TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Longer tie rods for 6” beam.
Tow’dman Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:54 pm

I just installed a 6 inch wider front beam on my buggy I’m using the stock steering box that is mounted more to the driver side. My question is where do I find extended Tie rods? I have looked extensively and I cannot find them. I have a searched the forms can’t find any info. Moore has extended tie rods that I found but they’re both the same length for I believe a super beetle. I would assume that I would need them 3 inches longer on each side?

Dale M. Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:03 pm

Fabricate them?

Dale M. Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:04 pm

OOPS!....Double post....

DeathBySnuSnu Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:12 pm

I have never had that set up and it has been a very long time. All I have seen the past few decades have been center steer racks.
Somebody used to make lift spindles and wide beams...... Tweed.... Tweeds. Something like that. Call the places that sell wide beams Moore parts, Dan's Buggies, Claudes buggies...... ect

cbeck Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:52 am

Bet you will need a center steer box/rack. The long tie rod will likely hit the frame at full droop. Make your own tie rods out of tubing and properly sized weld in threaded bungs. Center steer should give equal length tie rods. Make 3 and carry the spare.
Edit. If using a vw pan the long rod will not clear the frame head without serious notching
At full droop, mine just clear the bottom frame rail.

mkparker Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:02 am

Pretty much no one uses a stock box with a widened beam. Best sugestion is the R&P mentinoned above.