Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New additions to the Sticky/FAQS topics needed
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: New additions to the Sticky/FAQS topics needed Reply with quote

If you know of any topics that should be included in the Sticky/FAQS topics at the top of each forum, please tell that forum's moderator so it can be reviewed and included.

Please provide the topic's link and any additional info you think is important.

Many times the same questions get asked over and over and over again and being able to point someone to an existing topic will help reduce clutter on the site. It also saves members from searching and jumping from topic to topic to get the info. it's "one stop shopping".

The Samba is only as good as we make it and we all need to help in making it better.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: New additions to the Sticky/FAQS topics needed Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Many times the same questions get asked over and over and over again and being able to point someone to an existing topic will help reduce clutter on the site. .

Only works if you refer posters to it instead of adding to the clutter of beat up topics Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New additions to the Sticky/FAQS topics needed Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
If you know of any topics that should be included in the Sticky/FAQS topics at the top of each forum, please tell that forum's moderator so it can be reviewed and included.

Many times the same questions get asked over and over and over again and being able to point someone to an existing topic will help reduce clutter on the site. It also saves members from searching and jumping from topic to topic to get the info. it's "one stop shopping".

The Samba is only as good as we make it and we all need to help in making it better.

PLEASE Glenn, this topic topic in the accessories forum – seems like at least once a week, someone posts an inquiry about the authenticity a KDF groundbreaking lapel pin.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New additions to the Sticky/FAQS topics needed Reply with quote

lemke wrote:
Glenn wrote:

PLEASE Glenn, this topic topic in the accessories forum – seems like at least once a week, someone posts an inquiry about the authenticity a KDF groundbreaking lapel pin.

I made that into a Sticky so it's the official Badge thread
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen on other forums--yes i visit other forums--that they will have a whole forum dedicated to "introductions" or "post yourself" or whatever.
i don't know that we need a dedicated forum...maybe each forum could have it's own "intro" sticky.
another thing i was thinking is that each forum could have a "my first VW" or "i'm new to (model specific)" where you would find general info about VWs and your model in particular.
maybe just a title change/reorganization of the FAQ stickies that the forums already have?
IDK, just throwing out some ideas Smile

the only other thing i can think of is for the vanagon & bay bus forums to have engine swap stickies.
i personally don't care for conversions. i like the cars (and their engines) the way they left the factory.
it seems like a place is needed for these folks to discuss their EJVorTDITec swaps.
there are currently 5 topics in the vanagon forum and one or two in the bay forum, i'm sure that deal with alternate powerplants.
it seems that the space these topics use could be better used for some threads on personal hygene or maybe some phish setlists or something Wink
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we don't have an intro forum or stickies but people often introduce themselves in a section and detail out their car to have a car thread.

I feel it's better this way so they can have a thread for their car too.

I don't have a problem with their being a swap Sticky but people want their own separate threads, this has come up in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a diagnostic flow chart for the various common problems would help.
They used to be a common feature in repair books, and it is a standard in understanding any problem.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will gladly add it if someone has one for me to post.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New additions to the Sticky/FAQS topics needed Reply with quote

I've got one.... A "Where to buy" sticky.
I've been getting PM'ed with questions about where to get Ghia cabriolet parts. Often the search for those parts has to extend beyond the US shore and many could benefit with direct links to suppliers at the far corners of the earth.

So I propose a simple list of vendors for the wider scope of parts we need, especially the more obscure parts. The main suppliers would be listed of course, but also the more niche suppliers like Gabkey, Belchteil, Rudi Huber, Kev Fergusson, Jerry Heldt and so forth. The most trusted ones of course. It would be a locked thread so the list can be kept orderly by the moderators and not grow to extend to numerous pages and be hard to use.
Nicholas
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New additions to the Sticky/FAQS topics needed Reply with quote

I wonder if it's best to have a specific thread for Ghia stuff

We have this ongoing Barndoor Bus thread, although it's not exactly what you are asking
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256430
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: New additions to the Sticky/FAQS topics needed Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I wonder if it's best to have a specific thread for Ghia stuff

We have this ongoing Barndoor Bus thread, although it's not exactly what you are asking
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256430

You're probably correct. I should just start one up in the Ghia forum. I think there's a sticky with not much in it & bearing an almost ideal title. That might do the trick.
otherbeach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New additions to the Sticky/FAQS topics needed Reply with quote

I have been always curious why Barndoor Splits dont have their own "official good deal or official whines" thread...is it because they are already featured in regular Splits thread
Coming to you from God’s Own Time Zone: Central Time…up near the Illinois/Minnesota border. ** Note I am currently (mostly) INACTIVE in the bus community due to temporary life changes. My price tracking from 2016 to 2021 is now over and data stored offline **
"Cows at the border of the Dairy State and the Land of Lincoln are remarkably honest."
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New additions to the Sticky/FAQS topics needed Reply with quote

Basically Yes and the amount of those ads are very small.

I would guess the prices/values might be more up for debate too, due to rarity
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: