Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replaced motor, now new battery acts dead?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motivatedfather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Replaced motor, now new battery acts dead? Reply with quote

Hello all! my motor died in my 71 westy, so I replaced it with a 2180cc. I figured that it would be a simple swap of take the old one out & put the new one in... but upon trying to start it, the motor turns VERY slowly as if the battery is nearly dead. I thought that may be the case so I replaced the battery, same issue. What could I be missing? New 009 disb, electronic ignition, dual 40 webers, same coil from the previously running motor. Any and all help would be appreciated!
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a couple questions that could aid the diagnosis. not necessarily the right questions but could help us help you
1.Does the starter sit flush with the bell housing? It could be wedged in there funny and not be rotating right...or maybe it needs a new bushing.
2.Did the previous engine turn fine?
3.Have you tried turning the engine over without sparkplugs in it?

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you try to start it, how hot does the battery get?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground cable any good still?
PA safety and emissions inspector
General Motors guru
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a brand new engine? Perhaps the starter is not up to turning a tight new higher displacement engine with a perhaps higher CR. Clean and tighten all connections and the tranny ground strap and try again. May be time for a new/ rebuilt starter for the new/ rebuilt engine. Or maybe the good clean connection will solve it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
RunningRough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Is this a brand new engine? Perhaps the starter is not up to turning a tight new higher displacement engine with a perhaps higher CR.

This was my first thought as well. What if you removed a couple or all of your spark plugs and try turning the engine over? Does it crank well like that?

Very first thing to do though is go through all of your connections at the starter solenoid, battery and ground straps.
Solex 34 PICT-3
Flame Thrower Dist, Vacuum Advance

1982 Vanagon Diesel L
Diesel engine replaced with 1984 VW Golf engine
merlinj79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, verify the engine turns freely w/ spark plugs out. I would do this before do anything else just in case the motor has issues. By freely I mean, you should be able to turn it with a wrench on the alternator nut but it might be stiff if it's a fresh rebuild.

Then check the starter mounting/alignment and all the wires/ground strap.

I'm assuming the starter came with the engine?

A 2100 would be harder to turn than a 1600, so you may just need to refresh the starting system wires or install a hot-start relay.
CA Smog Stuff
Motivatedfather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are awesome. I'll check those things and report back. The starter was old and this rebuilt motor is much more difficult to turn than the tired 1600, but it does turn freely.
Motivatedfather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. checked & cleaned the ground strap & connections.
2. Bought a starter from FLAPS & installed

I bench tested the starter & it spins, but does not push the spindle part forwards. Going to take it back...

In the meantime, I hooked back up the other starter & now my key doesnt do anything! I guess I must have damaged a wire along the way?
merlinj79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motivatedfather wrote:

I bench tested the starter & it spins, but does not push the spindle part forwards. Going to take it back...

That's odd. IIRC the starter should not spin at all until AFTER the solenoid pushes the spindle out to engage the flywheel. Sure you hooked it up right?

Motivatedfather wrote:

In the meantime, I hooked back up the other starter & now my key doesnt do anything! I guess I must have damaged a wire along the way?

More likely you hooked something up wrong or forgot to tighten something. Although if the ground strap is really corroded moving it might have broken it, with only corrosion holding it together.
CA Smog Stuff
Motivatedfather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cleaned the crud off of the ground strap with a brush & that is still all good. I hooked everything back up how it was. There are 3 wires on the positive post of the starter, one yellowish wire that was on a small post towards the road and a black one on the small post facing upwards if that makes sense.

To test the new starter, I hooked it up to battery cables & then used a screwdriver to trip the solenoid.
Motivatedfather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should also add that it does have a hot start relay, I kept everything as is. Does anyone have a diagram of how things go without a hot start relay? Should I remove that?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you have an auto starter that has a nose and bearing on it to hold the spindle do not spin it out of the bell housing because you will damage it.

The solution to your problems lies in first making sure you can turn the engine by hand. With the plugs out and in neutral you should be able to turn the engine by hand with some stiffness but not unbearable.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, once you get it spinning, I would recommend following the engine break-in procedure in Tom Wilson's book. It's a bit counter-intuitive at first (at least it was for me) but I trust him. Run it some with no spark to get the oil running all around, then add spark and run the engine at high RPM for some 20 minutes. Shocked Worth the read...

Does anyone else here recognize this distinction: ?

motor: a device that turns electrical potential into mechanical energy (like a starter motor)

engine: a device that turns chemical potential (e.g. gasoline) into mechanical energy (like an internal combustion engine)

Perhaps I am being pedantic again... Confused
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71 wiring diagram
Motivatedfather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update: I took back the defective starter & replaced. Now the key works again & the starter "tries" to start the motor but same results. I'm charging the battery now. Maybe an, even new, starter isnt powerful enough to turn the motor with the higher compression ratio? The motor will spin by hand without plugs. Also, I replaced the cable from the negative battery post to the starter.
Motivatedfather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*engine, not motor... haha Wink
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motivatedfather wrote:
update: I took back the defective starter & replaced. Now the key works again & the starter "tries" to start the motor but same results. I'm charging the battery now. Maybe an, even new, starter isnt powerful enough to turn the motor with the higher compression ratio? The motor will spin by hand without plugs. Also, I replaced the cable from the negative battery post to the starter.

unless you are at 13:1 or 14:1 a little more compression won't stop the starter.

Hope you find the problem. Until you remove the plugs and test turning it by hand and a wrench you may be destroying your hard work. The engine should not fail with two new starters and two new batteries.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who did you buy the engine from?
If you have a compression tester. Do a compression test and post the numbers.
It may take a couple of batteries to get it fired up.
Only crank for about 4 seconds and wait a 1.5 minutes in between. To let the starter cool down.
As posted pull the plugs and crank it until the oil goes out. This also builds fuel pressure if you have a mechanical fuel pump.
A couple of tea spoons of gas down the carbs will help also.

Good Luck

Last edited by Tcash on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
merlinj79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

motor: a device that turns electrical potential into mechanical energy (like a starter motor)

engine: a device that turns chemical potential (e.g. gasoline) into mechanical energy (like an internal combustion engine)

Not quite right, technically...

Motor: Converts energy (of any sort) into motion. Usually refers to electric motors.

Engine: Converts thermal energy into motion. Could be steam, gasoline, etc.

I'm not particular and use them interchangeably when talking cars, which is technically OK since an engine is really a special case of motor.
CA Smog Stuff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: