TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 56 door striker
schwartzkafer Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:33 pm

I did a search on these, and have read that a 56 is a different striker, assuming original latch mechanism. What I put in is the ones that everyone is saying is for 57 on cars. Seems like my door is latching fine... So, my question is- would an original 56 latch work with the later striker, and if not, how will it act? I don't know if the latches are original, or the ones Wolfsburg West sells, that work with the later latches.

RareAir Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:20 pm

The door striker is pretty much the same on 1956-only compared to 1957-later.

VW did some minor improvements to the latch. If I remember correctly, the 1956-only version had a White wedge with a metal bottom. The later latches used an all Black plastic wedge.

57BLITZ Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:23 am

schwartzkafer wrote: Seems like my door is latching fine...
Your door closes properly . . . with two clicks.
Your latches and strikers must be compatible.

Your question is- would an original 56 latch work with the later striker, and if not, how will it act?
What are you referring to as a "later" striker? A part number would be helpful!

I've never messed with any Bugs older that '55 . . . they are, for sure, different than the later cars and there is no way you will mistake them for what you need to use.

I can tell ya a little about a few of the newer strikers.

Part #111 837 036 (for the right side.) . . . NON-ADJUSTABLE wedge. Uses two different lengths of screws for attachment. Hard to find nice, unbroken strikers.

Part #111 837 036A (for the right side.) . . . Wedge (usually off-white) has the adjustment screw. Uses two different lengths of screws for attachment. Hard to find nice, unbroken strikers.

The above strikers will interchange with each other as far as being able to latch the door.

Part #111 837 036B (for the right side.) . . . Wedge (usually black) has adjustment screw. Uses three short screws for attachment. These are the strikers that are reproduced. Will NOT work with the earlier latch because the bottom "notches" are spaced/shaped differently than the "notches" on the earlier striker plates. Use one of these striker plates with an early latch and the door will close to the first "click", but will NOT close to the second "click"!
Does this help answer your question?