tube. A special dip stick shroud was used to accommodate the tube. Some exceptions were made. ROW continued to use the flip top type. For the "C" model, ALL cars received the screw cap, with the breather now attached to the right air cleaner for emission control. It's likely that yours was changed at some point, perhaps due to the cracking (= oil leak) issue.
I hope this helps.
ozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: oil filler Reply with quote

Thank you very interesting.
on functionality bigger was better? I have the zenith... the breather hose i saw it only to solex air filters... did they connect to zenith as well?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: oil filler Reply with quote

I have both types on my 356's. I personally like the flip up type better but they're pretty much the same. I have the breather hose going to the carburetor on my C which has Zenith carbs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: