TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Eccentricity may not be dying out
finster Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:46 am

in a world where your peers are hooked on social media dare to be different...(read in that deep film voiceover style)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgpjpr35nko

&Dan Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:34 am

I read that article yesterday and forwarded it to several folks. I like that kid! His MO reminds me of Seth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_(cartoonist)

In a generally crummy world I can't help but feel fond of folks who engage as little as possible with the crumminess.

iowegian Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:35 am

finster wrote: in a world where your peers are hooked on social media dare to be different...(read in that deep film voiceover style)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgpjpr35nko
Rather inspirational.
I believe I shall go for a spin in my antique German auto now.
Toodles.

photogdave Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:22 pm

I also have a 1940s bakelite telephone in use. But I'm embarrassed to admit that I use my cordless more often. :oops:

(Still have never owned a cell phone)

Zundfolge1432 Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:12 am

A great story and many of us here cling to the past, we drive those VWs huh?
Somewhere along the line I gravitated to antiques of all sorts. But at the same time I’m happy with an iPhone if I were traveling through the Mohave Desert in summer. If I needed a complex medical procedure I’d go with the most competent up to date practice rather than even 20 years ago. One or two here may remember Accutron watch from 1960s it used a tuning fork to regulate the time rather than mechanical. They got it down to + or - 2 seconds a week. If you look it up pay attention to the Spaceview or Astronaut. This is just another antique collector type rabbit hole to go down. I dig all that vintage stuff but couldn’t confine myself to a decade or even century. Got a Grandfather clock from early 1800s. Another rabbit hole here.

raygreenwood Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:44 am

Electricity is dying out!!!!! :shock: ....we still got it here!

:lol: couldn't resist!

I like old items....things....some simple(like old writing instruments) and some complex like my VW 412 and my baseline late 30s Monophone dial phone.

I like them because as a designer myself....a lot of these everyday consumer products were better thought out for feel, made very robustly (for the materials of the day) and I like preserving history.

Do not even get me started on my small collection of fine vintage mechanical pencils some of which are fully automatic.

Like this one for instance of which I have two.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305117825701?hash=item470...R_bLoJWLYw

The fit, finish, weight, feel and operation is like nothing else. Ray

ALLWAGONS Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:55 pm

Reminds me of Screech, Every single high school has the dummy that wears the hat and wants to be different.

oprn Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:07 am

"Screech" is a beverage found in Newfoundland Canada that is only one step up from moonshine!

We have a love for old things too. We have 2 pump organs and a player piano, several oil lamps and 1 gas lamp. Then there is my model airplane engine collection with engines from the early '50's up to the late '90's. I have a few wrenches and wood working tools from my grandfather's day.

Dusty1 Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:45 am

oprn wrote: "Screech" is a beverage found in Newfoundland Canada that is only one step up from moonshine!

We have a love for old things too. We have 2 pump organs and a player piano, several oil lamps and 1 gas lamp. Then there is my model airplane engine collection with engines from the early '50's up to the late '90's. I have a few wrenches and wood working tools from my grandfather's day.

You can upgrade to a Hammond A100 or two when I clean out my garage. 8)

Motorhead joke:

All my cams are eccentric. :lol:

iowegian Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:58 am

Dusty1 wrote: oprn wrote: "Screech" is a beverage found in Newfoundland Canada that is only one step up from moonshine!

Are those left over from your days filling in for Booker T. Jones when he couldn't tour? :?

Dusty1 Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:23 am

iowegian wrote: Dusty1 wrote: oprn wrote: "Screech" is a beverage found in Newfoundland Canada that is only one step up from moonshine!

Are those left over from your days filling in for Booker T. Jones when he couldn't tour? :?

You're just jealous.

Old Hammonds are like old VWs. If you have space in your garage and someone is "getting rid of one", you just gotta drag it home.

oprn Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:51 pm

A good friend of ours did that, then he downsized and my brother got the Hammond, replaced a few tubes and got it working. He didn't play so gave it to my youngest sister. She downsized a year ago and wanted me to take it. No room, need to downsize too... broke our hearts but we took it to the dump...

Nobody wants that stuff anymore, not even the museums!

cdennisg Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:52 pm

oprn wrote: A good friend of ours did that, then he downsized and my brother got the Hammond, replaced a few tubes and got it working. He didn't play so gave it to my youngest sister. She downsized a year ago and wanted me to take it. No room, need to downsize too... broke our hearts but we took it to the dump...

Nobody wants that stuff anymore, not even the museums!

I'll bet there was at least one local musician that would have loved to own and play it.

Emily's Owner Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:21 pm

I have my aunt's shortwave radio (mine is in better shape than this pic) - doesn't really work on the flats (too much interference), but up on the mountain we'd get Russia, Japan and all sorts of countries stations coming in - no TV in the cabin, so other than games and books, this was our entertainment.

Emily's Owner Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:28 pm

oprn wrote: "Screech" is a beverage found in Newfoundland Canada that is only one step up from moonshine!
One step above? That stuff tastes the same to me :shock:

scrivyscriv Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:44 pm

raygreenwood wrote:
Do not even get me started on my small collection of fine vintage mechanical pencils some of which are fully automatic.

Like this one for instance of which I have two.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305117825701?hash=item470...R_bLoJWLYw

The fit, finish, weight, feel and operation is like nothing else. Ray
I signed in to put it in my watch list, then realized I missed the zero on the end

markswagen Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:39 pm

that is very cool, l take my hat off to the young bloke.

Abscate Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:08 am

Emily's Owner wrote: I have my aunt's shortwave radio (mine is in better shape than this pic) - doesn't really work on the flats (too much interference), but up on the mountain we'd get Russia, Japan and all sorts of countries stations coming in - no TV in the cabin, so other than games and books, this was our entertainment.

I’ve reported this to the appropriate authorities. They added it to my already thick file.

finster Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:15 am

"broadsword calling danny boy...do you read me...over"