TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: voltage regulator Page: 1, 2  Next
Pemiller Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:07 pm

I don't find a wiring diagram with a voltage regulator included. What am I missing? The franken ghia has been converted to 12 volt, can anyone lead me to a wiring diagram w a volt reg?
Thanks

runamoc Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:32 pm

Depends....do you have an alternator? Do you have an external VR type of alternator? Do you have a generator? They are all wired differently

Pemiller Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 am

I have an alternator w two contact points one marked DF and D+.
Do you know of a resource for a wiring diagram which includes vr and alternator?

runamoc Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:43 am

Why, yes I do. It's in the 'Technical' section of TheSamba.com :wink:
This type of alternator has an internal VR, C1 is it in the drawing. To make it easy I posted the relevant section. It also shows another circuit ERG but who uses that? K2 is the idiot light. C is the alternator, you can see the D+ (DF) and the B+. Simple 2 wire connections. It also a thread hole in the alt. near where these connections are. It's for a ground wire, connect that too.

Pemiller Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:49 pm

This is just too simple of a question but I'll ask anyway. If I have an internal VR in the alternator why do I need the external VR? Can I remove the external?

jeffrey8164 Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:19 pm

Absolutely

runamoc Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:36 pm

Pemiller wrote: This is just too simple of a question but I'll ask anyway. If I have an internal VR in the alternator why do I need the external VR? Can I remove the external?

Just make sure the two big red wires are connected together and two 'little' wires are connected together too. That's all there is to it.

Pemiller Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:32 pm

Great, thanks
I'll check it out and see if I can find the correct wires, I may have to revisit this
issue. Thanks so much, you all are great!

Pemiller Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:56 am

With my new wiring harness, w/o VR, I have one big red/black wire going from ignition switch to battery. One big red going from dash light switch to starter solenoid. Small black to coil, blue to oil indicator and one blue left, that's all for wiring harness.
Have existing big red wire starter to battery
Think I need big red from battery to D+ side of alternator and the remaining blue wire to DF side of alternator
Am I close?
Thanks

runamoc Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:27 pm

Pemiller wrote: With my new wiring harness, w/o VR, I have one big red/black wire going from ignition switch to battery. One big red going from dash light switch to starter solenoid. Small black to coil, blue to oil indicator and one blue left, that's all for wiring harness.
Have existing big red wire starter to battery
Think I need big red from battery to D+ side of alternator and the remaining blue wire to DF side of alternator
Am I close?
Thanks

Big red/blk wire goes from ignition switch to the quick-disconnect tab on starter solenoid. Big red wire #30 from light switch to battery +. Blue /grn wire goes from the oil idiot light on one end oil pressure switch on the other end. The blue wire that's left, one end goes to alt/gen idiot light other end goes to DF. Your D+ is probably B+. Big red wire from it to battery +. You were kinda close :wink:

Pemiller Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:57 pm

Thanks, it's much simpler w/o the external VR and the wire connectors make more sense.
Assuming the alternator is a integral regulator type,, mine does have a D+ and a DF, hopefully it doesn't make a difference.
Thanks so much for your time and interest

runamoc Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:52 pm

Quote: Assuming the alternator is a integral regulator type

The external alternator connections

Pemiller Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:22 am

That assumption was made by a desperate man, one who started this project and now is fighting his way through it. Ignorance is hell sometimes.
I't was simple wo the VR and now I'm almost back to the beginning. My VR has a D+ and DF, so I have those connect to the alternator, have a ground on the VR and three other contacts, two oversized spades and one normal. How do those integrate?

The drawing you sent show a plug for the generator and mine has just the two contacts points with no other openings or contacts.
Thanks

Pemiller Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:38 am

two oversize spades are marked B+

runamoc Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:13 pm

upload a photo of what you have on your engine

Pemiller Wed May 01, 2024 12:41 pm

Era Vulgaris Wed May 01, 2024 1:30 pm

Pemiller wrote:

That's a generator, not an alternator. You need the voltage regulator.

Pemiller Wed May 01, 2024 1:39 pm

I looked at a 67 wiring diagram and it appears it has a similar configuration.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks again!

Era Vulgaris Wed May 01, 2024 4:36 pm

So what exactly is the issue you're having?
You have a generator and an external voltage regulator for 12V.
Look at a 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, or 72 USA wiring diagram. They all have generators with external voltage regulators in the schematics.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringghia.php

65 and earlier 6V cars had the VR on the generator, which is why you don't see it shown separate on the wiring diagram.

What year is the wiring harness for that you bought, since if I'm remembering correct, you have a 63 body on a 69 pan?

Pemiller Wed May 01, 2024 5:02 pm

I bought a harness for years 61-65