Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frame repair
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Frame repair Reply with quote

Hello. I'm new to 356s. Need some assistance on frame repair. I have a '62 with some major rust. 1st question is around rear frame panels from stoddards. What exact area do these cover? Here is s link to sections.
http://www.stoddard.com/64450108506-nla.html

2nd questions is around main longitudinals. Is there a repair panel? I've seen the under longitudinals panel and the inner rocker panel, but is there a "main panel" available aftermarket? here is a pic of my car
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame repair Reply with quote

Wow that is some rust you have there. Some other suppliers of panels are Restoration Design & Zims Porsche parts. Even the repro panels may need some rework to fit correctly & some stuff needs to be made as is can't be bought.
Hopefully someone will help you here but you can find lots of pics & info in the restoration section of the below link. Lots of projects going on with the same types of repairs you are asking about. Very detailed photos & advice.

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects.html
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame repair Reply with quote

It's honestly pretty bad. The passenger side has some integrity but the drivers is completely gone back toward torsion. It can barely support its own weight.

I'm trying to decide if it's fixable. If not, I'm thinking about putting a tube frame under it.
'63 "milo" beetle
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Frame repair Reply with quote

Everything is fixable but you need the time & patience to do it or if you have a ton of money to throw at it you can send it to someone to do it for you.

How complete was the car when you got it? If it was complete it may be worth it to restore it to original as will bring you the best price for resale. If you just want to use it & have fun then do what it takes to get it on the road.

Here is a 356 being built with a tube frame.
http://www.abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--Modified-356/16-1958-356A-TURBO-Coupe.html
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame repair Reply with quote

hi, MMW. it was a bone clean shell. every part able to be removed was. not looking to restore just want to make it a fun (road worthy) car as you mentioned.

was struggling with adding a tube frame and taking away from "value" as a true Porsche.

I like that ad. I ran across it while searching. Would be great to get some type of a template to make that tube frame from.
'63 "milo" beetle
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame repair Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need some help for frame repair panels. above is my car.

how do I find out where these parts fit?
http://www.stoddard.com/64450108505-nla.html
'63 "milo" beetle
Unobtanium-inc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame repair Reply with quote

For some inspiration check out this thread:
http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35582

I sold him the car, he dove in head first, does one section at a time proving even the roughest cars can be done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame repair Reply with quote

What I would like to see regarding any year of 356 is measurements to assemble any car from multiple sections. Make one car from a few pieces.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame repair Reply with quote

Mr White, the Porsche Workshop Manuals have dimensional drawings in them in Section B "Repairs and Inspection" that give most of the dimensions you would need. At least the 1954 and 1956 versions do. I suspect the later ones do as well.
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Frame repair Reply with quote

The last 356A factory manual does have the drawing measurements for T2 cars. I looked at your photo's and link versions. Mic is correct the abcgt forum and Justin's restorations are the ones to look at. But.... while nearly everything is possible these days and a completed running 356 is great, that repair work is more than the normal guy would normally attempt or, it looks that way to me.

If you have access to everything needed tool wise, as well as cash wise and you have estimated the sort of time to do it factor, and you have the working experience to proceed then, it could then become your ambition to transform it. But remember repair panels do not always just fit in place, you really need a rotissorie to mount it on and those torsion bar area datums look pretty rusty to me...

Really, the best of luck if you proceed. its easy to say ' you can do it ' when its so important to think carefully first' can I do it!'

Roy

Roy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: