TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Gearwrench tap and die set help
crankbait09 Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:55 pm

I bought gearwrench tap and die set. I have used the dies a few times now, and they work great. No issues with them at all. Nice set.

There is one issue I have, that I can't figure out if it's operator error, or if it's how it's supposed to be.

When you use the ratcheting handle, you add the adapter to receive a die of choice. set the die in place, tighten it in place by the thumb screw. Once you start cutting the threads, you are limited to a specific depth due to the adapter having plastic stops in the center.

Unless I am not doing something right, but how do you chase threads on a long bolt? The bolt can't pass through the center.

I was cleaning threads, and I ended up using a ratchet / deep well socket for the extra height needed.

Am I missing something?

Here's the set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBC75S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Evil Clown Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:44 pm

Probably need to take it to a machine shop ... It seems like the old sets you could reverse it so that would not happen but I have slept since then :evil:

modok Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:36 pm

those plastic bits are adjustable pawls to help start the die square.
Looks a lot like a small three jaw lathe chuck, aka scroll chuck, and should work the same.
I assume these plastic pawls they adjust in and out by rotating the plastic ring on the outside.

This is from looking at the picture granted, but I am familiar with tools.

crankbait09 Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:37 pm

hmmmmm, thank you. i'll look at it closer tomorrow, see what i find

markswagen Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:24 pm

personally, l would dump the ratcheting handles all together, or at least lock them so they don't ratchet, those plastic things are a good idea l guess, once you have the thread started, you should back off the die and remove the plastic things, as you only really need them for starting the thread.

Abscate Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:27 am

Taps and dies are consumables , but most of us don’t use them enough to really figure that out unless your are in the trade 3 3/7.

For a critical job on an expensive part I buy a new one if I’m really cutting new threads vs chasing an old part

calvinater Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:42 pm

if you are just cleaning up threads , try using thread chasers,.