Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Tire Size on a Volksrod
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xsloppyjoex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Front Tire Size on a Volksrod Reply with quote

I am currently building a volksrod and I really want to run large tires on the front end. I want them to be close to the size of the rear tires. I am planning on running 30" tires on the rear. My question is, am I going to snap the front end off my car with all that extra load on the beam? Or is the beam going to be able to handle that size of tire? I have only seen one other car that had fairly large tires on the front. I believe he was running 20" wheels up front so that would be around 26" or 28" tires with the size of tires he had. I am going to run a beam extender and will use an obscene amount of bracing to help aid in support. Also, as this is my first post, hello ans thanks in advance.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Front Tire Size on a Volksrod Reply with quote

The diameter shouldn't be an issue. What will be an issue is weight. It will cause parts to wear faster and make steering harder, not impossible but harder. As long as your steering box is tight and the ball joints or king pins are good you shouldn't have any problems. I have know quite a few guy who ran 31 x 10.50 on Baja bugs and only had problems when the stupid exceeded the limits of the equipment.
xsloppyjoex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Tire Size on a Volksrod Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I am thinking about running a rack and pinion, so hopefully that will help a bit.
mtnroads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Tire Size on a Volksrod Reply with quote

here are a couple of pics of the 7.00x15 tires for the front of my burro
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

shown next to 13x10.50 and 30x9.50 tires. about 29.5'tall
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: