Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importing from the USA to the UK? Look here for info how to
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different set up in the epublic of ireland as I said.

I imported from the states ti Ireland, but as I had been living in seattle for a few years it was considered a 'change of residence' i.e I didn't have to pay any import duty.

Because the vehicle was(is) over 25 years old, the irish vehicle licencing people just wanted EUR50 from me for processing, very cheap.

Bu I may be importing it to the uk later this year, I'm not sure of all the costs involved in the UK.

I recommend a search of the DVLA website,
locke999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: importing Reply with quote

hi

milatary pesonal can do most anything(importing)to uk or to us.

one can drive a car in the uk/eu/us for a year without plates then!!!

u have to get insurance to be on the safe side.

if one is a tourist u can drive in us or uk without duty.

hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
matt_vw_split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone....

I am looking to import a 21/23 window bus from the US to UK to replace my beloved 65 panel which i sold last year. I dont know anything about importing such vehicle other than reading the posts on here, i was just wondering if anyone knows of any useful websites, links or contact numbers to start my search going.....

The condition of the vehicle is not a concern as im prepared to take out a full resto, but ideally a limited amount of welding would be awsome!!

Looking forward in hearing from you guys very soon

Best wishes
Matt
Golden Chariots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Day All,

For some time now we have been receiving a lot of enquiries from this site and today I contact Everett Barnes the Webmaster to ask his permission to post about how we can help.

Essentially we can move any vehicle from the USA, whether it be a 10 seater helicopter, power boat racer, Ferrari or even a VW... Laughing

We can offer a full service from paying for the Vehicle (With your money of course Laughing Laughing ) to collecting the vehicle from the seller, customs clearing in the US, Shipping to the UK, Customs Clearance in the UK and delivery to your home.

Please remember though if the vehicle is a non runner then it cannot ship Roll On Roll Off, it can only ship containerised.

Be careful though as shipping Containerised from Long Beach on the West Coast is very expensive, whereas shipping from Houston in Texas is good, if it is a runner, then ship it RoRo but you can't have any parts in the vehicle.

Have a look at our site for more detailed info http://www.goldenchariotsinternational.com

As Everett has been so kind, we will offer a £25 discount to any member who quotes this site.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

John
collytwin2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: help costs Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me basically what it would cost roughly
to import a bus to the uk. would it cost the much more to import two
if a few people got together would it not make sense to import more than one to save money

thanx peter
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RO/RO is about $1100 to $1400. importation tax depends on the value of the vehicle. there are also port charges.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: importing a pop top Reply with quote

hi All,

Interesting Thread.

Wondering how I would import a westy roof from the US (for a vanagon) and how much it would cost - anyone have any rough ideas?

thanks,

Sam
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried to import a van to the UK as a non-resident? I'm thinking of sending my van across the pond next year, then flying over to pick it up and spend 6 months - year driving around Europe.
blitz18qb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: San Francisco/Oakland shipping company? Reply with quote

Hi was wondering if anyone could recommend a shipping company based around the San Francisco/Sacramento area?

I have a bus currently in that area and would like to ship it back to the UK.

Just looking for a roll on/roll off operator and will collect from UK port. Either Southampton/Liverpool etc...

any help appreciated.
huggiebear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: California shipping Co Reply with quote

Try California connection, they have a base in Ramona,Ca I think and another in Derby.

I used them last year and it was a cheap, hassle free, top notch service.
conhari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Title details. Are they correct? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have bought a bus that's in California. The seller has sent me a copy of the title, in his name. The plate shown on the bus is different from that on the title! Should I be worried? Also the "registration expiry date" has long since past. Anyone know what I should look for and check?
switch3sixty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as the chassis number is the same you'll be fine dude. He might've just changed the plates from private ones or some ppl keep the original black/yellow plates and has just bought newer ones.

When you fill in the uk customs forms, a 386, you don't need to out the reg or engine number on if you can't be arsed, just the chassis number Smile

75 911 targa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsr197042
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: usa to uk Reply with quote

ive looked into VAT and if the bus is over 30 years old and origianl engine and no mods to steering i can apply for 5% vat is this correct, if so how would they do all the checks on the vw to tell??
newwaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from the USA to the UK? Look here for info how to Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Didn't know whether to start a new topic or not, but here it goes!
My question applies to the UK, I have an oval window beetle project which was bought in to the country from the US near on 20 years ago! (not by myself) The car came only with the customs and excise slip which has the year and chassis number on it. The big question is - when its ready to drive how do you go about getting it registered with an age related plate? I heard the rules may have changed in 2013? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: