Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Iltis owners in the U.S.
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79iltis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Iltis owners in the U.S. Reply with quote

Hello all,

I was curious as to how many iltis owners there are in the U.S. If you own an iltis and reside in the U.S., it would be great to hear back from you. It would also be great to know where you are getting your parts from and what you think of your iltis, IE: performance, reliability, etc...

Thanks again! 79iltis
ditchdigger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think iltis' are legal for importation for another few years. I would LOVE to have one though.
roo782
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have one also. I was looking on the internet for info on them, there is a website (based in CA), that you can buy Iltis's from: http://www.iltis.us/

Roo
pvwacko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: NorCal based 79 German Iltis Reply with quote

I own a 79 german army Iltis in sacramento. It's got all it's papers and I've had it licenced in colorado and utah. When I get back from australia I'm going to get it smogged and on the road in cali. What would you like to know about them? I have some pictures of mine posted on the samba. If you search the gallery for Iltis mine is the white one. A great place for info and connections to parts and vehicles is a yahoo groop for the iltis that covers the world over. They are the best resource for info when I need to figure something out. Keep in mind that the canadian army still has the iltis in active service so the availability of parts isn't bad as long as you are willing to pay the price and the shipping.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick Christensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a '79 Iltis. I brought mine in from Germany. It had originally served in the Red Cross, then served in mountain rescue prior to coming to me in Beaverton, Oregon.

I am fortunate that mine is in great condition and completely original, so I haven't needed parts yet.

Had no problems bringing it into the US except that it failed the Agriculture inspection because of soil in the undercarriage, so I had to have it pressure washed prior to release.
'65 Vespa VBB
'48 Aeronca Sedan 4 passenger airplane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Christensen wrote:
Had no problems bringing it into the US except that it failed the Agriculture inspection because of soil in the undercarriage, so I had to have it pressure washed prior to release.

Very interesting story.
pvwacko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: pictures? Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures of your iltis online? How often do you get out with yours? I'd love to meet some other owners and do a trail run overnight or something. I'm getting a Canadian M101 trailer to tow behind so I'll have more room for trips into the wilderness.

Cheers, Paul
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGTSV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did you guys spend on your Iltis? I have been thinking about selling The Unimog and looking into them
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.iltis.us/intransit.htm
Rick Christensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just after picking up from the port in Tacoma, Washington

relaxing at home with the top down.

Purchased for around $11,500 US, then shipped from Germany for a little under $2,000.

Have since redone exhaust and brake job and need to replace plastic windows. Otherwise has been great.

Check out www.northwestunimog.com site. I attended this past summer with my doublecab Syncro, but will be back next year with my Iltis and perhaps my new '43 Kubelwagen. I'm sure this is more of a drive than you planned, but is a great place to meet up with other German off road enthusiasts and the location is fantastic.
'65 Vespa VBB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the Iltis, finally spotted my 1st one in person last week in southern Quebec, at a shop in St. Jean sur Richelieu..........

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Rick Christensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very interested in purchasing a hard top for my Iltis. Anyone else had any luck finding one?
'65 Vespa VBB
Type181mr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Iltis owners in the U.S. Reply with quote

I saw one listed at Iltisarsenal in Germany. Based on the MB Suv.

Cheers,
Rick Christensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Iltis owners in the U.S. Reply with quote

Wow - thank you for a response after so many years.
Unfortunately, mine is up for sale (see in classified). Just was not driving it enough to keep it. But if it doesn't sell, I will check out the hard top

Thank you again for the info.
'65 Vespa VBB
falldownjaeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Iltis owners in the U.S. Reply with quote

1984 Bombardier Iltis, former RCR from Petawawa, kitted out as ISAF Command & Recce Iltis w/C6 FN MAG58 7.62 GPMG.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Iltis owners in the U.S. Reply with quote

Neat!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: