TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Country buggy transmission
lightice Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi, anyone has any experience with the country buggy transmission?

I came into possession of a H case transmission.
It has large nut RGBs.

I have checked on thesamba for the owner's manual and only found the philippine version, but that didn't include the gear ratios in them.

EverettB Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:44 pm

I don't know if the ratios are the same as a Bus large nut transmission but this dedicated transmission thread may help you
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658674

lightice Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi Everett, I've checked through that thread.
The problem is the country buggy was produced after 67, while it used the large nut.

EverettB Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:35 pm

Does this brochure help?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/68countrybuggy.php
Specifically

lightice Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:30 am

I did glance through the material, but totally missed out on that.
Thanks!

Guess some who advised were wrong in that not all the gears were the same as the H case buses ones.

The third gear is different.
Did VW ever had a fine tooth 0.82?

Or did they retain the 0.82 coarse tooth?

Wonder what's the 1.26 one. :?:

lightice Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 pm

That's a bummer, I was hoping it was the longer 1.22 so I could have a 'stock' gearing on my bus.

lightice Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 pm

Coming back to the country buggy transmission.
Anyone has any parts diagram?
The reduction boxes look distinctively different from a split bus reduction box.

lightice Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:58 pm

Someone sent me the diagram of the reduction boxes, but not the transmission.

He also quoted the transmission parts as having:

Gear Train (3rd Speed) - 113 311 275A
Gear Train (4th Speed) - 113 311 341

Which is contradictory to the sales brochure.

if search the p/n the third would be a 1.22 and forth would be a 0.89.

nbturbo Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:15 pm

I came by a C/B front end and transmission complete many years ago.I have decided to overhaul the lot in readiness for a project.I have discovered that Holden Commodore front disc rotors fit straight onto the C/B spindles,so have had some adapters made to mount the Holden calipers.I have bought a full set of new bearings and seals to make it happen.I have located a double sided IRS gearbox with 4.12 diff and having that converted to swing axle and crown wheel turned over.I will do a disc brake conversion on the reduction boxes with the 5x120 stud pattern.This will give good highway speed with some big wheels on the back.

bally Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:22 pm

nbturbo wrote: I came by a C/B front end and transmission complete many years ago.I have decided to overhaul the lot in readiness for a project.I have discovered that Holden Commodore front disc rotors fit straight onto the C/B spindles,so have had some adapters made to mount the Holden calipers.I have bought a full set of new bearings and seals to make it happen.I have located a double sided IRS gearbox with 4.12 diff and having that converted to swing axle and crown wheel turned over.I will do a disc brake conversion on the reduction boxes with the 5x120 stud pattern.This will give good highway speed with some big wheels on the back.

Did you ever finish this gearbox mod? I’ve never heard of that before so curious to know how it worked for my own cars.

Cheers. Dave

nbturbo Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:05 am

bally wrote: nbturbo wrote: I came by a C/B front end and transmission complete many years ago.I have decided to overhaul the lot in readiness for a project.I have discovered that Holden Commodore front disc rotors fit straight onto the C/B spindles,so have had some adapters made to mount the Holden calipers.I have bought a full set of new bearings and seals to make it happen.I have located a double sided IRS gearbox with 4.12 diff and having that converted to swing axle and crown wheel turned over.I will do a disc brake conversion on the reduction boxes with the 5x120 stud pattern.This will give good highway speed with some big wheels on the back.

Did you ever finish this gearbox mod? I’ve never heard of that before so curious to know how it worked for my own cars.

Cheers. Dave
I had the transmission fully rebuilt using the later IRS box.The IRS box had a 3.88 final drive,but there was some reason why it couldn't be used.It is too long ago for me to remember.The specs listed in the brochure for 4th gear were not what was in my CB transmission,but again I do not remember what it was.I sent an early 40 horsepower transmission to the builder to get the course tooth 0.82 4th gear set to fit.The process that occurred with this job didn't go well.The guy building i, had it in his workshop for at least 3 years before he started the job.He contracted cancer early on and I didn't put any pressure on him because I had started my Beetle Ute project-so wouldn't need the trans for at least 4 years.When started,he took another couple of years during his chemo and drug therapy.This was one of his last jobs before he passed away.I had known him for about 50 years in the VW scene here and was a good friend and VW enthusiast.I still haven't finished my Ute project and am in 2 minds what to do with the CB transmission.

bally Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:31 am

Thanks for your detailed response. Sorry to hear about your friend passing. Good luck with the Ute. Time to get back on it? Dave

JeffL Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:53 pm

In my small cabinet of treasures I do have a County Buggy parts manual.

Is there something specific I can help with?

I always wanted a Country Buggy but stopped with the small fortune in the manual. One can hope.