TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: take 2 non-rat rat build Page: 1, 2  Next
mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:18 pm

started another buggy project july 22, going through it all and have taken many pics along the way. going to dump a few here to start today.
few pics are when it came home, and before/after lowering... the first time. more progress pics to be loaded, so stay tuned.
i've got another post called buggish build, showing more current pic.
more to come

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:22 pm

here's where the rear got lowered by inner splines, basically due to the outer splines being seized onto the swing plate.
also threw in some pics of getting berg adjusters in the front.
i have upgraded to some 3.5" drop spring plates that are adjustable since these pics were taken.

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:23 pm

lowered, but in these pics not final

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:27 pm

the transmission raise kit. thinking the last one was so close the ground, so i found about these, and went for it. awesome fabbed part i must say.
body took a beating when the sawzall came out. eh well

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:30 pm

start of the frame..

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:34 pm

power kings. too tall, but they're still on it as we speak. they are staying for now.

and also, a pic of the car literally every night, outside with a customer car on the lift

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:39 pm

heres more of the floor. support!
and the body did not fit well front and back, so here's some extra metal to fill the gaps. did not body lift the rear, just filled the gaps

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:43 pm

fitting seats, fitting floors

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:50 pm

more shots of the street sign flooring, little extra Support! everywhere

slayer61 Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:17 pm

Godammit, I gotta learn to weld one day! :oops:

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:08 pm

here it is getting some chassis saver, and also somewhere in between these pics i used autobody panel bond stuff, glued the floor pan pieces on, and threw a bunch of machine screws/nuts to secure them, then painted the floors as a whole

and got a facebook find muffler for an engine that will be repaired/replaced

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:11 pm

so i guess this is brakes? or brake lines/master cylinder install? these pics are coming straight from my camera roll from my phone.

i think we can see the rear plates installed too. 3.5" drop, and they're adjustable.

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:20 pm

the roll cage mock up. my buddy chris is an electrician, and knows a thing or two about bending some angles.
these pics show the headlights too, i did the last one this way, with no hood, and planned on this one going the same direction.

in my head i want a kubelwagen. and i have a dune buggy. and i do not want too much modern.

its been called goldmember, from the gold flake under this glorious blue. just wait

and the front tires. they're so small!

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:25 pm

this is when i did the king pins/link pins. wheel bearings, brakes, paint etc. must not have wanted to take pictures.

amazon reamer for the win. 13 bucks and worked like i think it should. king pin job was done on the shop floor with various hand tools. in and out without too many issues. i do wrench for a living, makes fabbing and repairs much easier

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:28 pm

built a front bumper. its not the same as i write this, it didnt last long.
my garage is always a mess

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:33 pm

trying to bend the warped body back to er.. straight...

and right before this time i must've put the amazon dynamat down.

the body was all warped on the bottom edges too. i bought this thick flat bar and bolted it down. the process over a few weeks with the warm weather was either tightening the ratchet strap, or the bolts on the flat bar trying to push the curls down.

and then started removing paint, for fun.

mattybobatty Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:22 pm

i am just throwing the pics on here, eventually they'll stop as i am still in the build process. will be uploading more pics when i've got the time.

what do you think?

if anyone remembers my last build, it was quite wretched, and most thought unsafe. i am going for a more solid and safe approach this time

last time:

mattybobatty Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:43 am

roll cage

mattybobatty Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:47 am

mattybobatty Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:50 am