TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil Leak
marius71 Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:41 pm

Hi there

My BD is still powered by a 25PS Type1 engine.
Besides the wrong engine number (starts with 1- instead of 20-), it's a quite authentic built with correct carb, ignition, fuel pump and so on.
It's a strong runner and took me already to many countries through Europe.

The engine was already refurbished by the guy owning the bus before, but he never finished the car. When I put the engine back in, it was already stored another 20 years and never used since.

I knew that the gaskets would not hold forever as they got old before the first firing. Indeed, soon after the first travels the engine started to mark the floor.

But the way it is leaking is kind of strange.
If the engine is running, the lower engine case is a little bit wet, which is nothing special for these kind of engines :-)
If I park the car, a rather big oil stain is growing below the engine after some hours.
I checked where it is coming from. I found out that the panel below the fuel pump was completely full of spilled oil. After a while oil drops from there to the floor.
I had the same issue 2 years ago and then changed the fuel pump, the gaskets and the bakelite part, because I was sure, that it came from a crack in the fuel pump case.
But it looks now like this has not helped. could it be that the oil is kind of pumped out by the fuel pump push rod?

I do not know if is this any known issue of these early engines. Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks.

RockStock Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:01 am

No expert but
Oil cooler seals?
Oil pressure switch?
Prob best off posting to the Engine forum